Uninsured Motorists Insurance?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Uninsured Motorists Insurance?

Postby cuyeda » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:41 am

How many people who tow trailers think that uninsured motorist insurance covers your trailer when attached to your tow vehicle when in an accident?

When I signed up for insurance I asked the question: Will my trailer be covered if I am in an accident? Yes, is what I was told. I failed to understand that "Yes", meant for liability only. My bad. I had this clarified to me when I tried to submit a claim for a damaged trailer caused by an uninsured motorist.

Through my insurance company a trailer is not covered, and considered an exclusion. A trailer is only covered for collisions if you have additional insurance to cover it specifically. I also learned from my insurance carrier, that my vintage trailer is over 20 years old, that I would have to be underwritten by a separate company as an add on.

Disclaimers: There are different guidelines for the various insurance carriers, different levels of coverage, different exclusions, and depends on your region.

I still have a claims agent looking into my policy guidelines, and I get conflicting statements between, claims and sales. And one of the agents stated that for CA, uninsured motorists would cover at least $3500. Another agent of the same company says, no that is not true. So now I am confused, and waiting for a final coverage report.

I apologize for being long winded on this subject, but I hope my experience will prompt everyone to make sure they know what is covered and what is not covered under their own insurance policy. Especially for uninsured motorists.

Check your policy! Don't get caught in the same situation when someone damages your trailer.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby emiller » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:27 am

Insurance companies seem to do and say what ever is best for them not us. Hope they come through. One of the Sisters on the Fly got rear ended and her trailer was repaired after allot of looking in to by her insurance agent. A good insurance agent is hard to find but there out there. Hope it turns out good for you. 8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:19 am

I just got a new vehicle and it was a good time to go over what was covered and what was not with my Allstate agent.

This past year I added my td and Scotty to my auto policy. $250 deductible. Covered if they are home, being towed, in camp.

When I gave them a value to the trailers I just backed it up with pictures.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:40 am

Cliff,

What is becoming an expensive and emotionally upsetting learning experience for you, contains invaluable knowledge for rest of us. I'm really sorry you were the victim of such a thoughtless immature act, but thanks for keeping all of us informed about how things are playing out.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby PaPa Smurf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:52 am

Bad thing about allstate is I had two clam in a year, and the rate when three times ...both claim was under $4000.....I've been with allstate for over forty years and only had three clam total.....but down here alstate is about all will cover....I think there looking for the sea to come up nine miles....
James 4:14......
You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.
PaPa Smurf
Teardrop Master

Postby High Desert » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 am

Cliff, thanks for posting this. It's a good reminder to folks to check their coverage, I'm just sorry it's at your expense. Where I'm at it's the same as what they told you, the auto coverage also covers the trailer for Liability. But ONLY liability. I have a seperate collision/comp policy for each trailer. Given the age of my stuff, these policies are very inexpensive. As an example my old '78 Wilderness TT is only $48 a year with a $250 deductable.

Hope that it all works out for your situation and that it's covered in the end. Best of luck on it.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:41 pm

In California and I presume any state that boarders Mexico, a car, RV or trailer insurance
policy should have uninsured motorist protection for peace of mind.
The statistics of the uninsured are staggering.

I have had friends have the same issues of not having enough coverage
when the uninsured motorist was at fault. It is an outrage that we have to
pay extra monies for uninsured motorists insurance as it is the law to have auto
insurance in California. However many poor or illegal alien drivers either get
insurance long enough to get their car licensed and then cancel the policies
or just drive without any considerations of consequences.

There should be stronger penalties for this shunning of the law. However the
disregard of insurance is a small part of the mind set of someone who is
here in the USA illegally and or poor and just not want to conform to civil
laws.

As Cliff is trying to bring to light ~ buyers of insurance beware that you
should protect yourself against the staggering numbers of those that
aren't insured, especially in the Southern boarder states with Mexico.

My call to the insurance company:

But to be sure I just got off the phone with my insurance company
(Ameriprise a Costco affiliate = ameriprise.com/costco) and am satisfied
that I have coverage for both my car and trailer for uninsured motorists.
I got the max body 250,000 and 500,000 liability with a collision of 250
deductible on the trailer for collision. As a side note I pay 10.00 collision
and 12.00 for other than collision = a total of 22.00 for my trailers
coverage every 6 months.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Bodyman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:49 pm

I have been in the collision repair business for over 40 years. In that time I have had many discussions with customers as to what uninsured motorist coverage actually is. The name uninsured motorist coverage is very misleading.
In Iowa (other states may very well be different) uninsured motorist does not cover any damage to your vehicle. It is an add on to the policy to provide medical for passengers injured in an accident. The passengers being the uninsured motorist.
If I were involved in an accident with someone without insurance and he was at fault my collision would pay for my repair. Not the uninsured motorist coverage. If I just carried liability with uninsured motorists (as I do for some of my vehicles) I would be out of luck.
Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 pm

In Texas, uninsured motorist coverage is for when you get in an accident, and the driver at fault has no insurance. I know this is true from personal experience -- $12,000 in damage from being rear-ended by an Expedition driven by "restaurant kitchen employee" with no insurance.

In accordance with Texas law, his SUV was impounded after the accident.

I don't know what the exact coverage on my TD when it is being towed by my car. I know the liability extends, but I'm not sure about the other coverages. :thinking:

I better make a phone call to my agent.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Bodyman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks Bodyman ~ 8)
This site helps me digest better what coverages I have.

What is uninsured insurance coverage?
What does Uninsured Motorist Property Damage cover?
Don't forget to scroll down to read related questions for more specific answers.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

:? :shock: I just updated ours over an uninsured motorist issue with my son's car. Thanks for the warning I will be calling my agent. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby starleen2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Sounds Like another call to our agent is due! :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to General Discussion