HOW I SPENT MY SUNDAY

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

HOW I SPENT MY SUNDAY

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm

78 AND SUNNY Is this really November in Indiana. Decided to take full advantage and reglue some veneer that is trying to seperate on the sides. and put a coat of marine spar varnish on the battle wounds from the summer. Guess I'll pad up the top with an old comforter and tarp my baby down and wait for January 17th.

Saturday I put the hitch on my toy car (Suzuki Esteem, kind of a shrunk down Neon. ) I had to test the light hookup so I hooked up Eggbert my motorcycle tear and tried it out behind the car. All the lights worked and it towed real well so I got brave and hooked up Chubby and took off for a 40 mile drive to visit some friends. That little car was very impressive towing my 5x10 the 5 speed manual make it a breeze to tow with. I may not get my full 47 MPG towing but I bet it will beat the hell out of the Grand Wagoneers 12-14 :applause:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark72 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm

Bob, Congrats on the successful test tow. I'll bet the G W will be hooked up for the Jan trip. Just in case right? You know how unpredictable winter driving can be. :thumbsup:

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:37 pm

It would be nice to have enough snow to be pretty but if it takes 4 wheel drive and a 4600 lb tow vehicle I will be at home chucking logs in the wood burner. That Wagoneer is impressive in better than 2 1/2 feet of snow but that little light Suzuki with Front wheel drive has been tested also. I don't normally call in and I drive 35 miles of country roads to work so if gettin' there is ever in doubt I will make a round robin 70 mile trip thru Lafayette and drop of old what's her name at work and drive on to Frankfort in the Grand Wagoneer. Hell "some day" I may even have to put it in 4WD :lol:

JEEP , YA JUST GOTTA LIVE IT !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby starleen2 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 pm

bobhenry wrote: Hell "some day" I may even have to put it in 4WD :lol:

JEEP , YA JUST GOTTA LIVE IT !

Put my little 06' Jeep in 4WD for the first time to pull out shrubs in front of the house. First time tio buy a chain as well. I had fun and I don't have to trim the shrubs!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Mark72 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:09 pm

I know what you mean about the jeep. My 93 limited has only been hung up once in the many years that i've had it. 4.5 ft deep drifted snow tends to make the wheels leave the ground if you hit it too hard. Better to take some time to get it knocked down first! With the quadra trac drivetrain I believe you could climb a tree!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Thought I would dust off this old thread rather than cluttering up with another one.

Jeff ( Scuba ) Vickie and I met at a small conservation club in Darlington Indiana on Sat 4/25 for a mini No Power outing.

and someone told me black was slimming :oops:

We are deciding what to do with ground lamb.

Gyros of course !!!! :thumbsup:

Image Too many Gyros I need a power nap :roll:

And the very best part :D

It's $5.00 a night for members and a 1 year membership is $50.00

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:12 pm

[quote="bobhenry"]Thought I would dust off this old thread rather than cluttering up with another one.

cleaned up a little anyway :oops:
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 pm

I seeing doubles,
Looks like a nice place and perfect weather for a powerless campout
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 am

Jst83 wrote:I seeing doubles,
Looks like a nice place and perfect weather for a powerless campout

It won't let me delete the double post !

Jeff said it was 62 minutes from door to door from Carmel.

On another note I gave him my xtra redneck antenna and he claimes to be getting 26 channels at home in INDY. He was getting 14 at the campground running on his inverter. Yes we were totally battery powered. No potty and no AC power is a different camping animal. You need to find new ways to do certain chores.

A perfect example BISCUITS. No toaster oven obviously , I didn't bring a dutch oven not even a cast iron skillet ( this mistake will never happen again ) So how do you make biscuits? My smokey joe Jr grill to the rescue.
Took out both grates hot coals from the campfire in the very bottom reinserted coal grate completely seal the biscuits in buttered aluminum foil and place on bottom grate. Then take the cooking grate to fire and cover with large coals from the fire shake off small ones then place grill over the foil packet.place lid on top loosely for extra air flow. They were pretty in about 10 minutes.

WE GOTTA DO A NO POWER WEEKEND !

It's kinda like a Shivaree just 'CAUSE ya gotta!

Talked with the campground owner and he will rent us an area for the weekend as a group. No money was discussed without knowing about how many. The very last picture above is a cul de sac area way in the back that will hold 8-10 teardrops and a nice bonfire area in the center. There is deadfall everywhere and the owners have no problem with help cleaning it up for campfire use. :thinking:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 11, 2009 6:51 am

Spent the Mother's day weekend with mom. Chauffered her here and there for all kinds of goodies and supplies and groceries. She is legally blind and can no longer drive so it is a real treat when she can get out. She has enough vision to get around just not drive. The 5 hour drive each way to Glasgow Ky is a grind but the weekend went well and my son came up from Smyrna TN to surprise her so we had a nice visit.

I want to tell the folks in the little silver? car towing a beautiful 4x8 stainless or highly polished aluminum teardrop we waved like crazy when you passed us just South of Columbus IN on Sunday afternoon on I 65. We were heading north and you were going south ,so whoever you were a big howdy !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kevin A » Mon May 11, 2009 8:58 am

Bob,

Is this the rig you saw?
If it is, it's Zyamfier from Minden, NE.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 11, 2009 9:59 am

It is damn close if it isn't. We'll have to ask him if he was in Hoosier land this weekend. It was every bit as good lookin if it wasn't this one. I was hopeing it was one of the members of the forum. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Midwest