Uniflex 255 Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Uniflex 255 Question

Postby Grey Duck » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:05 pm

I am planing to build the "weekender" and am thinking of using Uniflex 255.

Will this coating handle getting rubbed by branches on forrest service roads?

Thanks

Robert

8)
I should put pontoons under my teardrop then I could lay in bed and fish out the door.
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:16 pm

i would expect so.. the only place 60 grit sanding with an orbital sander gets down to bare wood in on corners.... so you might have to touch it up once a year or so, but i doubt a small branch will do much to it.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Grey Duck » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:19 pm

arnereil wrote:i would expect so.. the only place 60 grit sanding with an orbital sander gets down to bare wood in on corners.... so you might have to touch it up once a year or so, but i doubt a small branch will do much to it.

Thats good because the Forest Service is not known for having wide roads.

Robert
I should put pontoons under my teardrop then I could lay in bed and fish out the door.
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Re: Uniflex 255 Question

Postby TomS » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:37 pm

Grey Duck wrote:I am planing to build the "weekender" and am thinking of using Uniflex 255.

I used Uniflex on my tear. I don't think you'll have a problem with abrasion. It seems like pretty tough stuff.

I haven't towed mine anywhere yet. Already, it has become a real dirt magnet. Mine is white and it shows dirt and dust like you wouldn't believe. Once I finish mounting my doors, I'll try to wash it. I can't imagine what it would look like after towing over dirt roads. At the very least, you should consider a color other than white.

You might want to check with Arne. He also used Uniflex and has reported similar problems.

I have more information about my experience with uniflex on my web site at http://www.tomswenson.com/teardrop/skin/index.shtml
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:40 pm

last time i put on 255, i dragged it, or 'tipped' it with a foam brush. the finish is much smoother than just rolling it. I'm not sure if it will stay cleaner or not, but if i still have a dirt problem, i plan on using scrubbing bubbles, a bathroom cleaner on it, and waxing it... that should help a lot.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Uniflex 255 Question

Postby Grey Duck » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:44 pm

TomS wrote:
Grey Duck wrote:I am planing to build the "weekender" and am thinking of using Uniflex 255.

I used Uniflex on my tear. I don't think you'll have a problem with abrasion. It seems like pretty tough stuff.

I haven't towed mine anywhere yet. Already, it has become a real dirt magnet. Mine is white and it shows dirt and dust like you wouldn't believe. Once I finish mounting my doors, I'll try to wash it. I can't imagine what it would look like after towing over dirt roads. At the very least, you should consider a color other than white.

You might want to check with Arne. He also used Uniflex and has reported similar problems.

I have more information about my experience with uniflex on my web site at http://www.tomswenson.com/teardrop/skin/index.shtml

I was thinking of the grey color that was on the Rot doc website.

I don't care if it got dirty just let the rain wash it off.

I looked at your write up on the application process and it looked simpler
than using aluminum.

Robert
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques