Whitewater rafting recomendations in CO?

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Whitewater rafting recomendations in CO?

Postby WarPony » Sun May 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Well, we are going back to Colorado next month for vacation. Last year we rafted the Arkansas River through the Royal Gorge and loved it!! It was our first time rafting.

I've been doing some research but can't make up my mind on which river to shoot. I'm leaning toward the Animas but am open to suggestions for some other class III-IV rivers. We don't have kids so that won't be a consideration but would like a one day trip because we do have a couple of dogs and they can't be left alone while we do a multi day trip.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 am

Jeff
the wildest ride I've had was somewhere south of Breckenridge and north of Colorado Springs. If I remember right it was some sorta Canyon. It was a guided trip and the biggest water I've been in. When they took the pic you didn't see much raft just people sticking out of the water. It was a 5' wave with a 10' drop on the other side. :?
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:27 am

The Animas is great. If you go to Durango, some of the companies offer rail and raft package deals. You ride the D&SNGRR into the canyon and raft back down. There are some good III's and IV's that way, maybe even a V or two, depending on the snow melt and when you go. There are several companies in and around Durango...this is the one we used...

http://www.durangorafting.com/

Raft-n-rail...

http://www.durangorafting.com/adventures/durango-train-rafting-packages.php
(this one you ride back to Durango...but I think some offer the option to raft back)

Good luck and have fun!!!
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Jeff Just figured out what trip we took that was so good it was Brown's Canyon. Lots of 3's and 4's.

http://riverrunnersltd.com/arkansas_riv ... rado.shtml

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Gary that looks fun ! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WarPony » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:22 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Jeff Just figured out what trip we took that was so good it was Brown's Canyon. Lots of 3's and 4's...

That is the one we saw on last years vacation. Cool trip, the river ran right along I-70 and the canyon walls were stright up on both sides......... beautiful country.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby queeniejeanne » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 pm

The headwaters of the Arkansas have been pretty good the last two years, just out of Salida, Co......Then you have all the off road stuff in and around Beuna Vista, like Tin cup pass., high clearance only....two for one deal in that area of CO...have fun...will be there in Sept/oct ourselves..always when the aspen turn....aspen ridge is awsome and the town of Vicksburg. Queenie Jeanne
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby mollyteardrop » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:54 am

I live in Canon City, so the Gorge is a favorite, water is running about 2,000 cfs right now! But since you have done that trip, one we really like is outside of Kremmling, CO...on the Colorado. You can do the wild ride through Gore Canyon or put in after that for an easier trip. There is also a great trip on the Colorado outside of Grand Junction called Westwater, or look into trips on the Colorado in Moab.
Rafting...just such great fun!
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WarPony » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:20 pm

We have decided to do the Colorado in Brown's Canyon first then head SE and do the Arkansas near Buena Vista. Not sure of the companies we'll be using but we'll see when we ge there. There's quite a few to choose from.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby mollyteardrop » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Have a great time! There are lots of companies and they all have comparable prices. Ask about 'The Numbers'....really difficult ride.
Enjoy the Collegiate Peaks and BV! Look into the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. Beautiful, located close to some chalk cliffs, big hot springs pool with other smaller pools built right into the cold stream so you sit in the hot but can jump into the runoff of the stream. Pretty great!
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Return to North Central