Long time lurker...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Long time lurker...

Postby Slag » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Hello from DFW!

I registered almost 2 years ago, but have only recently become serious about the build. The biggest hurdle for me has been time and making a decision on the design.

My trailer will have to fulfill two completely different roles for me, and will have to fit in my garage thanks to the homeowners association. I recently bought a 5x10 trailer from another member here (wlivesey,) and it is perfect for my needs.

The primary use of the trailer will be for sleeping trackside at motorcycle races and track days. 6:30am registrations are a pain when you have to drive up to 5 hours to the racetrack, and hotels can almost an hour away from the smaller venues. Arriving at the track exhausted is not a good thing, but has been SOP for me. This trailer will allow me to drive up the day before and get a good nights sleep!

The secondary use will be for offroad trips. We usually make a multi-week trip up to the Ouray, CO area, and try to average 10 or so weekend trips per year to semi-local offroading parks such as Barnwell and Disney. OK.

Here are some my “Must Have” features

A/C – hot here in TX summers
Queen size mattress
Space to kennel a 100 lb dog at night
Light enough and tough enough to be dragged over rocks by my Jeep Rubicon

The dog kennel has been the most difficult issue to overcome. We are playing with several designs utilizing the Kwikee Super Slides for adding more space at the cost of more weight.

We hope to have the design figured out by the end of this week, and plan on starting the project in the next few weeks.

This site has helped a ton!! Thanks!!

Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Different is good

Postby Carter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:13 am

Welcome Slag,
Sounds like you need to build something a little different. That's good, the people here love different. 5x10 should be large enough to take care of your needs. You didn't say anything about a galley but the kennel could go under the countertop, lots of room there for man's best friend. House man's other best friend, the AC. in a tongue box or use (how appropriate) a Pet Cool for a little more money. If you used a stretched version of one of the more square designs, there could be a fair amount of galley storage. Besides, they look good with a Jeep. See StomperJ's Sawtooth @ http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=24959 and visit the off-road forum.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Would expect the dog to ride with dad uP in the jeep while on the road?
How about a collapsible kennel that could be mounted on the trailer hitch
of your Jeep when parked. The folded kennel could fit in trailer or jeep for
travel. This gives you options of locating said kennel when setting uP camp.
No major changes would have to be made on your trailer.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Slag.

When you get that design figured out, I'd like to see it too!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Slag » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

The dog will be sleeping in the trailer with us. She just prefers a kennel with an open door to sleep in :? My wife couldn't let her possibly sleep outside :lol:

My wife is an engineer, which will add plenty of needless complexity to the build (hope she doesn't read this board!!)

I have already run into my first stumbling block. The trailer is not square :cry: Luckily I can fix that :thumbsup:
Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Slag

The dog will be sleeping in the trailer with us. She just prefers a kennel with an open door to sleep in...

My wife is an engineer...

Welcome!

You've an unusual challenge, here. I suggest you assign your Wife the Engineer the project of a folding kennel (see sdtripper's post) that can hang on the outside of your wife's side of the teardrop, over/against her open door. Of course, this means that she may be crawling over you in the middle of the night to egress the trailer if nature calls. :-)~

This way, the dog is somewhat in the trailer with you, yet you and your wife will have plenty of room to sleep comfortably.

Again, interesting challenge... I look forward to seeing how your solution develops!

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Image to the playground Slag and better half. 8) Eventually they all read the forums. :R Teardrop focus is right for a large dog. Somewhere around here there is a slide out or flip up with tent for a dog. Great build, unfortunately I didn't bookmark it........

Someone will find it. 8)

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Link pics above ~ found here

Link pics above ~ found here

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2