Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

Postby grizz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Hallo All,

My name is Rian, and I live in Rochester, Kent, in the United Kingdom (England) I am known on various internet sites and communities as "GRIZZ" which is a long story..... :o

I am a newbie here, found this really awesome and informative site Via my "home-site" where I practically live.
http://www.retrorides.proboards86.com
This website is pretty much dedicated to all forms and models of cars, both modified, restored and everything inbetween.

I hope to learn loads, and hopefully even be able to contribute sensibly on here .

Born in South Africa in 1963, makes me 46 years old.
I came to the UK August 2002 by transfer facilitated by the company I had worked for in South Africa, and still work for (Though they anounced a 5500 person redundancy by next year, last week ).

I currently run a 2006 2.5l V6 204bhp Mercedes Benz as company car and daily driver.

I also have a BMW R1200GS with all the extras one could throw at it, excluding SatNav (still oldskool there)

These two are just modern conveniences.

My true love is a 1963 Ford Taunus Transit FK1250 which I imported from Germany on 27th December 2007. The bus has a 4cyl 1500cc petrol engine which produces 55bhp in original form, so who knows how many horses are left today ?

LINK: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37192

I also have a 1956 Ford Anglia 100E , which I bought for my Fiancee as she is a petrol head too (Lucky me)

LINK:http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=60718

Here they are both in front of Nicola's place on the way to the http://www.medwaymonkeys.co.uk get together.

During 2009 we have just enjoyed the Transit bus and the Anglia.
Camping at various venues, including Santa Pod Raceway, at the Classic Ford weekend, and also at the Haynes Museum at the Retro Rides Gathering '09 , which is our prime weekend with the old cars every year, its a small intimate gathering of good friends.

We have found that even though the bus is better than a tent, a trailer will be better than the bus, so I have decided to build us a Teardrop over winter, as the Bus is going to a friends place for a Ford Zetec transplant, which should see power up to around 105bhp from 1800cc. Thus leaving me with both space and time to build the trailer.

Below is a link to what I have been up to so far.
Clearly, loads to learn and find out, as well as collecting some of the bits needed before we sleep in it.... Hope that will be before the next summer.

Any advice and tips as well as shortcuts that work appreciated. 8)

Trailer build link to date:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=67389

This is potentially where I would like to end with my trailer, clearly the photoshop pic is just to give me direction on the colours.

I plan on going along the lines of a modified Grumman.

Last edited by grizz on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 71 times in total.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jackdaw » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Grizz, Welcome to the forum , from one of the resident Brits on the board. :thumbsup:
Thats a sweet Transit 8) 8)

I'm the guy from the Delica forum smellyferrit refered to on pg2 of your retreo rides thread. :lol: :lol:
I've used similar chassis on both of my builds, and plan on using similar for #3 8) 8) .
I've rebolted the tongue to shorten the distace between the axel and hitch.
Its worked just fine, and I don't think either trailer is out of proportion. I plan on putting a storage tray on the tongue of the copper top, similar to the one on my Grumman.
Have fun with your build fella :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you have any questions , fire away. Theres loads of helpful folk over here.

Make sure you take loads photos. We all love the photos 8) 8)

Here's the photos of this years build, the coppertop, from concept to first outing. Its based on the modernistic/ cub profile, scaled down 20% to 8ft long, with a copper trolley top to give it more light and height.

The Coppertop build album
Cheers Dave
Last edited by jackdaw on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby grizz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Dave, Thanks, I will certainly ask zillions of questions.

First few : Where do I get Marine ply in the UK ? I was in B&Q today and they do not seem to have it. Does one need to go for Marine Ply for the floor and sides ?

No2 : Are the largest sizes of ply in the UK 1220 x 2440 x 18 ?

No3 : Where to buy the thin ally cladding for the "roof" and in what sizes can one order it ? I think my trailer will end up being between 1500mm and 1600mm wide, and do want the roof to be one single sheet.

No4 : Can one buy those "rubber" hinges in the UK to make the hatch waterproof ?

I think thats enough for starters.

I have so much to learn, read and collect.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jackdaw » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Grizz there is a UK section over on Tearjerkers(link at the top of the page), that list various parts supplier this side of the pond.

I've used external ply for both builds , with no problems on either if they're kept dry. I used 3/4" on the first build and 1/2" on the second. If weight is an issue you may want to consider 1/2".

There are suppliers that can offer board up to 10ft . There's a bloke down in Southhampton that sells 8x4 boards of marine ply on ebay, at a good price.

My ally came from Aalco, they sell it off the roll. 2550mm wide, I bought a 35 ft roll that was enough to do both trailers. Other places to look would be trailer builders. A couple of our northern members got some great deals on their ally. :thumbsup:

Hatch hinges are available over here, both rubber and ally. Hurrican hinges are arround £10 per foot.I used the hinge from the front window of our donor caravan. That was free :lol: :lol:

Here's the photos of the first build, including recovering with ally after resin failure.Grumman build album

Cheers Dave
Last edited by jackdaw on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby Creamcracker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question relating to your "retrorides" that the resident BRITS may be able to answer...... Is there a website that allows you to check whether a certain license plate and hence the car is still running in the UK? I don't mean the DVLA website where you can buy certain plates but just a run of the mill check. For example cars that were in my family back in the 50's and 60's....Ford Popular PCY42....Ford Anglia UCY635......Mini YWN489....Morris 1100 BWN625B....anything out there like that?

Regards from a transplanted Welshman...
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby grizz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 am

Creamcracker wrote:Don't want to hijack the thread but a quick question relating to your "retrorides" that the resident BRITS may be able to answer...... Is there a website that allows you to check whether a certain license plate and hence the car is still running in the UK? I don't mean the DVLA website where you can buy certain plates but just a run of the mill check. For example cars that were in my family back in the 50's and 60's....Ford Popular PCY42....Ford Anglia UCY635......Mini YWN489....Morris 1100 BWN625B....anything out there like that?

Regards from a transplanted Welshman...
Philip

Morning Philip,

The answer is yes, there are a few guys on there who can check itall out for you.

I usually just post a question in the General forum, and someone replies.
Last edited by grizz on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:45 am

Dave , thanks for the anwers, I will get on here tonight after work and start navigating for real.

Have registered on Tearjerkers as riank.

Seems a very rigid and structured site..... will see if they let me in :D
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Forgot to mention, found these I had bought some time ago.[img]

Perfect.

[/img]Image
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:35 am

A bit of cock-eyed copy and pasting here as I try to combine threads.

I will run this as a build thread for the teardrop I plan to build over winter.
All info, suggsetions and general input gladly received.

I will be running this build thread on here and Tearjerkers, as well as my spiritual home at www.retrorides.proboards86.com in the "Readers other modifications" forum.

Having had a loooong, and really nice and informative talk with Deli Dave yesterday, I know that I am going to do quite a few things in my build that can be done cheaper, quicker etc, but being a bit of a Masochist, it will be my build, my way...... HOWEVER, please do add comments, reccomendations and ideas, as the largest part of this build still comes from my head, and ZERO EXPERIENCE.

[smilie=econ_shocked[1].gif]

I will do the build over winter in spare time, and post up pics etc as I go along.
Hopefully Nicola will be on hand to stroke my ego, encourage, help, hand tools and make me a "Garage Lunch and tea " from time to time.

I bought this trailer for £20 from a guy where it had stood parked in a hedge the last 6 years.

Copied content below, so ignore time reference.

I fetched the trailer from Essex from fellow RR-er Marcus (Kwikkwak) today.
Thankfully he had emptied the last 6 years worth of neighbours and other stuff from it, so all I had to do was pump the tyres up and grease the brakes and check it over, we also broke out most of the sides and floor, and I added a brand new light board, bought yesterday to the rear, then off to Kent and home by 9.30am.

A quick cuppa tea and sandwich and I was at it, stripping and undoing all the 13mm nylock nuts and bolts , typically overengineered.
Next up I cut the frame up into useable lengths and "stored" them on the garage roof and elsewhere.

I then swept the common area. Chatted to some of the neighbours who need a lot of calming and explaining ::)

Below are some pics of the chassis close up etc.

Question Time :

In order to get the look of what I want from MY Teardrop, I want the wheels to seem quite far back, still maintaining some kind of balance once the kitchen is in.

QUESTION 1 : Can I take the trailing arm braked axle and turn it through 180 Degrees ? Thus creating a "leading arm" suspension, and moving the wheels forward ? ( I can also get most of this right by just cutting the "A-Frame" shorter and trimming the rear off)

The chassis is supposed to be rated at about 750kg. I do not believe it will exceed 450kg when done. Therefore in flipping the axle through 180 degrees, I am prepared to strip out the brakes and using only the Transit's non-existent brakes.

As always, I invite criticism, wit, advice and generally comments and input.

I have to still sit and draw up the "Plan of the frame " with measurements tomorrow when I am in the mood..... ;D
In the mean time there is a pic of my rough drawn measurements.

I will also copy and paste the basic plan of the "CUB Teardrop" to put it all into perspective.

As brought home today.

Also want to undo and flip this whole structure through 180 Degrees to make it tow even lower, and maybe more horizontal as the bus tows very low now ;)

Progress yes, undoing zillions of 13mm nuts and bolts everywhere.

Neighbours helping, Brian up close is 74 and was trying to pick the lock on the front, eventually we just manipulated the lot over the handle and hitch. Derek with the stick was supervisor 8-)

Couple of hours and a few mugs of tea later, the yard is swept and chassis laid bare.

The trailer frame reduced to lengths of useable steel, stored in various places.

RIGHT ..... Chassis and suspension shots, hope you get the idea of what I want to try get right with the "flipped axle"

Get the idea how much I can gain by flipping the wheels forward ?

Lastly, a sort of Horizontal pic. Good for Photos shopping.

Measurements, done in METRIC as thats what the tape measure offered.

What I am looking at building, a "Lightweight New Cub"

More here:http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear31.htm

This one does it for me too.

http://www.westhoffdesign.com/michael/t ... terior.htm

I have been given a Ford Transit side window, which is 105 x 42 cm with rubber included.

First question, which I have been told already not to do, would be whether this would be worth adding to the trailing edge just ahead of the galley as a "Moonroof" to let more light in ??

2 liter milk bottle for size perspective. The glass has a curve to it as well.

I have asked for a cast off 3 berth caravan on my local Freecycle that I saw at 10pm last night, here's to hoping that one works. Hopefully if he does decide to give it to me, I would be able to know this before I shoot off to buy bits.

I am also off to Essex with the Transit later for a photoshoot, and then to go to Essex Caravan Breakers for a rummage..... looking for bits to add, like a half door from a caravan, some kitchen bits, and a pop-up for the roof etc. Hope also to find some interior bits like mattresses and electricals.

My mate Dave from Osnabruck in Germany is over next weekend to fetch a 1948 Rover 16 that he has bought to restore, and he always stays with us at my place. He has offered to bring me a cooker - sink combo, which he thinks is complete in his cellar, if he can find all the bits, so thats a good help too.

Lastly, I got some lights at last years National Streetrod Association Autojumble.

Not as sexy as Deli Dave's converted BMC lights, which I may still copy with his permission , but the shape and era is right to go with the bus, and also the general shape of the bus.

I would also love to locate some of those lights Dave has on his tears.

Wish me luck as I set sail on building the GRIZZ-POD [smilie=big_yeah.gif]
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alfred » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:44 am

Hey Grizz,

Greetings from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Western, NC - On the other side of the big pond!

One of the great things about this hobby is meeting people from all over the world who share the common interest.

Keep us posted as to your progress, and keep posting those pictures! Welcome to the forum.

AL in Asheville, NC - USA. :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:17 am

Alfred wrote:Hey Grizz,

Greetings from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Western, NC - On the other side of the big pond!

One of the great things about this hobby is meeting people from all over the world who share the common interest.

Keep us posted as to your progress, and keep posting those pictures! Welcome to the forum.

AL in Asheville, NC - USA. :thumbsup:

Thanks Alfred,
Yep, the Interweb has made the world your oyster.

I have made good friends and also had advice from around the world on various things I have got up to over the last 10 years or so.

I will definitely do a decent thread, as we all learn from each other.

Going to dig into your build thread as well now 8)
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ageless » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:49 am

Flipping the axle? Look at how it bolts to the frame; (2) top bolts are closer together. There will be nothing to bolt those to if you flip.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:35 pm

RIIIIGHT......

Today Nicola and I went over to Essex to a mates place for yummy scones and home made strawberry jam and cream or cheese.

Dirk my mate is busy building up his photographic portfolio, and needed some Automotive stuff to add into the mix.
Step up Ford Taunus Transit .

We went over to Tilbury Fort (Gooogle it) and took loads of pics, inside and outside the fort (with permission) We also went to the ferry port on the River Thames and took a few pics.

His photos really rock as some are real print quality. I just took a few, and liked this one, where the paddle steamer is just off again.

After the visit to him and Michelle, Nicola and I went over to the Caravan breakers.

£120 lighter, and 90 minutes with Chris later, we had the following.

Complete clean retro interior, mattress and cusions. Wall mount retro clock. A door from a Pop-up caravan, which is taller than standard, and has a nice top curve, I also got 7foot of Side trim of which 5 foot will be fitted to the bottom of the hatch with a Gazzebo attached, and 2 foot above the door as a rain gutter, and mounting point for a small porch which I will make up myself using an old military spec groundshhet/bivvy. My personal favourite is a complete pop up hatch for the roof, which includes a fly screen, and also a black out screen for lazy late mornings...... Possibly the most important win for the day..... a Jockey wheel, with wide wheel for use in soft grassed camping areas and fields.

All these bits are now stashed in my overflowing garage till I can use them in the build.

Surrounded by treasure, these mattresses should beat pumping up the blow up mattress at 3am in the back of the bus.

Retro clock, note the extreme Retroness of the fabric.

Pop-up Roof hatch, note flyscreen and also black out screen which is spring loaded.

Jockey wheel treasure, you are pretty screwed without one, I was, now just have to remove stud of old broken tightening screw, then make up a new one with pool ball handle.

Pop up caravan door, much taller than standard top half. Included a lock with no key, I think dealer was surprised at me wanting it, but being taller it should make the space feel more open. I will be taking it appart and removing the ally skin and some of the top surface, then adding 3mm ply to paint like the rest of the Teardrop. The plan at the moment is no glass in the door, but to put round portholes left and right just ahead of the door frame, and to then use them as part of the scallop design, and maybe adding the Sinclair logo in screenprint to the outside.

Lastly a pic of the mattresses again, but with added ally strip, this should be usefull for mounting add on gazzebo's and other awning type structures.

Personally I would have loved these things for FREE, but hey, the mans gotta make a living.
I have asked the Breaker to look out for a cold only electric pump and tap for a submersible water setup. Hopefully he will find something.

There you go, next up , bring chassis home to my place from Nicola's neighbours place if it has not been stolen by steel merchants.

Then go out and buy the timber for the floor frame and cross support battens, and order the 5x10foot ply next week.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS !!
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Welcome and good luck on your build, Rian. It looks like you are well on your way! Thanks for posting your pictures and build progress. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey Grizz,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are off to a good start. Keep us in the pics, we'll be watching intently!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Build Journals