Very Simple Wiring Question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Chuck » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:33 pm

I'm nearly done with my Cubby, and have already taken it on a short camping trip. I have the battery mounted on the tongue, but haven't wired between that and the fuse panel in the galley. From reading posts here, it sounds like I should have a master switch and a master fuse in the system. A few questions...
Can the fuse be located anywhere between the battery and the switch?
I assumed I'd mount the switch near the fuse panel. Is that OK?
I'm not 100% sure about the exact switch and fuse I need. Can someone give me specifics? I have the world's most basic electrical system in this tear. I only have a dome and reading light in the cabin, two porch lights, and two galley lights.
Thanks much!
Chuck
Chuck
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:39 pm

Chuck,

Your electrical system is very much like mine, except I don't have the porch lights, but I do have a vent fan.

I'd say the master switch is optional, and being optional, you can put it any where you want it in the high current positive lead from the battery. The fuse, IMHO should be in the positive lead close to the battery. I have a 40 amp breaker in mine, so that is an option you can consider as well.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:14 pm

I have a 30 amp fuse and a removable cutoff switch that I got at Checker Auto Parts. I will be able to shut off the 12 volt system and remove the red "Key" that way I know that I didn't leave something on and drain the battery. I will wire the fuse close to the battery then the switch.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:39 am

The fuse should be as close to the battery terminal as practical. The theory is, that there is less "unprotected" wire.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chuck » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks much guys. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Chuck
Chuck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:52 pm

I used a circuit breaker, 30A, in the wiring between the battery and fuse block, about a 12" run.
I'm also putting a breaker in the truck, in the line that runs to the trailer battery. It will go next to the battery in the truck.
I also want to put a relay in the line to only allow the battery to charge whne I want..Any ideas??
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby SteveH » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:59 pm

I also want to put a relay in the line to only allow the battery to charge whne I want..Any ideas??

Steve,

I'd use a Ford starter solinoid (cheap and will handle the current) and wire it to energize when the vehicle ignition is in the "on" position.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets