Screen Doors

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Screen Doors

Postby ERV » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi, After getting some of the yard work done and going to the flea market and a few other thing. I got to make the screen doors for the TD. Tryed the velcro style and didn't care for them, so I made my own.

They seem to work pretty good. Alittle tricky to put in when I am inside, but aftr a few times they went pretty good. Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Those look great. They should work as well as they look. I like how they fold for storage. I made a pair last year. They have a wood frame, are pressure fit and look alot like yours. They allow alot of ventilation.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ERV » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 pm

I went looking for some door skins but they didn't have any. Was going to glue the screen between two pieces, then cut it in half and hinge it. Then I went to the screen stuff. Basically the same idea, but right now I am using tape for the hinge. On the top I used thresholds and just cut that board you see in the pics for the bottom. Looks like it will work fine. And it does let a lot of air in. Might have to make the bottom solid. Next is a bigger window shade or curtain. that might help to keep some of the breeze out too. Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Marck » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Very nice I like those
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:21 pm

v-clever :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:38 am

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: Great design. I guess I need to think about screens. Would be nice to keep the bugs out and still get the breeze. Thanks for sharing yours. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:12 am

Looks sharp. You'll enjoy the breeze for sure!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Billy Onions » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:15 pm

Great job ERV :applause:

With my first trip in my tear likely to be Scottish Highlands home of the infamous midgie, I wonder :twisted:
Rolling Home
the gog blog

http://ukteardrops.blog.com/
Billy Onions
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ERV » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:56 pm

Bill, What the heck is a midgie? Must be something like our horse flies or black flies over here or it could be like the mukleheads up by the lake. But yea I think my screens will work good. Easy to make and not to bad price wise. $30 for all the stuff and I had them done in about an hour. Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:59 pm

The screen looks great! You could use a plastic hinge like the McMaster style too, a piano hinge might work just fine too. Either way it looks great to have the whole door as a screen! :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby ERV » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:16 am

Yes I was going to use to small hinges but the frames are to thin, Couldn't get the screws to hold in the metal. I used some tape I had to seal the windows here at home. It is clear and sticks really good. Should last a good long time. I also let the screen run from one panel to the other so the screen will give a little more strength too. Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:18 am

ERV wrote:Yes I was going to use to small hinges but the frames are to thin, Couldn't get the screws to hold in the metal. I used some tape I had to seal the windows here at home. It is clear and sticks really good. Should last a good long time. I also let the screen run from one panel to the other so the screen will give a little more strength too. Erv

I like the screens, need to make some for my trailer sometime soon. I might give pop rivets a try if in place of the tape. Sounds like an ideal application for them. But with the screen fabric bridiging the two frames along with the tape, you certainly have no worries about an open gap in that area.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Return to General Discussion