axle odometer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

axle odometer

Postby Dave Nathanson » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:36 am

Hey, does anyone know what kind of axle odometer is availalbe to put on a TD? Is that even what they are called? Hubodometer? I just thought it would be sort of cool to know how many miles are on it, instead of a wild guess. Good to know when to grease the hubs too. I just got a Northern Tools master catalog, but didn't see any axle odometers or mileage meters of any similar kind. Ideally, I'm hoping this would be an easy bolt on deal.
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Re: axle odometer

Postby Joseph » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:24 am

Dave Nathanson wrote:Hey, does anyone know what kind of axle odometer is availalbe to put on a TD?

I don't believe there is such a thing, probably because everyone already has an odometer for their trailer - it's in the tow vehicle. Most trailer haulers who are interested in the mileage on their trailer (such as myself) keep a log of miles traveled with the trailer.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby demtears » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 am

Dave.
I was thinking about the same thing, I came across in a local bicycle shop an odometer with a remote pickup that attaches to the wheel and the receiver or counter could be installed on the inside of the camper. I dont know how accurate this would be and if it would count hiway speed I haven't researched into yet but I would like to know distanced the tear traveled and to incorporate it into my build.

JUST A THOUGHT! :thinking:
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:19 am

demtears wrote:Dave.
I was thinking about the same thing, I came across in a local bicycle shop an odometer with a remote pickup that attaches to the wheel and the receiver or counter could be installed on the inside of the camper. I dont know how accurate this would be and if it would count hiway speed I haven't researched into yet but I would like to know distanced the tear traveled and to incorporate it into my build.

JUST A THOUGHT! :thinking:

Being a cyclist, I am familiar with cyclo computers. They use a magnet attached to a wheel spoke, usually on a front wheel. A pickup is mounted to the frame. The computer work counting the number of times the magnet passes the pickup.

Cyclo computers need to be calibrated for your wheel circumferance. I figure this by marking a line on the wheel and rolling it along a measuring tape. You'll need to make sure the computer supports your wheel diameter including the tire. If you can find one that supports your wheel diameter, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on a tear drop.

Installation may be tricky. You'll have to do some fabrication to adapt it to your teer. The magnet needs to pass very close to the pickup for it to work. And, the pickup wires are very fragile. I use wireless cyclocomputers on my bikes to avoid that problem.

Besides acting as an odomoter, they can tell you trip distance, average speed, total trip time, etc. They start at around $20. You can get them at any bike shop or online at Bike Nashbar
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby demtears » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:43 am

thank's tom!
thank's for the info it's nice to know it is possible I was considering the wireless type. :thumbsup:
now if I can only fabricate a bracket! to put my car's odometer on my bike. :lol:
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:56 am

demtears wrote:thank's tom!
thank's for the info it's nice to know it is possible I was considering the wireless type. :thumbsup:
now if I can only fabricate a bracket! to put my car's odometer on my bike. :lol:

I've never actually adaped a cyclo computer for use on a tear. But, for $20 and a few hours of your time, I guess its worth the gamble.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joseph » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:23 am

TomS wrote:I've never actually adaped a cyclo computer for use on a tear. But, for $20 and a few hours of your time, I guess its worth the gamble.

Well, to each his own. I'll stick to my truck's odometer since I'd much rather spend that twenty bucks on good whisky and spend those few hours of my time drinking it... :tipsy:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:36 am

Try at a truck stop or truck service centers. I know they still use those hub odometers on semi trailers. If they don't have them they can prolly point you in the right direction.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:45 am

Joseph wrote:[Well, to each his own. I'll stick to my truck's odometer since I'd much rather spend that twenty bucks on good whisky and spend those few hours of my time drinking it... :tipsy:

Joseph

:wine:
I need to camp with you.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Dave Nathanson » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 am

Well, I googled around and didn't find a lot, but here's a picture at least. eBay is good for that.
http://search.ebay.com/hubodometer
and
here's a mention by someone who found what he was looking for;
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 489080.cfm

BUt I can see that it's crucial to get one that is calibrated for your tire size. The eBay sales don't mention that (much).

Looks like this item is more rare than I expected! Stemco & VEEDER-ROOT are the 2 brand names.
Hmmm...
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:41 pm

A cycle computer should work well in this application. They get used on some motorbikes and the 'Sigma' brand seem to have the best speed ratings - certainly they work to well over 100mph.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:13 pm

I got my bike up to 67 mph once, at least according to my little speedometer. And after calibrating it to how white my knuckles were I'd say it was correct. I dont think the wireless ones will work, the transmitters are very week they only have to goa about 2 feet through clean air. Our metal exteriors will block that. but the wire is very small.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby cracker39 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:31 pm

I didn't see whre anyone mentioned wheel travel up and down over bumps. If the pickup is mounted to the chassis, the wheel bounce might affect the pickup as the magnet will change position when the wheel moves up and down. Personally, I'd just keep a log from the tow vehicle's trip odometer.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby demtears » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Thank's guy's!
and that's moving on a bike Ma3tt!
For the trouble I think I will give it a try, I would just like to keep a log when my build is complete on mileage the actual trailer travels, rather then overall distance of the tow vehicle, Im to lazy to keep a log everytime I disconnect my trailer and drive around sightseeing or picking up supplies when I get to my destination.
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby demtears » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:45 pm

cracker39 wrote:I didn't see whre anyone mentioned wheel travel up and down over bumps. If the pickup is mounted to the chassis, the wheel bounce might affect the pickup as the magnet will change position when the wheel moves up and down. Personally, I'd just keep a log from the tow vehicle's trip odometer.

On my flexiride axle there's mounting holes for brake's if needed! since I wouldn't be needing brakes, I would mount a small bracket with the transmitter! And the magnet on wheel rim then the distance would always be the same. :thumbsup:
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques