removable teardrop, wondering what you think?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

removable teardrop, wondering what you think?

Postby caryeastwood » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:51 pm

I'm thinking on a plan to make my teardrop removable from the trailer, so I may use the trailer for other things. First, I would leave the teardrop on the trailer when not in use to prevent warping and damage.

The trailer I'm thinking of using is from Red Trailers http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=4

or this one from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93747

I would use 2X4 lumber as the frame (the 4" side facing out and 2X4 stringers (the 4" side facing up) using dowels and screws and possibly corner gussets to secure the bottom frame. The TD frame would ride outside the frame of the trailer. There I would either or both bolt the trailer through the sides hanging down or have angle iron constructed where I would bolt that to the wood, the iron would go up and turn 90# flush with the top of the frame and I would have welded a down peice that would slip into where the stake side would have gone. Any advice?
caryeastwood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jagular7 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Here is my current combo. A 4x6 tilt tongue utility trailer with 15" side rails and a PV flat top TD.

As for your plans, you may want to look at having a bottom to the TD and then have the skids attached to that. Rather than have the TD bolt to the trailer, you'd be probably better off to use 'J' hooks of sometype. That way you won't have to lay on the ground to loosen the bolts throught the trailer bed. You could do it standing up. On the same layout where the hooks would be secured to the TD, why not look at adding stands to hold the TD up. That way you can lift 1 corner at a time and actually lift the TD off the trailer. And if you are innovative enough, get a crank style stand. You rotate the stand, crank to load it, then go around and do the same. Then crank enough to actually lift it off the trailer bed. (IIRC there is something like that on a Aussie fiberglass camper recently shown in this forum.) If the stands had the capability to have different ends on it, you can go tri-pod or casters. Casters for moving it around the garage, tri-pod for longer storing. (IIRC same as the Assie site.)
Lastly, do a search here about trailer TDs, slide-ins, etc. There is some discussion on it previously.
Good luck.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby daddiozz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:20 am

I considered this as a possibility ..., but it just sounds like too much work involved removing the TD from the chassis...not to mention the possibility of damaging it in some way.I also considered the possibilty of building the TD on a skidder platform that could easily be slid off the utility trailer ...again though the possibility of damage reared its ugly head...so I abandoned that idea as well > I'd guess it really comes down to what need you will have for the utility trailer outside of using it as a platform for your TD.
.....In my case ,it comes down to the possibility of occasionally using the trailer for moving larger objects I cannot easily fit in my car such as newly purchased furniture or appliances ...my kid's go-cart or even my riding mower .
....In the end ,I decided to build mine slightly wider /taller than the largest object I'm likely to haul and install a floor to ceiling hatch on the back to accomadate whatever I may need to move.My "galley " will be relocated to the front similar to the "jim dandy sportsman "design..My bed will be the thickest futon style mattress i can find that can easily be rolled up or removed for those times.A removable storage unit may be located on the tail end as well.Cleats will be mounted to the inside walls nearest the rear hatch end to accomadate removable shelves for those times when I'll use it as a mobile airplane hanger for my r/c planes....this trailer will definitely be multi-pupose.
....I've decided to call it the 4T-niner....the four "T's" I'm sure are obvious ,niner for 9 ft long ....also a play on "words" for another of mine and my son's favorite hobbies ...panning for gold ,which we frequently do when camping in the N.Ga mountains...
daddiozz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am

Depends on how much room you have, and how often you will have to remove it. I have 3 trailers. oops, sold tear no. 1 today, down to two.

I weighed my utility trailer... 450 pounds... not good, so went with a h/f 1,800# at 240 pounds instead.

I think it is doable, but didn't want the hassle. I might need the utility trailer for a few pieces of ply and have to slide the tear off just for that... not worth it, but I have a bit of room to store things.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby satch » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Mine, technically, can be removed. I never plan to do it, but I like to be able to do it if I really needed to. Most lickly will rip it apart if I tried. 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Teardrop - Cargo

Postby potter123 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 pm

I just joined the teardrop group, but purchased a new teardrop with camping and cargo in mind. I am a potter, and will use the cabin of the teardrop for my pottery inventory (remove the foam mattress). The galley makes a perfect little office for my credit card swiping machine, etc. The trailer easily backs into my 10x10 tent for outdoor shows. 8) I purchased it in July, and have already gone to two shows with cargo, tent (in my SUV) and all the stuff one needs for a show. My trailer is a Silver Shadow 5x8 "Little Guy."
potter123
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

First thing; ditch the 2 x 4s. Have an outer frame made from angle to build the unit on. That will give a rigid structure to the tear. When mounted on trailer frame; drill and thread mounting locations.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Ageless wrote:First thing; ditch the 2 x 4s. Have an outer frame made from angle to build the unit on. That will give a rigid structure to the tear. When mounted on trailer frame; drill and thread mounting locations.
Did you know that 'caryeastwood' hasn't been on the board for some 3 years now. Probably gave up the idea of having a duel purpose teardrop. :o
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ageless » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm

I spent many years thinking out of the box. While not familiar with Cary; modular construction is very do-able
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:17 am

Yep, very doable. :yes:

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:06 am

A while back , there was a picture of a removable teardrop that had four removalble Jack stands that lifted to the teardrop off of the trailer . I can't remember where the post was, does anyone have a picture of it ? Sure would handy! :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:10 am

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Hello,
When I built the "Costta Lotta", I built it with two in floor storage sections. They go thru the frame and are tight to the cross bars. I used the storage compartments to hold the floor above the frame to be use as my building table. Then lowered it in the frame and attached the sides and finished it. Now if I want to use the trailer to haul something else all I need is two scissor jacks place under s/c and Jack it out of the frame. Plus the s/c's can balance the weight on whatever I rest it on. Tho, I haven't had to use it as such, but can if wanted. Oh, it's such a tight fit that I don't have it secured. After 1700 miles it has never given me any trouble. Good luck on whatever you build
and enjoy!
Til later by the fire-- John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:36 pm

You might want to look at the Wazat http://www.microlitetrailer.com which uses a detachable capsule as a concept. the trailer and capsule are both aluminum framed so the capsule can be removed by two guys. This is likely what we would have bought if we had not bought the Mega-Mini.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby madprinter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Possible, but why? I can see doing this if your storage area is too small for two trailers. Don't go to all the trouble and extra exspence to make it removable if you have space. Just pick up a used trailer if you need to haul stuff. I wish you the best in whatever way you go. But don't think you'll save any money building in this manner tho. I'm pretty trifty, and still end up spending over budget. Good luck, and keep us up to date on your build.
madprinter
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques