Rose Rolls - The unathorized Compass Rose autobiography

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:47 pm

OK You gotta tell me how ya did it? I am kinda wonderin about mine... It tows fine and I lift the tongue on to the ball just by picking up (barely). did ya weigh the axle in the center then the tongue? Or how??
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:03 pm

2bits wrote:OK You gotta tell me how ya did it? I am kinda wonderin about mine... It tows fine and I lift the tongue on to the ball just by picking up (barely). did ya weigh the axle in the center then the tongue? Or how??

Well, McGyver came over and used a stick of gum, some baling wire and a styrofoam cup.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Sparksalot wrote:
2bits wrote:OK You gotta tell me how ya did it? I am kinda wonderin about mine... It tows fine and I lift the tongue on to the ball just by picking up (barely). did ya weigh the axle in the center then the tongue? Or how??

Well, McGyver came over and used a stick of gum, some baling wire and a styrofoam cup.

Sneaky bastard that McGyver! hahah ! ! !
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Basically,I weighed the tongue at the jack. Then jacked up one wheel, and slid a 2x4 under it. One end on the scale, the other on a block the same height as the scale. Wheel goes in the center.

Read weight on scale. Multiply by 2.

Next, ass-u-me the weight is even on both wheels, and multiply by 2 again.

Add tongue weight.

Result is a decent estimate. Don't swear on a Bible, or to Weights and Measures it's spot on.

Pat self on back, then amuse friends with your incredible feat.

BTW, somewhere Angib has a neat graphic that shows a bit different way to do this. His can be used to weigh an even heavier trailer due to the way the leverage works.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info! Mine came out to 750lbs which can't be so that can't be right! I wanna have it weighed now! :twisted: but thank you very much! I think I saved that graphic you are talkin about too. I'll search around for it.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:05 pm

ROSE GETS MUDDY

Last weekend we attended a gathering of FRiends down on the river. None of the folks had never seen Rose in person, but had watched her progress here and on another forum. In short, SHE had to go with us, even for a day trip. Creepy Cat did attend as well, being a requested guest. Some dufus forgot to take pictures.

I did bring some iron and charcoal. I made a blueberry cobbler for desert, which hit the spot for many.

I had been there before and knew of the 1/2 mile dirt road. I also knew it would not be dirt after two weeks of nearly non-stop rain.

My TV is all wheel drive. The option chosen just for this type of event. It was fun to watch guys in 4x4 vehicles get stuck in spot I just cruised through.

I have been contemplating lowering Rose by going axle over spring. After this event, I may not do that after all. The jury (me) is still out...

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Ahh Just like getting a new pair of sneakers and scuffing them up on purpose! I am glad it held up perfectly! I like the height of it for functionality, and the look of it lowered so I can understand taking your time thinking about it!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 pm

You do excellent work Sparks!

Congratulations to you and the kid team on a beautiful project that will lead to many good camping trips.

Hope to see you out here in The State of Jefferson at one of our get togethers.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Nice when a plan comes together.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks gents.

I'm still working on a clean, stiff way to mount the fenders, but it's been a fun ride so far.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Sparksalot,

Been thoroughly enjoying your build-along. You crack me up with the comments.

Just wanted to say you are a fine craftsman of trailers and children. Your works shines and it shows. You won't regret this time. Wish I coulda did a trailer build with my peeps when they were that age. Great work.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Woodstramp wrote:Sparksalot,

Been thoroughly enjoying your build-along. You crack me up with the comments.

Just wanted to say you are a fine craftsman of trailers and children. Your works shines and it shows. You won't regret this time. Wish I coulda did a trailer build with my peeps when they were that age. Great work.

I did it now for a reason. I wanted one. I also wanted the kids to see what a person can do if he sets his mind to it.

I turned into so much more fun than I hoped. It was fantastic.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am

I have been bothered by my fender mounts for nearly a year. I re-used the "stock" bracket along with my cool fenders. That left the fenders about to wiggle and vibrate, swing in the breeze. Not ideal.

I've challenged myself all along to re-use and recycle as much of the original frame as possible. I had two 6 inch pieces of angle iron left from the caster mounts. So I cut them up and started whatiffin'.

Proof of concept shot. Note specialized work light. It was a cheap trade show gimme cap bill light.

Left front after bolting in place.

Left rear. Note tire scuff on the original "main" bracket. I bought the axle and wheel upgrade. The bracket was not replaced by mfr.

This will bear watching.

Views from above. Pretty low key really. Stiffness Quotient has gone much higher.

At the rear edge is the frame mount for the casters. I still have ideas swirling for those. Flagpole mounts? Antenna mast for the HF radio? They'll get used somehow.

Doesn't everyone have this much working room?

Finally, a tip of the hat to Hubcap Mike's and his Moon Discs. These wagon wheels take Rose to Dork Factor 10 in microseconds.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Those brackets look good, I like how you doubled the angle by bolting them together. Glad you noticed that inner tire wear, that could have been a tragic accident!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:04 pm

2bits wrote:Those brackets look good, I like how you doubled the angle by bolting them together.

That had been a hold up until the inspiration hit me.

Glad you noticed that inner tire wear, that could have been a tragic accident!

I hear ya. I don't want to share the fate of the PT Snoozer.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals