Piano door hinges

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Piano door hinges

Postby Jst83 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I am switching from regular door hinges to the piano style to give my heavy doors more support. Question, I know Stainless Steel is good for outdoor use and won't rust but I hate the shiny silver. What other choices do I have for piano hinges that aren't bright silver and are outdoor safe?
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Piano door hinges

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Jst83 wrote:I am switching from regular door hinges to the piano style to give my heavy doors more support. Question, I know Stainless Steel is good for outdoor use and won't rust but I hate the shiny silver. What other choices do I have for piano hinges that aren't bright silver and are outdoor safe?

If your doors are 1" thick or less Grant Whipp sells aluminum ones that work quite well and arn't shiny like stainless. You could also cover the knuckle of a SS hinge with rubber, I did that on my first TD, helped keep water out. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Jst83 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Does aluminum hold up to the weather? Will it rust, mine lives indoors most of the year other than camping. My doors are thicker than 1"
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Jst83 wrote:Does aluminum hold up to the weather? Will it rust, mine lives indoors most of the year other than camping. My doors are thicker than 1"
Aluminum has it's own problems of corrosion but won't rust.
Sounds like Stainless is your best bet or stay with what you have. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Scott, only chromed or highly polished stainless is shiny...regular stainless is a greyish color...the SS hinges I used on my first tear, which I got from Austin Hdw were that greyish color...unless they are designated as "bright", "shiny', chromed" or other such words, I think you will find them to be that "greyish" color..........
madjack 8)
p.s I can no longer, in good conscience, recommend Austin Hdw as a supplier...try McMaster or Alegis........MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:00 pm

madjack wrote:p.s I can no longer, in good conscience, recommend Austin Hdw as a supplier...try McMaster or Alegis........MJ

Inquiring minds want to know why. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 am

My 10 dollar, Lowes brass-plated piano hinges have held up very well for the past 6 years on my woody, and they don't leak a drop. Of course, I am building on the cheap, but it works for me.
Roly 8) :?
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Esteban » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:00 am

I bought stainless steel hinges from www.stainless-hinges.com. The finish is "Bright Annealed." I got one .060" gauge 2" x 72" hinge with countersunk holes. The hinge was promptly shipped inside a protective plastic pipe. It looks good. The door and hinge installation is probably months away. So no experience to share, yet, about how well they work. BTW, I got the thicker gauge hinge because it will fit the 1/8" gap on each side of the door I planned for.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:23 am

Roly Nelson wrote:My 10 dollar, Lowes brass-plated piano hinges have held up very well for the past 6 years on my woody, and they don't leak a drop. Of course, I am building on the cheap, but it works for me.
Roly 8) :?

That's what I wanted to hear something I can buy local and 6 years is good for me. :thumbsup: Thanks
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Walt M » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 am

Scott I used a living hiinge from McMaster-Carr it's polypro. hinge comes in colors and will never corrode. I also put half the hinge on the edge of the frame (I used the sandwich build method) then I applied the hinge to the door on it's surface (so only half the hinge is exposed)
Image Walt
All that is needed for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.
Walt M
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:56 am

Scott,

If you hate the shiny silver because it will be visible on the outside of your trailer, cover it with a strip of vinyl.
You'll probably need to anyway, to keep it from leaking.

If you don't want to see silver when you open the door, paint the hinge before installing it.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:14 am

48Rob wrote:Scott,

If you hate the shiny silver because it will be visible on the outside of your trailer, cover it with a strip of vinyl.
You'll probably need to anyway, to keep it from leaking.

If you don't want to see silver when you open the door, paint the hinge before installing it.

Rob

I think my biggest issue is not the silver, I'll probably paint it anyway to match my bizarre color scheme. I'm just not sure about using something other than SS
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 am

Walt M wrote:Scott I used a living hiinge from McMaster-Carr it's polypro. hinge comes in colors and will never corrode. I also put half the hinge on the edge of the frame (I used the sandwich build method) then I applied the hinge to the door on it's surface (so only half the hinge is exposed) Walt

How it it for UV? I like how that looks and if the outside is painted [white] fiberglass, it should blend in quite well. What was the cost per foot? and what length does it come in? I wonder if it could be used for the hatch?
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:33 am

kennyrayandersen wrote:
Walt M wrote:Scott I used a living hiinge from McMaster-Carr it's polypro. hinge comes in colors and will never corrode. I also put half the hinge on the edge of the frame (I used the sandwich build method) then I applied the hinge to the door on it's surface (so only half the hinge is exposed) Walt

How it it for UV? I like how that looks and if the outside is painted [white] fiberglass, it should blend in quite well. What was the cost per foot? and what length does it come in? I wonder if it could be used for the hatch?

I used the hinge for my hatch and it's 6'6" wide and have had no troubles with it other than sealing it only because of the way I mounted it :oops:

McMaster Carr :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Dean_A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:45 pm

I used an aluminum piano hinge from McMaster, and so far so good.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques