Uniflex 255

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:08 pm

I would guess 2 qts of CPES and 2 gallons of Uniflex. You might want to grab an extra gallon though, incase you want to freshen up the paint job next year.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:30 pm

I used 3 quarts of CPES and 2 gallons of Uniflex 255 on my 5x8 foot Cubby.

You'll probably get by with 2 quarts of CPES. The flexible luan I used on the roof really soaked up that CPES. And, I applied 2 coats of CPES.

One thing on the Uniflex, the white really shows the dirt. You might consider using one of the other colors.

I have a slideshow on my site showing how I applied it.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TomS » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:02 pm

powderburn wrote: Do you guys think I will be required to fill all the holes made by my 18guage wire nailer or will the CPES and Uniflex fill them alright?I plan to get the filler also (for the seams and screw holes) but,these wire nail holes are really small.

I found that minor defects tend to show through the Uniflex. I would fill in the nail holes and sand it well before applying the Uniflex. I used the Fill-It epoxy filler from the Rot doctor. It is easy enough to apply and sands well.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:20 am

I would apply the uniflex with a 1/4 or 3/8's nap roller, then drag it with a 2 or 3" wide foam brush..... that gives it a very smooth finish. I tried a bristle brush, but it did not work as well as the foam...... if you don't drag the foam brush over it, the roller leaves dimples......

I would roll about a 2x2 foot area, then drag it and move on..... uniflex not only hardens, but also has an 'air dry' character.. if you wait too long, some volatiles will dry and you won't be able to drag it.

I've also found with 2 coats, I can still see 'shadows' of the wood undeneath. The wood is protected well enough, but I migh put a 3rd coat on next year.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques