Solution for our receptacle boxes for our thin walls--maybe.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solution for our receptacle boxes for our thin walls--maybe.

Postby IraRat » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:21 am

If I get the second door done by tomorrow, it time to start wiring Monday. One of the things that has been vexing me is trying to find boxes, for outlet receptacles, switches, and two sconce lamps, that won't protrude out from my 1 1/2" thick wall. That will sit flush.

Although awhile back someone suggested that some RV places may have narrower ones, I haven't found any, but talking to a friend of mine yesterday, he suggested this:

He said that HD sells a circular box called a Pan Box, which is mainly used for ceiling fan installation. He said it's 3/4 thick, has a whole bunch of punchouts, and the screwholes are positioned/eyed like regular square boxes.

Granted, using these, you would still have to trim them out for square receptacles and switches, but at least you can trim them more flush, and I think that would like nicer than the outlets sticking out so much.

Anyone ever hear of these? I'm gonna go look today.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:28 am

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby randy chesnutt » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:50 pm

rv supply has thin one, i know they are thin. how thin i don,t know. but it,s worth a try.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby mexican tear » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:44 pm

Irarat
The Mexican switches are really great. Let me know what your needs are and next week I will bring them to the States for you. Check out my photos and you can kind of see them. They are cheap, so I would suggest that you give them a try.

The shipping should not be to much If you do not like them, I'll "eat it"

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:40 am

Thanks for the info guy, and thanks for the offer, Kai. Let me post again Monday.

But here's something else to use for the equation:

I'm not using Romex; I wired everything with single solid copper, so fitting it into the box shouldn't be that much of a problem. Also, I'm not concerned with being to code--just safe.

I know that some devices won't fit in that wall, but some will. Yeah, HD has nothing, but MAYBE there's an electrical supply place around here that does. And while we're on the thread, does it matter whether it's a plastic or metal box?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

!

Postby IraRat » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:46 am

bledsoe3 wrote:IraRat, These don't look like they would stick out too much.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4562285507&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Hey...those look great. Three for 10 bucks (plus shipping). The problem is, you still need a narrow box. My two cabin lights are switched at the base, so i don't need on-off for those. But I need two for my porch lights.

So here's one of my OTHER dilemmas--for the porch lights, do you guys put the switches inside or outside? I doubt I can use these outside, but if I put them inside, they look cool!

Finally, I just realized to mention this--I'm going only 120V.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Geron » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:22 pm

Buy the switch. Forget the Box. Mount the switch to the wall and secure the wires to the wall behind the switch. Who needs code anyway 8) Seems a lot of RV's do that anyway.

OK not helpful at all.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:11 am

I picked up 6 metal pancake boxes yesterday--2 for the porch lights, 2 for the interior lamps, and 2 for the porch switches. No problem on fitting the lamps, because they simply screw into the box.

But I also bought two switches that I'll need for the porch lights, and from what I can see, the switch fits into the box. Is it like against everything right and holy from the back of the switch to touch the box? Because it seems to fit fine like that. (Maybe it protrudes a HAIR, but it's still better than a conventional box.)

The only problem is there are no punchouts on the side of the boxes, so I'm going to have to drill a few holes to secure it to a stud. Also, I don't have the exact diameter in front of me, but something tells me this is going to be a job for one of those "large hole" cutters. I know HF sells a cheap set of them; just don't know if that includes one that's the size I need.

As far as a suitable OUTLET solution for the cabin, I'll see whether I can find one with the ground fault trip that kind of fits in there, and box it if it sticks out from the wall to much.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Endo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:33 pm

Geron wrote:Buy the switch. Forget the Box. Mount the switch to the wall and secure the wires to the wall behind the switch.
Geron

I did something similar. I framed a "box" using the same 1x2 poplar as I used to frame the walls. Mounted the switch in the coverplate (small switch rated for 120v). Screw the coverplate to the wood box. Works great and cheap!
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

no box....

Postby jay » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:36 pm

sniff, sniff

what's that i smell?

something's burning you say?

can't be; i just spent 6 month's spare time building this new trailer....
jay
Donating Member

Re: no box....

Postby Endo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:53 pm

jay wrote:sniff, sniff

what's that i smell?

something's burning you say?

can't be; i just spent 6 month's spare time building this new trailer....

Do you really think electrical wires only fail in the box. How about all that unprotected wire running through the wood walls and ceiling!

Or did you run all your wire in metal conduit?
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:17 am

Well, I used solid copper, and there's no changing it now. But the wires are going to be secured to the boxes, through the punchouts, with one of those locking "things" that clamps them tight to the box.

Is "thing" the correct technical term for that part?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby BILLYL » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:18 am

Ira-

I would suggest that you consider using outdoor boxes and where ever wire will be exposed put it into some conduit. Although there are no codes for these trailers - you are running 120v and the chances of you scraping and exposing wire and the chance of fire is pretty good. Just think of the trailer as a mini version of your house.

Good Luck

BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:57 am

Bill, the boxes are metal, so isn't that cool? Also, on any exposed lengths, which would only be a few inches near the devices, receptacles, I was thinking about wrapping them pretty well with electrical tape.

Except for from the box to the main receptacle, mounted in the wall, where I would use conduit.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby BILLYL » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:14 am

Ira-

Metal is fine - I thought outdoor boxes since they won't rust. Either way your OK.

IMHO - even if it is a very short distance I would put it into some conduit - with good mechanical fastners. You can get some flexible conduit at your local home center that should work fine.

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets