Water Delivery

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Water Delivery

Postby jim7310 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:27 pm

To all of you experienced TD builders,

What is your preferred way of getting water from your water tank to a dispenser in the galley?

I have the Cubby plans showing the electric pump hookup, but am interested in other options.

Jim B.
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Postby goldcoop » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 pm

Jim B.

I installed a 12v pump to pump from my water holding tank to my facet/sink.

I have a outside fill inlet to fill my holding tank, etc.

I went thru all these gyrations and it is a pretty slick arrangement; the only problem is I never USE it!

Convenience seems to take over; I always seem to bring along a handy jug of water or two and there always seems to be a water source handy where we camp...

I think you will find most Tears to have a plastic water jug (Relience, Coleman)with a tap on it and let Newton's Law do all of the work!

Sooo I'm probably going to convert the sink area to allow for more storage!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shiro » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:08 pm

I use gravity. I have a 7 gal jerry can on its side and pull it out so the spout is over the edge of the trailer. Just open the spout and fill 'er up.

Keep it simple.

But then I use old tin cans (big ones) to cook in

:lol:
Shiro
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AmyH » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:12 pm

I have a hand operated pump that I plan to use for mine: here. One less electrical thing that can get messed up.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:18 am

Hi

Mechanical pumps can mess up too........... In my years of camping I have seen many mechanical pumps out of action and only ever one electrical pump failure.

There is a lot to be said for simplicity though gravity fed (cant really fail!) means lugging and loading a moveable container (packing and unpacking too on arrival and leaving) even for a Highway coffee break.

For those that want a bug out trailer and the ability to filter any questionable water, a decent electric pump makes filtering far easier, hand pumping is possible but may become hard work if you get sick.

All three have plus and minus points
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby darkroomsource » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:01 pm

boys, one of you go fill this water jug.
-- Andy Hughes
My Teardrop
<><
Grace Happens
darkroomsource
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Q » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:52 pm

I have a 10 gallon plastic tank (which was made for a small camper) mounted under the counter in the galley. A plastic hose attaches to the bottom of one of the sides of the tank. The hose leads to a plastic valve at the center rear of the teardrop, just above the frame. It's gravity feed, simple, convinient, and easy to drain for storage.

Originally I had a sink installed on the counter with an electric pump but decided counter space was more usefull. Now I just use a plastic tub for a sink.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:54 am

GeorgeTelford wrote:There is a lot to be said for simplicity though gravity fed.

This was MY initial plan, until I looked at the where the jug would have to go, how to rig it, and what other needs I wanted to meet.

So I decided to splurge on Coleman's Hot Water on Demand unit, where the 5-gallon container can sit on the ground, it has a rechargeble pump, and also heats the water--great for showers too.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby GeorgeTelford » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 am

Hi Ira

I think the initial post is for cold water only (unless I am misreading it)

By gravity fed I meant something like this from Cabalas

Also available as pure water dispensor's you know the kind of thing I mean.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:36 pm

GeorgeTelford wrote:I think the initial post is for cold water only (unless I am misreading it)

The Coleman unit does it for cold water too, not just hot. That's what makes it so cool:

The built-in pump is rechargeable, and you can fire up the small propane canister to give you hot water as well.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Re: Water Delivery

Postby Gage » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:34 pm

jim7310 wrote:To all of you experienced TD builders,
What is your preferred way of getting water from your water tank to a dispenser in the galley?
I have the Cubby plans showing the electric pump hookup, but am interested in other options.
Jim B.

I installed a 9 gal water tank under my floor and behind the axle (out of the way of needed space in the galley area). I then use an 12v elec. demand pump (J.C.Wittney) to bring the water up where I need it. Just the way I did it and it's worked for me for two years now.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:56 pm

I'll have a galley inside my trailer and originally planned to install a sink and 7 or 10 gal tank, but changed my mind. If I do put one in, I'll use an electric pump. I see some of you have found out what I'm thinking, that is counter space is preferable to having a sink. After all, water is usually available and when I tent camped, I used a 5 or 6 gallon water carrier with spout on it. We'll use paper plates and do most of the cooking on the grill anyway. I don't really see much need for a sink. If later I think I need one, I'll just add it to the galley. My design allows for installing a sink and water tank with no other mods necessary.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques