Questions on putting in windows

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Questions on putting in windows

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 pm

I ordered a couple of 30"x15" slider windows to put in my cargo trailer. I'm planning on using this procedure:

1) Put masking tape on the Luan over the cut mark to minimize the tear-out

2) Mark out the hole 30 1/4" by 15 1/4" on the masking tape.

3) Drill a half inch hole somewhere just inside the cut line.

4) Use a scroll saw with a coarse metal blade, orbital turned off, and go towards the cut line, then turn and go to a corner. Speed?

5) Radius the corners, and cut continuous around to the point where I first met the cut line.

6) Install the window!

I considered putting some spacer in between the skin and the interior Luan, but after talking with the factory installer, he says if I position the window between two uprights (1st and 3rd), as I plan to do, I won't need to do anything, since the window frame will span from one upright to the other, and there will be one upright (2nd) that was sawed off that will space the wall in the middle. There should be good structural integrity and no bending in of the wall by the frame. The window frame should tie the 2nd upright to the 1st and 3rd.

Any suggestions? Problems? :thinking:

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby michiganflipper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:06 am

I screwed small 1x4 in around my windows befoe instaling them just to tie it all back together again good luck on your project
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm trying to visualize -- will the windows be installed vertically so the 15" dimension will fit between the 16" steel studs, or horizontally? (Cutting a stud and fitting the window between the studs on either side.)

I would think you'd want to put in a header above the window and a sill below even though the window will mostly fill the gap. It ties the floating up and lower "loose" studs (created when you cut through the second stud) to the 1st and 3rd studs. In traditional house framing it would carry the load down from above, but even if that's not an issue, you'd have to worry about flex when someone pushes on the window or just above/below it.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:08 am

michiganflipper wrote:I screwed small 1x4 in around my windows befoe instaling them just to tie it all back together again good luck on your project

good input, thanks!
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 am

digimark wrote:I'm trying to visualize -- will the windows be installed vertically so the 15" dimension will fit between the 16" steel studs, or horizontally? (Cutting a stud and fitting the window between the studs on either side.)

I would think you'd want to put in a header above the window and a sill below even though the window will mostly fill the gap. It ties the floating up and lower "loose" studs (created when you cut through the second stud) to the 1st and 3rd studs. In traditional house framing it would carry the load down from above, but even if that's not an issue, you'd have to worry about flex when someone pushes on the window or just above/below it.

The windows are 30" wide and 15" tall, with sliders. They will be installed horizontally, which means one stud in the middle will be sawed off below the window. The trailer frame header will be just above the cut opening, and that will support the load above the window. The two sides of the window frame will be very close to the studs, and may span them. If they don't span them, I'll add some 1x3 fir around them to solidify the mount.

At this point, my biggest concern is cutting through the center stud. I don't want to shake the walls to death with the scroll saw. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it, eh?
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I used an air powered cut off wheel to cut the aluminum siding when I put my windows in and it worked great. I also used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the support stud with no movement of the wall support. To cut the interior luan I reinstalled the interior paneling and traced the outline of the window from the outside to the backside of luan then removed it to make my cuts.

My dad and I also built up between the walls on both ends of the windows for support.

Good luck. It's a very rewarding project I can tell ya. Sure you could pay someone to do the job for ya but that takes all the fun out of converting. IMHO! :thumbsup:
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:... Good luck. It's a very rewarding project I can tell ya. Sure you could pay someone to do the job for ya but that takes all the fun out of converting. IMHO! :thumbsup:

Wow, excellent job! :applause:

I am going to change my approach to match what you did. I notice you used steel frame above and below the window cutout. Did you weld it in? Or, use screws?

Wells Cargo told me when they install them on their 5x8 trailers, they put the window cutout just below the top rail (about 4" above where yours are.) How high are your sides? Mine are only 5' 6".

Do you have any finished shots? (Inside and out would be great!)

Excellent shots, very motivating. You've convinced me to wait until the windows are in to mount the bed, since I'd just have to take the rails off to do the windows and insulation. Backup... Rethink... Better than redo!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:41 am

meach4x4 wrote:Wow, excellent job! :applause:

Thanks Gil

meach4x4 wrote:I am going to change my approach to match what you did. I notice you used steel frame above and below the window cutout. Did you weld it in? Or, use screws?

I have the Z studs in my walls and the 1x1" O.D steel tubing fit just right. I did weld it in but brackets could be made to do the same thing. I removed the outer screws and shimmed the siding before I welded.

meach4x4 wrote:Wells Cargo told me when they install them on their 5x8 trailers, they put the window cutout just below the top rail (about 4" above where yours are.) How high are your sides? Mine are only 5' 6".

The nice thing about doing it yourself is that you can put them anywhere you want to but I am sure they would as well if a move was requested. I just eyeballed it to find the location I liked. My dad had his put in on his new trailer and they are down from the top of the wall a bit but the trailer is a lot bigger than mine. My walls are 5' 3" from bottom to the start of radius and just over 5' on the inside.

meach4x4 wrote:Do you have any finished shots? (Inside and out would be great!) Excellent shots, very motivating.

I have several shots of it but only a few during construction if that's what you are looking for. Those shots are all in my album.

meach4x4 wrote:You've convinced me to wait until the windows are in to mount the bed, since I'd just have to take the rails off to do the windows and insulation. Backup... Rethink... Better than redo!

At least you figured that part out, I sure didn't. I have taken mine apart several times since the window install/insulation project. Once to wire in fender lights, once for the electrical, and once for the porch light with one more once to go :lol: Windows, Wiring (including porch light), insulation right down the line.

Have fun and please, Post Pictures!
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Prem » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:30 am

Gil,

My windows were small (12" x 18" vertical sliders) and fit in between ribs so I didn't have to reinforce them with headers (wood or metal). The clamp ring really stiffened the wall.

HOWEVER, I put wide masking tape on the outside skin to avoid scratching the paint with the jigsaw/scroll saw. VERY IMPORTANT. I drew the cutout on the masking tape. I used a longer-than-normal, Bosch metal-cutting blade that made a beautiful cut all the way through the interior wood paneling. Worked beautifully. :o

Good luck,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:21 am

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:Have fun and please, Post Pictures!

Yes, I am having tons o' fun so far, and I will definately keep posting when there is progress.

Today, I goofed off, and went Jeeping and hicking in Dixie National Forest. Beautiful day for it. Lots of color in the hills. I did buy some foam for the seat cushion/bed mattress. Target had a killer deal on memory foam. Now, I just need to get the hd foam for the base.

Stay tuned!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:26 am

Prem wrote:Gil,

VERY IMPORTANT. I drew the cutout on the masking tape. I used a longer-than-normal, Bosch metal-cutting blade that made a beautiful cut all the way through the interior wood paneling. Worked beautifully. :o

Good luck,

Prem

What type blade? I have long metal with medium teeth and long wood with fine teeth. I was thinking I could use the metal blade to do the Luan, the Aluminum, and the frame upright. Right?

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:28 am

Doh! I now read that you used a metal blade, as I had planned. Shoulda read your words better before I asked. :oops:
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:31 am

Yup! That's how I do it.

Prem :D
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:42 am

Prem wrote:Yup! That's how I do it.

Prem :D

Now, I'm just sitting here semipatiently waiting the UPS guy to show up with my windows! :twisted: :delivery:
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby michiganflipper » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 am

I cut my windows out with Aviation Snips (for the sides)and for the wall supports I used a sawjall with a metal cutting blade
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions