One more question on screen doors...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

One more question on screen doors...

Postby rileydog » Mon May 04, 2009 12:45 pm

I know I've seen discussions on here before but having a hard time finding the old threads. I'm looking for ideas for screen doors so I can leave the side doors open at night and still enjoy AZ camping in my Tear.

I was thinking of some type of screen opening similar to a tent door, installed on the inside with a half moon type zipper for entering/exiting, but not sure where to find that shape zipper. Curious if anyone has an suggestions to simple ways of adding a screen door for a novice. :oops:

Thanks!
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby john » Mon May 04, 2009 1:27 pm

I like the velcro method I've seen suggested. The Velcro would be attached the perimeter of both the screen and the door frame.

Roll the screen up and store it when not in use.

The sunroof I am installing employs the same method.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby rileydog » Mon May 04, 2009 1:50 pm

that sounds easy enough.. What type of screen did you use? Is it easy enough to get in and out at night?
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ERV » Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 pm

I just made some for our tear, but the doors are not half moon shaped. I put in the type of screen they have for pets. It can take a lot of ruff treatment and not rip. Look at my album for pics. I would say you could sew one side of the screen to the velcro and the other side would stick to the wall. To get out at night you would just take it down. I tried velcro on mine the first time, was ok at night getting in and out. The thing I didn't like was during the day. Was hard to put it up not being in the tear. We like the fresh air to cool it off during the day too. I didn't see a picture of yours in your album, so I don't know the shape of your doors to give you some ideas.

Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon May 04, 2009 8:27 pm

you could do a regular screen door, but the problem is you need a pretty deep jam, which would then cause either the external door to be proud (which would make it hard to seal), or it would protrude inward which would take up space and clash with the mattress (I'm not talking color here); so, the Velcro doesn't seem like too bad of an idea and should be relatively easy to do. If you use the narrower strip it will go around the curve easier or you can do small straight segments. The hook part usually can be got with a glue back an the loop can be sewn onto the screen.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed May 06, 2009 6:12 pm

I built a wood frame just inside the regular door and it closes just like an inside door outward. No loss of room inside the living space.

Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby cdfnchico » Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Been thinkin' about the same thing...summers comin'! Found a lot of great ideas in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/cm6yly
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby PanelDeland » Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 am

I just had an idea pop into my head on screens the other day.I was removing the 5 year old sunblockers(the aluminized cloth type that fold up)from my truck window.One tore.I put it in the garage to go to the recycling bin.Then when I walked out a couple of days later I realized,hmmmmm what if I sewed some screen into it so it would still fold up and used it to cover the windows on the truck(I sleep therer when camping until I can build a trailer).It should allow ventilation and keep skeeters out.I haven't gone any farther than concept yet......
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby kennyrayandersen » Thu May 14, 2009 7:50 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:I built a wood frame just inside the regular door and it closes just like an inside door outward. No loss of room inside the living space.

It looks nice, but I don't see how it would work with a 3/4 or 1 inch wall thickness and not lose any interior space – can you give us a little cross section of how that operates? :thinking:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Reddiver » Sat May 16, 2009 8:54 pm

I have a camper van On the big back door I use sheers that go behind curtains. I hold them in place with rare earth magnets. The are inexpensive fold up to nothing and can be washed.
Steve
Reddiver
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion