trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:21 pm

another slight problem here....my scanner is too old for my laptop. So...guess I'll have to go shopping for a new scanner first.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:22 pm

Do you have a digital camera? You could take photos of your sketches and upload them... :?:

Mike...

P.S. Part of the cost of building a teardrop is:
a) a digitial camera
b) a scanner
c) a broadband connection if you don't have one yet
d) tools, if you don't have them yet
e) a webpage so that you can put your pictures in your messages

I'm sure there's more...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:29 pm

a) a digitial camera - not yet, maybe for christmas
b) a scanner - an old one that doesn't work with my laptop
c) a broadband connection if you don't have one yet - this I do have
d) tools, if you don't have them yet - I'm sure Bob is looking for an excuse to go shopping :lol:
e) a webpage so that you can put your pictures in your messages - need to get the pictures first

catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:41 pm

You're making progress!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:41 pm

I think you can get by with just A & D just fine.
C isn't available to me. It only took 2 1/2 hours to download that free CAD program on my phone line.
B got left across the street and I aint going back after it.
E gotta make sure you have enough extra space. I started running into problems when I started posting the canoe pics on the boat building site.

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:50 pm

My plan, so far, is a combination of the tailgater and the weekender. The floorplan is similar to the tailgater but on a bit smaller scale. It has a queen bed instead of a king. The general shape is like the weekender. Hope this makes sense.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:59 pm

I can see it...

It's 5' wide... 4' high, and 10' long. It has a porta potty in the first 3 feet of the trailer. The "bathroom" is 3' wide and 3' deep, leaving only 2' for you to enter the trailer and dive into bed. BTW, that's a tight squeeze!

The bed goes all the way to the rear end of the trailer, so the only galley would be what ever you can shoe horn in over the bed. I see a very tight fit for the feet.

Am I close?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:06 pm

I was basing it on a 5 1/2' wide trailer but that could shrink to 5' and we are going to make it 5 1/2' high to allow for standing. And the bathroom is 2' wide (after careful studying while meditating in the bathroom). The galley worked on paper. Did I miss something?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:19 pm

Well, I'd have to see your plans... but based on what you are saying I am starting to see something like this... I could be wrong though...

Do you have Paint on your computer? If you do, you can draw or sketch your ideas, and then upload them to your album here...

Here's my sketch...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:51 pm

I have a rough sketch in my album now. That will have to do until I get a scanner going.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:29 pm

That's one long trailer you got there...

I see 7' for the bed, 2' for the porta-pottie, and another 2' for the galley. That's 11' of trailer. Are you sure you want something that long? Especially if it's that high?

5x11 or 5 1/2 x 11 is going to weigh 1500 to 1800 pounds. Can your tow vehicle handle that?

And you're going to build this in the park near your apartments in a weekend?

Just going for the reality check... please bear with me...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:33 pm

reality.....what's reality :lol:

I guess that's why I keep reading this board, so that I can refine these plans so that they are realistic. We probably won't be able to start building until March at the earliest, so that gives lots of time to refine things.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:36 pm

Cathy,
If you consider doing your porta-potti like Bev did with that side tent thing, that would cut the length down quite a bit.

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:39 pm

A good thing to do is to go to a teardrop gathering and lay down in a teardrop. Once you've experienced that, everything kinda falls into place.

There are a few folks near you... Camp ADK for example. OR if you cross the border, Steve F isn't too far away. Or you could visit the guys I sold my first teardrop to in Buffalo, NY.

The key is to see and feel what a teardrop is. Then you can make changes!

My $.02 worth...

Mike...

P.S. A teardrop is not an RV. A teardrop is 1 step up from tent camping. Think tent, coleman stove and coleman lantern. Now trade the tent for a bed, and you have teardropping!
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:47 pm

mikeschn wrote:There are a few folks near you... Camp ADK for example. OR if you cross the border, Steve F isn't too far away. Or you could visit the guys I sold my first teardrop to in Buffalo, NY.

Time for a geography lesson. Alberta is north of Montana. To be exact I'm about 10 hours north of Great Falls Montana.

I realize that I'm pushing the limits for a teardrop but it would be nice to satisfy all of our needs.
catrinka
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion