how does this look

Anything electric, AC or DC

how does this look

Postby schmidty » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:22 pm

you guys are all pretty smart, so how does this wiring set up look to you? I looked at the previous threads and diagrams and came up with this. I don't plan on using any 110V stuff. I only am using the inverter in case I need it for something random. Oh yeah, and my goal is a teardrop for under $1300. :lol: we'll see about that. I am usually a backpacker so this tear is quite a luxurious upgrade for me. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

:)
schmidty <><

10,000 miles and counting
schmidty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:40 pm

Your diagram looks pretty much like mine, with minor differences. I installed 1 main fuse close to the battery, a hefty sized 50amp. The inverter would blow them when I ran the microwave. Then I installed 2 lugs on the output side of the master switch, one to the inverter the other to the fuse block. I only used a circuit breaker on the AC side.

I plan on using an MP3/CD/DVD player too. I have one in my truck and my wife's SUV. I love it, up to 250 songs on one disc! I use a higher bitrate so I only get around 175-200 per disc. The discs are kinda fragile, one scratch will affect a couple songs. You don't have to take the discs out that much so it isn't very common. Even if it gets damaged, just burn another one, you'll probably be tired of that disc by then anyway.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: how does this look

Postby Joanne » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:55 pm

schmidty wrote:you guys are all pretty smart, so how does this wiring set up look to you? I looked at the previous threads and diagrams and came up with this. I don't plan on using any 110V stuff. I only am using the inverter in case I need it for something random. Oh yeah, and my goal is a teardrop for under $1300. :lol: we'll see about that. I am usually a backpacker so this tear is quite a luxurious upgrade for me. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

:)

They look vaguely familiar to me.... :roll:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

joanne

Postby schmidty » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:04 pm

Joanne, your drawings were definitely an inspiration for mine. I used a few other drawings to make mine how I wanted them to be, and different from yours. I did like the layout of yours though. I don't have corel draw, so I had to use good old microsoft paint. I also did the copyright thing for the same reason you did. I know you don't want your drawings to end up in someone's lame plans on ebay. Thanks for sharing your info, I plan on sharing mine too.
schmidty <><

10,000 miles and counting
schmidty
Teardrop Inspector

Re: joanne

Postby Joanne » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:17 am

schmidty wrote:Joanne, your drawings were definitely an inspiration for mine. I used a few other drawings to make mine how I wanted them to be, and different from yours. I did like the layout of yours though. I don't have corel draw, so I had to use good old microsoft paint. I also did the copyright thing for the same reason you did. I know you don't want your drawings to end up in someone's lame plans on ebay. Thanks for sharing your info, I plan on sharing mine too.

Good morning Schmidty!

This may sound funny, but it makes me feel good that my drawings have been useful. It's rewarding for me to have something that I did make a small contribution to the efforts of those building their own trailer. One thing that always impresses me about the great folks on this list is their willingness to share their ideas and help others with their designs. Thanks for taking the time to share your plans with all of us!

I really like the way that you included the required wire gage for each circuit. I should probably include that on mine as well, but I just haven't gotten around to it. :thumbsup:

I think all of us should have a copyright statement on our published work. As you pointed out, not to be selfish but to keep it out of the hands of the unscrupulous plan sellers.

Joanne

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby vairman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:04 pm

I think I would add a Battery Isolator just to be safe and not draw off the cars battery.... See Drawing

I modified your drawing..... Greg :) :)
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby Joanne » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:20 pm

vairman wrote:I think I would add a Battery Isolator just to be safe and not draw off the cars battery.... See Drawing

I modified your drawing..... Greg :) :)

Hey Vairman,

The soleniod in the tow vehicle circuit acts as the isolator. It sits in a normally-open mode and only makes connection when both the charging switch and ignition switch are on (ie - when you are driving). When you turn off your ignition the circuit is disrupted by the solenoid opening. Turning off the charging switch disables the circuit the same way since they are connected in series. Am I missing something? :thinking:

Joanne

P.S. - My dad had a pickup Corvair when I was little. I remember the side gate that would fold down into a loading ramp. Pretty cool. He really liked it.

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby vairman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:40 pm

Yea, I guess the Circut is a little redundant So here is an easier one...

And the rampside Corvairs are cool...

Greg :twisted:
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:24 am

vairman wrote:Yea, I guess the Circut is a little redundant So here is an easier one...

Just repeating what I read elsewhere earlier today - you might want to add another big fuse next to the trailer battery, so that the line is protected all the time. At present, even when the isolator is open, the line is at 12v from the trailer battery.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby QQMoose » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:03 pm

Maybe I am obsolete, or my trailer is obsolete. Why do you need all that electrical stuff for anyway ? Yes my trailer has tail lights, and 3 interior lights. I have a small car battery running the interior lights and the tail lights run off the car battery. The trailer battery is charged by the car. I have a grand total of 6 wires inside the trailer, mated to a fuse block. OK so I don't have a TV, stereo, or, for that matter, air conditioning. Camping is camping. If I wanted all the luxuries of home, I would have bought a "mobile home".
QQMoose
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:13 pm

QQMoose wrote:Maybe I am obsolete, or my trailer is obsolete. Why do you need all that electrical stuff for anyway ? Yes my trailer has tail lights, and 3 interior lights. I have a small car battery running the interior lights and the tail lights run off the car battery. The trailer battery is charged by the car. I have a grand total of 6 wires inside the trailer, mated to a fuse block. OK so I don't have a TV, stereo, or, for that matter, air conditioning. Camping is camping. If I wanted all the luxuries of home, I would have bought a "mobile home".

....K.I.S.S......always a good way to go :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ....a master fuse at the battery is not a bad idea for an addition to your system...a little extra protection...ya know the belt and suspenders thing...again :D ;)

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets