Chuckwagon

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Chuckwagon

Postby Uncle Chan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Good morning.

I got back yesterday from my annual muzzle-loader black powder elk hunt (didn't see a thing). This year, I took my TD. It was VERY popular. What made it popular, though, was the kitchen. With my coleman canopy, it was the primary cooking location for the whole camp (there were 10 of us). Long story short, the TD handled well, but I think the roads were WAY TOO hard on the torsion axle and so I'll not ever take it back.

HOWEVER, I got to thinking, what about building an Off Road Chuckwagon? I obsessed about it up there and have some ideas in my head.

Since you all are like family, I wanted to get your feedback. I'm thinking 3000lb axle with 750lb springs, 3 x 2 channel for the frame, I would want fresh water tank, double sinks, gray water tank, RV range, propane, 12v and 120v systems, generator, on demand hot water, etc.

What do you think? Seen anything like it?
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm working on a smaller version dedicated chuck wagon to tow in tandum ( cause we can) . Tired of trying to keep the bedding clean toteing grills dutch oven tables and cast iron in my bed, :?

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby cuyeda » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Something like this?

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Chuck Wagon

Postby Chris D » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Them some BAD_SS grub centers :lol: I was wondering, If you didn't have one couldn't ya just put your DO, Grill, ETC... in the trunk or bed of the pick up instead of the bed?

CD
Chris D
Teardrop Master

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 pm

cuyeda wrote:Something like this?

That is just WAY COOL!!!
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:27 pm

cuyeda wrote:Something like this?

Say, that's pretty spiffy. :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 pm

for when the focus is eating, and not sleeping... :lol:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Uncle Chan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Yes, both of those are wonderful. Thank you much. I'm thinking of maybe a 4 x 8 or 6 x 6. I like the idea of having a hatch system on each side (as opposed to the ends). I could put the cooking stuff down one side and the cleaning down the other. Hmmmmm................
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 am

Mine measures 40" wide by 6'6" long. The hatch is for rain/shade protection while actually cooking there will be 2 large cabinet doors on each side. They should measure 18 tall by 38 long . These will be divided into 18 x 19 cubicals 20" deep. These shelves should hold all coolers ,dry boxes ,dishes ,pots and pans, grills ,dutch oven tables, charcoal , the cast iron, Small knock down tables, and camp chairs. One of the 4 compartments will run full width for the long items.

Here is an early drawing I used for inspiration.......

The front on mine will remain solid and uninterupted. I will incorporate a roof rack and the water tanks will be underslung under frame.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Uncle Chan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:03 pm

I like this. I want something a bit longer and with dual sinks. I also prefer a water tank underneath. Lastly, I want a fullsize RV stove/oven.

Hmmm...........
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Uncle Chan wrote:I like this. I want something a bit longer and with dual sinks. I also prefer a water tank underneath. Lastly, I want a fullsize RV stove/oven.

Hmmm...........

I am finding the 40 w x 78 long foot print a bit small for all I am asking of it but that is part of the charm and challenge of teardropping. I have found that the 3 burner rv stove with oven will not fit side by side with the dorm fridge I currently have, so the fridge will probably have to go in a side door and some of the small item storage will move to the rear. I felt a dedicated sink to be a bit of a waste of counter space so one of the two out board counter tops will have two pop out centers cut in it for small plastic tubs for KP duty. I will install the water faucet As a plug and unplug unit using an air hose coupler mounted just under the sidewall near the rear. To keep it simple perhaps just a sink sprayer
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:52 am

bobhenry wrote:Mine measures 40" wide by 6'6" long. The hatch is for rain/shade protection while actually cooking there will be 2 large cabinet doors on each side. They should measure 18 tall by 38 long . These will be divided into 18 x 19 cubicals 20" deep. These shelves should hold all coolers ,dry boxes ,dishes ,pots and pans, grills ,dutch oven tables, charcoal , the cast iron, Small knock down tables, and camp chairs. One of the 4 compartments will run full width for the long items.

Here is an early drawing I used for inspiration.......

The front on mine will remain solid and uninterupted. I will incorporate a roof rack and the water tanks will be underslung under frame.

Well it is off the drawing board .......

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby schaney » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 am

Uncle Chan, For a lightweight, off-road Chuckwagon a good start is a 2x2 1/8" wall frame with long, flexible, automotive grade springs. This frame is setup for a 1000-1200 lb GVW.

Image Image

Here is an idea for trailer box desgin, put some racks on top for hauling bikes, a canoe, ??

Image Image
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 am

Consider carrying a 2X4 folding table. That will be a good place for more cooks to work.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby jtsarby » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:37 pm

The white trailer is almost exactly what I am wanting to build. Does anyone know where I can get some details on how it was built? My main question is it being water tight. I am a tent camper but want to build a trailer like this in order to keep all my gear. That way I can just connect the trailer and go camping. It looks like water would get in where the hinge is. This looks like it would be a problem on the teardrops as well. I am very handy but these teardrops are new to me so excuse the noobness.

Jason
jtsarby
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion