Why a TD?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Why a TD?

What else do you put behind a vintage auto?
4%
Thought they were cute.
8%
Needed some thing small / just didn’t need the space
36%
Wanted to build my own camper
30%
Parents had one so I got one to.
1%
Loved the history behind it.
5%
Other let us know.
16%

Total votes : 207

Postby Chip » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:12 pm

anybody that is even remotely considering building/buying a teardrop should take the time to first go to a get together of teardrop folks, the reasons then to build one will probably have something in them about the fine people ya meet, the fun ya can have with a teardrop, the good food ya get to share and friendships ya develope,,and then the reasons will be to give me something to do, want small camper, etc, etc. I start looking forward to the next trip as soon as the one I am on is bout over,, its amazing how these T&TTTs get ya hooked. I have said it before and here it is again,, It aint about the size, shape, or style of TTT you bring,, its about the PEOPLE.
see Y'all on tha road ,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BufordT » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:36 am

Chip wrote:anybody that is even remotely considering building/buying a teardrop should take the time to first go to a get together of teardrop folks, the reasons then to build one will probably have something in them about the fine people ya meet, the fun ya can have with a teardrop, the good food ya get to share and friendships ya develope,,and then the reasons will be to give me something to do, want small camper, etc, etc. I start looking forward to the next trip as soon as the one I am on is bout over,, its amazing how these T&TTTs get ya hooked. I have said it before and here it is again,, It aint about the size, shape, or style of TTT you bring,, its about the PEOPLE.
see Y'all on tha road ,,

chip

I agree with Chip on this one. It's about the PEOPLE. Wish I could get to more of these geatherings. The folks are the greatest. It ain't about the camper, traditional/non-traditional. It's all about the PEOPLE.
Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Namsayn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:47 pm

Mostly because we are older whitewater kayakers and often camp with a younger, louder group of people. Needed something to cut the noise/light pollution in the campground. Figure to close the windows and let the Fantastic fan suck air in to keep from sweltering.
Also because they are unique and pretty darn "KEWL, dude!"
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 pm

Saw them on a Travel Channel sprecial about "Crazy R.V.'s " and the wife actually asked me if I could build one...I said probably and the rest is now becoming a great project for us.. :thumbsup:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby billnut » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:35 pm

:lol: Sis and I are nimble old folks My wife don't like camping. Her husband din't like camping. I have PT Cruiser.
She stay's home with dog. He stay's home with two lbs. of Hot Dogs.
Sis and I hook PT And you know the rest!
Bill :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:14 pm

Everything over here that is called a camper is covered in canvas. We wanted something small, no canvas and simple. What else could I do but build a TTT.
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Stephen G. » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:39 pm

We wanted to get off the ground. I have been itching to build something. We wanted something unique that has character. :D
Stephen G.
Teardrop Master

Postby kajamelu4 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:00 am

My hubby doesn't like to camp or travel. I was trying to find a way to do both more often, without shelling out big bucks for motel rooms. And I am sick and tired of tenting. Just wanted somewhere to sleep that is guaranteed dry. Something that I would be comfortable with, just me and the kids.
Saw RV Crazy on tv, got on the internet, found Camp-Inn, drove over 3 hours one way to see one, and the rest is history. (At least my history). My teardrop got picked up in May 2004, and we left for South Dakota in it a week later.

By the way, my hubby has only spent one night in it. And I will be forever jealous of everyone who has the knowhow and ability to build their own. Wish I could.
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby wentzzee » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:04 pm

I drove over the road over 40 years. So moving about is kinda in my blood. I know there are truckers and ex truckers on this forum and any one of them can tell you that a tear drop has it over a big rig for living convieniences. Unless of course you drive one of those large cars. I kinda thought rv but didn't want the hassle. Teardrop perfect. So needless to say thats the way I'm going.
All Reality Starts with a Dream
wentzzee
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:57 pm

wentzzee...I bet the large car reference went over most people's head ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby wentzzee » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:31 pm

MJ
Probably but at least you know what I mean. Now some of those things are as long as the trailer. Ifin a person had one wouldn't need an RV
All Reality Starts with a Dream
wentzzee
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:53 pm

as I pointed out to the wife...a TD has more room than any of the trucks she went trailertrucin' with me in :D
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:55 pm

I never got the chance to drive anything with a nice sleeper on it...for me if I want to relive the experience...I could just dump a bottle of crappy cologne on a soiled mattress...I got some real beaters...what was a real drag is I was just in town...and had to smell that thing..sort of like a high school locker room doused in Hai Karate.....finally pulled if off and put in a big window.....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

me?

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 pm

I agree with most everyone's points here, and to the donation idea... :applause: Bless you!!! How sweet!

I have gone to one small TD gathering, with Rayvillian's Warrior and WarPony's rig and then a little guy and Waliczek's Gypsy and it was neat to see the other camper's reactions!

I have a Honda Accord and people have said " You can get a nice small pop up ..." well, I still only have 1000# towing cap and no $$ for a "nice small popup"... then someone with a 5th wheel keeps saying things like: you can't stand up in it (I can stand outside!) and 'what about when it rains' (well, I don't really PLAN on camping in the rain but that's what canopy's are for and how hard would it be to unhook , lock it up , and drive into town for a little shopping or ?) ...
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:51 am

Cute factor is a biggie with me. Not having to sleep on the ground is another. Being able to pull it with a small truck is another.

I LIKE the idea that when one goes camping, they actually get out and see the surrounding area. We've only used the teardrop once so far but I noticed something interesting among the big RV's. They'd pull up, set up, place the satellite dishes up, disappear inside.....and you'd never see them all weekend. No fishing. No swimming. No hiking. No picnics outside. Had they died and their bodies would be discovered once their camping reservation was up?

All the folks we met on the hiking trails were those in tents and popups.

It's good to HAVE to get out of the trailer when one is camping.

I also look forward to meeting other teardrop owners at get togethers. Seems like a very friendly crowd.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls