jack stands

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby doug hodder » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:25 pm

P-burn....I know that a lot of people don't like the Atwood jacks...but that is what I'm using...I use a drift punch to raise them as I can stand on it to raise the trailer, without bending...I can lift the tire fully off the ground to change it using them...they do hang underneath the frame on mine...and you do run the risk of tearing them up if you aren't careful...but that's what is on my Coleman pop-up...and I've had good luck with them...2 on the aft end and the swingaway wheel on the front...Just what I did....Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: jack stands

Postby Kevin A » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:26 pm

powderburn wrote:What are you guys using for stabalization jacks?
I see some tear construction pages that show jacks coming off the back corners.Are these for leveling your tears or to keep it frome bouncing when the wife tosses and turns?
I built a couple jack stands for mine but,I think they make matters worse than if it was setting on its tires.As near as I can tell,to be more effective,they would have to be welded to the frame to work properly.I also noticed that the tongue mounted jack has a lot of slop in it.Do you leave your tears hooked to the tow vehicle when sleeping?Will my wifes tossing and turning cause us to roll down the hill and into the river?

:thinking:

Powder,

I have a pair of aluminum screw type jack stands, I put one under each front corner of the frame then lower the tongue jack to the point where the trailer appears level and there is still a slight load on the tongue jack, it nearly eliminated movement of the trailer during the night. I also use wheelchocks for the trailer wheels. On my recent trip to Bonneville, I packed a friend's 16 year old son along. He camped out in the back of the truck while I was in the tear, my mistake the first night was to leave the trailer hooked up to the truck. Every time that kid rolled over in the back of the truck it shook the heck out of the trailer and woke me up. :x Funny thing is though, the next morning he tried to blame the quake on me. :fb Needless to say, from that point on the trailer gets disconnected. :thumbsup: Here's the type I use.
Last edited by Kevin A on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Chris C » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Powderburn, try here: http://tinyurl.com/dxcuy
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby demtears » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:41 pm

Hey Powderburn!
check out the fulton rv stabilizers from Northern tool they have a pair you can install on the aft of your tear. And reasonably priced Ive seen these for $ 25 dollars for one on ebay! Northern tool has a pair for $34.99
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/1025.htm
Once the tongue jack and rear stabalizers are level use wheel chocks.You can make a set by glueing 2x4s together, cut the radius out, drill install eyelets and attach together with rope make a pair or you can buy them. here is a site http://www.checkersindustrial.com/
Good luck! :)
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:12 am

I really like the BAL T-Type stabilizer jacks. They are a few dollars more, and worth every penny.

They call them stabilizer jacks, because they are designed to stabilize your trailer, not lift it. But our teardrops are so light, that we can lift, level, or stabilize... your choice!

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-j ... -jacks.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DestinDave » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:07 am

Mike, thanks for that link to PPL... Since the BAL jacks were on sale there until 09/16 I went ahead and ordered a set this morning. One question for you - in the pic you posted, there are mounting holes on the end of the adjusting leg. Are those to mount a "foot" and it just isn't shown in the picture?
Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:08 am

Yes there are optional base pads that you can buy... they are quite nice actually... I had them on the Baja Benroy... Here's some information on them... go to the bottom of this page...

http://www.norcoind.com/bal/products/co ... abjack.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby randy chesnutt » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:38 am

i purchased sizzer jack from a junk yard. i got 4 for $20.00. welded it them to the trailer frame and they work great.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby RKH » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Have a buddy who used the scissor-type. (His trailer -- a converted pickup box-- sets on 35 inch tires). Mounted a 2 inch receiver vertically and attached a bar to the jack to reach that high.
When sleeping, it sets on tongue jack, both tires and the receiver mounted one in the center of the rear.
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:27 pm

randy chesnutt wrote:i purchased sizzer jack from a junk yard. i got 4 for $20.00. welded it them to the trailer frame and they work great.

Ditto...I got mine for $10... :R :R
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby backwoodsman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:27 pm

How high/low do you mount them?
Mine barely reaches the floor. I think I need to lower them, but I don't want them to be visible when in the up position.
Thanks,
Greg
You don't know what you don't know!
backwoodsman
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:44 pm

You could always bring a chunk of 4X4 with you if they don't reach the ground. It would be a good idea to bring a couple because the ground may not always be flat.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:55 pm

And if you fully extend the jack it will be wobbly......
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:07 pm

backwoodsman wrote:How high/low do you mount them?
Mine barely reaches the floor. I think I need to lower them, but I don't want them to be visible when in the up position.
Thanks,
Greg

I can sell you a jack stretcher... :R :R
I use chunks of 4x4, like 'Flava said.
If you wanted a more permanent setup, how about bolting on some blocks, to the base. They would tuck up into the frame just like the jack base does now.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby DestinDave » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Just carry a couple pieces of 2x6 in the trunk of your tow car to use for uneven terrain or in cases where the ground falls away from the wheel location.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques