Ants

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Ants

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:38 am

I just read and interesting article that claims you can put out a couple of banana peels for awhile. Just go back and pickup the peels with the ants attached and put in the garbage. I don't personally know if this works, but might be useful to someone.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:02 am

For people in the South, It's not a good idea to pick up something with ants all over it. You will probably get bitten.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

d.earth

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:46 pm

I have already thought of taking in my teardrop, some d.earth. I can't think of how to spell the name of that stuff... diceatumus earth? Or something like that . A grainy type thing you can spread out to distract slugs, beetles, maybe even ants... the tiny rocks are sharp and will poke the insects when they try to crawl over it.

I think this would be good to sprinkle around the perimeter of the tear when camping,

Anyone ever used this stuff?

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ceebe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:57 pm

diatomaceous earth seems to be an effective deterrent. My brother uses it to keep ants from eating the cat's food. It can be bought fairly cheaply at a pool supply store. I've heard that baking soda does a similar thing.

I hate ants.
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby Bigwoods » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:38 pm

I swear by 20 Mule Team Borax. Put out a little dish or sprinkle around and it wipes the out. Also Terro is an excellent product. It is found in Grocery and hardware stores.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:19 am

Try talcum powder ( non scented if possible) . Works for us
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:14 am

Comet and Ajax work fine too. The one that can be fun is sidewalk chalk.
Is it the chalk or the bad art that scares them off?? :lol: :lol:
Not sure if it is true or not but I understand all these products have hurt there little feet. :roll: :?
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:05 pm

I've heard, and don't quote me, but, it seems that insects resperate through their legs, and all these powders clog up their little leg lungs and they can't breath, so they leave and post little signs to warn their buddys not to approch they badlands. :o
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:00 am

I think the ants in my yard tried a coordinated attack on my house the other day. I put some of that Orthene powder on some ant hills that popped up after the rain.

The following day I checked them to see if they moved. I found this huge mound at the foot of my slab with 2 lines of ants going up the slab. I kill that mound then I see another one with 2 lines of ants going up the slab. I walk around the house and find 3 more smaller mounds with ants on the slab. I put more powder on them and I think they are gone.

I think that Orthene just makes them mad then they move. I usually don't see any carcasses, just an empty mound. This time I saw a pile of dead ants on top of the mound.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:06 am

My wife goes ape $hit if she even sees one ant. The next day an exterminator is out. With a follow up scheduled in advance. God help me if she ever sees a roach! It'll be armageddon in my house. I'll have to ship my kids to their grandparents for a week.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:56 pm

Whatever you do, don't go to Florida. Bugs are a way of life there, you just get used to it I guess. Doing something like moving a pile of bricks can be a lesson in Entomology. I still don't know what half the bugs were. If you do go there, here is a little warning, "Palmetto Bugs" are really 2-3in long flying cockroaches.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:07 pm

asianflava wrote:Whatever you do, don't go to Florida. Bugs are a way of life there, you just get used to it I guess. Doing something like moving a pile of bricks can be a lesson in Entomology. I still don't know what half the bugs were. If you do go there, here is a little warning, "Palmetto Bugs" are really 2-3in long flying cockroaches.

...shoot Rocky, ya don't haveta go all the way to Florida for that lesson, just comeon over to your neighbor(La.) We call those big flying things "wood" roaches over here
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:27 pm

Yeah I pretty much could have just said "The South"

One night I had some bug fly into the garage, it was so big I thought it was a hummingbird. I tried to catch it to see what it was, but I couldn't. All I saw was that it was slightly reddish on it's back, and did I mention BIG? I got tired of hearing it fly into everything and I didn't want a trail of ants leading to it's dead carcass so I turned the garage lights out and left the outside llights on. It was gone when I came back.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:02 pm

asianflava wrote:Yeah I pretty much could have just said "The South"

One night I had some bug fly into the garage, it was so big I thought it was a hummingbird. I tried to catch it to see what it was, but I couldn't. All I saw was that it was slightly reddish on it's back, and did I mention BIG? I got tired of hearing it fly into everything and I didn't want a trail of ants leading to it's dead carcass so I turned the garage lights out and left the outside llights on. It was gone when I came back.

Before going any further, let me preface my story, it was long long ago, I was a teenager in Arkansas and intelligence was not necessarily part of the equation.
We has something like the above flying around inside our house. I decided to catch it...with my hands!!!!!. :thinking: :crazy: I did. I turned out to be some kind of huge moth that moved like a hummingbird. At some later time the idea that a humming bird might have poked holes in my hands came to me in a dream. That was the end of my "hey, have you ever seen one of these or seen anyone do this" career.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Re: d.earth

Postby cs_whypt2 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:27 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:distract slugs
julie

You know, If you set out a dish with a littl bit of beer in it, the slug crawl right in and drink themselves to death. Problem was, when I put it out, my dog stuck his head through the fence and drank it all.
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets