Tents that attach to the Teardrop

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Tents that attach to the Teardrop

Postby CW5RLC » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:32 pm

I noted on some advertisements tents that attach to the teardrop, not the small side tents, but connect to the kitchen end by going around the camper completely. I located two manufacturers, Endeavour (Canadian) and Texsport. Does any have any familiarity with this type of tent set-up and/or the manufacturers? Any other possibilities out there. I have a 2004 Camp Inn 4x8. I also set up a tent for stand up room, as a living room and as a garage for my bikes. In Florida and the southeast, where I do most of my camping, insects are brutal at times. Connecting to the kitchen seems like a plan. If this topic has been covered someplace here already, I apologize. I am new here. Just point me in the right direction please.
CW5RLC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Micro469 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:29 pm

You got a website for the Endeavor??? :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:30 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You should do a google search for "SUV tents" and you'll have more choices than you can handle. That's the design that will wrap around the rear of a teardrop.

Hope this helps.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Camping tents

Postby CW5RLC » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:01 am

Endeavour tents is mec.ca.
To clarify the question, I can find items thru google. What I am requesting is actual user comments who have the tents. Do the tents work for the intended use or are they not worth it. Which ones are the best in terms of usefulness, wear etc? Having the kitchen inside the tent is what intrigues me, but also what concerns me the most.
CW5RLC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Endo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:05 am

I love this one.......custom made.

I know others have used SUV tents over the galley but I can't remember who.
I have used a SUV tent but I attached it to the side of my teardrop.
My tent would not fit over my galley hatch.......too tall.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby CW5RLC » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks to all for their comments. Googling SUV tents showed a lot of sites, but the tents were all very similar seeming to indicate a common manufacture. Based on the lack of comments, I would assume that most don't use them which is food for thought for me.
CW5RLC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Even though what you are seeking is not something I use in my set up, from my observations of others using an attached shelter for the rear of their tear, I actually like the screen enclosures much better than the SUV tents.

The SUV tent is just that - a tent, with a bottom on it and a closed in feeling because of the walls. Instead, try to find a big bug shelter. There's no floor and it's all screen, but you don't have the isolation of being in a tent for hours on in. Doesn't make sense to me after driving hours to experience some beautiful location just to go into a tent? :?

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:39 pm

We have two Kelty Car-tarps
https://www.kelty.com/p-126-car-tarp.aspx
These worked out well in a jury rigged fashion. The new Mega-Mini will have awning rails on three sides.
I am currently working on finding screens for the one in the rear and will probably get one of the Walmart screens for their canopy at 30$ and modify to fit. I made up poles using paint roller extension poles and these work to make height adjustable.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CW5RLC » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:14 pm

I just reviewed the Camp Inn Camp Outt pictures from 2009. It appears as though at least half of the participants had a screen room. Some had it near the TD, others had the TD under the roof. Most did not have the sides down so the insects must not have been too bad. I am thinking about a screen room modified to fit over the kitchen so I can cook and eat in peace. Good ideas from this forum. Will be in Florida sometime in early January with my son. Will test out something, but January is not the prime bug weather. They tried to eat me alive around Lake Okeechobee in October.
CW5RLC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 pm

CW5RLC wrote:I just reviewed the Camp Inn Camp Outt pictures from 2009. It appears as though at least half of the participants had a screen room. Some had it near the TD, others had the TD under the roof. Most did not have the sides down so the insects must not have been too bad. I am thinking about a screen room modified to fit over the kitchen so I can cook and eat in peace. Good ideas from this forum. Will be in Florida sometime in early January with my son. Will test out something, but January is not the prime bug weather. They tried to eat me alive around Lake Okeechobee in October.

Oh yeah, with Florida's heat and humidity, you definitely want only a breezy screen around you and not a hot tent. :fan:

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jhb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:19 pm

I do this: http://picasaweb.google.com/jhbonnett/G ... 0583774434
Never mind Johnny, (that was Ken's). I have solid sides and mosquito netting when needed. The red tarp makes a dressing/shower room, and has a roof when needed.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby SomewhereInND » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:14 am

Kmart has some real big Canopy Roof Tents, one was 12'X14', other was 20'X14' park whole TD under it, and still have room.

You might have to make the legs a little bit bigger, but TD should be able to fit under it with hatch up

They also sell netting kits for it.

Go to kmart.com and search for 'canopy tent'
SomewhereInND
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:04 am

I got a teardrop so I don't have to put up a tent. At the gatherings we have been to many of the tears have been so swathed in tents you can't even see the tear. The available room taken up by tents and easy ups and what ever is way more than I want.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby SomewhereInND » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:34 pm

I would guess covering it up would eliminate some of the rubber neckers.

Which is sometimes a good thing.
SomewhereInND
Teardrop Builder

REI screen room is our solution

Postby Blumie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:24 pm

When insects are bothersome, we use the REI screen room over the galley, with or without its rain fly. The screen room has huge zipper doors on opposite sides; opening one allows us to "walk" the screen room forward to surround the rear end of the trailer. Mosquito netting or the odd sarong & a few clothespins are all that are needed to close the doorway. The trailer undercarriage is still open, however, but hasn't been bugs' usual attack route, so we haven't bothered covering it.

We can set 2 folding chairs & a long folding table inside the screen room, so we can cook, eat, & hang out in the screen room. I've dried laundry by hanging light clotheslines inside & around it, too - a multi-tasking structure!

If I can use the little app just created by my holiday guest/prospective son-in-law to resize pix, I'll post a few different camps where we've used that set-up... be patient, please.javascript:emoticon(':worship:') Try my new album & let me know if I did it right, somebody?

BTW, I spent $18 at a fabric store and did a little sewing to create a mosquito netting drape that allows us to keep cabin doors open but bugs out on hot summer nights.
Last edited by Blumie on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets