Mattress questions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mattress questions

Postby dlmarti » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:26 am

I'm an engineer, and I'm approaching this teardrop build just luck any other project I do.
  1. Generate a list of must have capabilities/features.
  2. Generate a list of nice to have capabilities/features.
In discussions with my wife, she has three concerns:
  1. Mattress size
  2. Claustrophobia
  3. Ease of entry/exit
I solved the second and third problems by demonstrating a simple mockup of the trailer. Along with promises of a large door, and decent ceiling height.

The first problem (mattress size) has me confuddled.
Ever since we've been married, we've had a king size bed. In said bed we barely fit two people, two dogs, and two cats. I will freely admit that occasionally it has gotten a little crowded. Even now that one of the cats and one of the dogs has passed, it can still feel like too little space if the one remaining dog and cat get to arguing.

Bottom line is I don't think this requirement of a king size bed is something I'm going to be able to talk her out of.

So given that problem I'm stuck with a bunch of problems, most of which I'm hoping that some of you have already solved.
  1. If I go with a domestic king sized bed, as anyone worked out the problems of getting one into and out of a tear???
  2. If I go with a tri-fold RV king sized bed, is there a source for a decent model?
  3. Given that I'm going to be dealing with a 70" to 78" wide bed, are their any decent kit trailers to start from or am I stuck with a custom or DIY?
dlmarti
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:49 am

The absolute best thing you can do is go to a few gatherings, and look at what everyone else has done. Everyone seems to build their tears in their own way, and you will find a world of ideas by seeing them, and asking about them.

As for mattress size, I have not seen a TD with a King. That's going to be a big TD. You will probably have to put your mattress in the TD before you completely close it in. Wrap it in heavy plastic that you can remove when the TD is complete.

Claustrophobia can be dealt with with windows and a good roof vent. Being able to see out, and breathe fresh air should help considerably.

For ease of entry/exit, have the bottom of your door a little bit lower than the top of your bed, so you are sitting on mattress to enter and exit, instead of on the door frame. I advise that from experience with the opposite.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dlmarti » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 pm

caseydog wrote:The absolute best thing you can do is go to a few gatherings, and look at what everyone else has done.

As for mattress size, I have not seen a TD with a King. That's going to be a big TD. You will probably have to put your mattress in the TD before you completely close it in.

We are actually renting a tear with a king (70" wide) next month and going to a tear gathering. We are both pretty excited about it. Littleguy actually makes the model.

If I go with a domestic mattress (which I most likely will NOT after finding a decent foam supplier), I would the bottom 12" of the galley removable, in order to slide the mattress in. At least that is what I was thinking.
dlmarti
Teardrop Builder

Postby GeoDrop » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm intending to build-in a regular Queen size mattress. I'll build around the mattress. Using Steve's "inside out" construction method, I should be able to accomplish this. Now.. it won't be removable w/o destroying it but I'm hoping I never have to.

dlmarti wrote:
caseydog wrote:The absolute best thing you can do is go to a few gatherings, and look at what everyone else has done.

As for mattress size, I have not seen a TD with a King. That's going to be a big TD. You will probably have to put your mattress in the TD before you completely close it in.

We are actually renting a tear with a king (70" wide) next month and going to a tear gathering. We are both pretty excited about it. Littleguy actually makes the model.

If I go with a domestic mattress (which I most likely will NOT after finding a decent foam supplier), I would the bottom 12" of the galley removable, in order to slide the mattress in. At least that is what I was thinking.
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:10 pm

remember you can not fall out of bed so going down 1 size will never be noticed in a teardrop. Even with the dog we are lost in a queen in the tear because we can use it all without the subconcious fear of falling out of bed.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby kirkman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 pm

If you get a foam mattress from a supplier like these guys http://www.njfoamcushions-mattresses.com/ You can just fold it a stuff it through the door. :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jason and Amanda » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Maybe I'm mean but my dog sleeps in the SUV tent in his kennel. My wife, 3 month old daughter, and myself sleep in a queen no problem, we do not allow our dog in the bed.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:19 pm

N523RV wrote:I'm intending to build-in a regular Queen size mattress. I'll build around the mattress. Using Steve's "inside out" construction method, I should be able to accomplish this. Now.. it won't be removable w/o destroying it but I'm hoping I never have to.

Just my opinion but I don't think that's a good idea. You'll leave a lot more options open for the future if you have a way to get the mattress in and out. I didn't think about during my build and now I have no choice but buying a foam mattress and force it through the door. Hope this helps.

Darren
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Dean_A » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:00 pm

The mattress in a TD will feel larger than one at home, due to the fact that you can lay right up against the wall and have no fear of falling out of bed. My wife and I have a king at home and are quite comfortable in a full in the TD.

If you get a futon mattress, if will fold up and fit through the door no problem.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby dlmarti » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Apparently most of you are married to aliens :lol:

Wife says mattress must be king size. Where is the wiggle room?
dlmarti
Teardrop Builder

Postby GeoDrop » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I actually meant full size not queen. We currently have a King at home but historically have had queens. For camping purposes, a full size will do just fine. We'll leave out the box springs of course...

Matthew

Victor Star wrote:
N523RV wrote:I'm intending to build-in a regular Queen size mattress. I'll build around the mattress. Using Steve's "inside out" construction method, I should be able to accomplish this. Now.. it won't be removable w/o destroying it but I'm hoping I never have to.

Just my opinion but I don't think that's a good idea. You'll leave a lot more options open for the future if you have a way to get the mattress in and out. I didn't think about during my build and now I have no choice but buying a foam mattress and force it through the door. Hope this helps.

Darren
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm a big guy (6'3" and 250+) and have always slept in a king, with or without the wife. I have found that the queen we put in our tear works great. Like previous posts have mentioned, you can sleep right up to the edge in a teardrop. We bought a good quality foam mattress from Ikea and it is very comfortable. It is also easy to remove for cleaning or if you have to do some work on the interior.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Apparently most of you are married to aliens. :lol:
That is how I felt after I got Married. :?
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Our tear uses a double bed mattress which won't fit through the door, so I made a removable panel on the bottom of the galley bulkhead to install/remove the mattress. We don't have cabinets in the galley so the mattress can come out easily. If you are going to build cabinets in yours, there are several ways to make them removable. I think someone here used drawer slides, or you could hold them in with a couple brackets that could be unscrewed to let them out.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 pm

We have had a California King mattress for the 36 years we have been married (not the same mattress). I would think if you can delete the menagerie you will find sufficient room with a Queen. Our tear drop is a Grasshopper design with lots of interior room (see album), and my wife who tends to be claustrophobic does not have a problem, she would with a conventional tear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion