Battery Size??

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Size??

Postby vairman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:41 am

What would be a good size battery for a tear?? I was thinking a 75 amp hour batt.... let me know
This was what I had in mind... http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/SpecSheets/UB12750.pdf

Greg :)
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi Vairman

Questions need answering first

What will you be running? Lights, furnace, fans, TV's (do find the wattages)
How long will you run them each day?
Will you be boondocking mainly or staying with shore power locations?
How long do you intend staying on one spot, without driving?

If you are sticking with shore power a 75 amphpour will be fine, if not 110 would be a good guess for a weekend away from power.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:44 pm

Greg,

IMHO the type of battery is more important than size for use in a teardrop. I think you will find a deep cycle battery will give loger life. The battery you have linked to looks like a gel cel type battery and from what I remember they are more suited to standby use and don't live long in deep cycle use.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby vairman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:16 pm

Here is a site that explanes the AGM type Battery
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/AgmTech.htm

I just thought it would be a good choice for the gally area, and as far a my electrical load goes I hopefully will have shore power most of the time... But a 110 Ah batteru would be good too....

Thanks Greg
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 pm

just me, 'cause it's the way I am :D but I would get the biggest(amp) type AGM battery I could find/afford ina type 27 or so size
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

battery types?

Postby schmidty » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:29 pm

:thinking:
Madjack - What type of battery did you mention, type 27?? Everytime I think I know enough, to get started, somebody here brings me back to reality. I don't really know what I'm doing. :?
schmidty <><

10,000 miles and counting
schmidty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:37 pm

vairman wrote:Here is a site that explanes the AGM type Battery
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/AgmTech.htm

I just thought it would be a good choice for the gally area, and as far a my electrical load goes I hopefully will have shore power most of the time... But a 110 Ah batteru would be good too....

Thanks Greg

Greg,

Thanks for posting that...guess I didn't know what an AGM battery was. Sounds pretty good from the specs.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cutterpup » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:17 pm

First you need to figure out just how much power you are going to need and how long it will be before recharging. With that bit of info you then can find the capacity of a battery that you will need. Using the advise of the bigger the better battery and then you use it only for a couple of lights from time to time means you just wasted a lot of money $> for nothing. Some hotrodders use a mini size battery to save weight and space. It still has enough power to start the car and then the alternator takes over. If you find that you will take a long trip away from the power cord then bring along extra batteries for that trip.

I know this is a lot more than you want to think about but without at least considering this you might 1. have too much battery (wasting valuable beer storage space) or 2. not enough and be sitting in the dark drinking warm beer. :thumbdown: :fb

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Re: battery types?

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:28 pm

schmidty wrote::thinking:
Madjack - What type of battery did you mention, type 27?? Everytime I think I know enough, to get started, somebody here brings me back to reality. I don't really know what I'm doing. :?

Heck schmidty, if I actually knew what I was doin', I'd be rich instead of just being so darn good lookin' :D ;) ...batteries have a n amp/hr rating and a size rating...a type 27 battery is about the largest physically of the automotive style batteries...you still haveta check the a/hr ratings, but more plates can go in a 27 than a 24 or 21 and so on and so on
here is another battery site 4 u
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi

Sorry so busy answering about size, I missed the Type saga.

AGM can take abuse, ie not being charged properly (ie being charged via vehicle alternator) being over discharged, being left discharged. The down side to AGM batteries is the cost and the fact that they have to be charged more slowly (14.4v max)

If you are going to treat your battery well, ie use a decent three or four stage mains charger, use a smart regulator on your alternator (turns alternator into a 4 stage charger) and recharge battery regularly, Then a good standard lead acid battery will serve you well and not cost you the earth.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi again

One other thing is they say they are totally sealed and no Hydrogen escapes, this is not strictly true in reality they are valve regulated which means if you keep the charging rate slow they will not let gas escape.

Same with Gel they used to say it could be used anyway up (though quite why anyone would need this facility is beyond me, reminds me of a 1 trick pony and not even a really usefull trick!) now they are more cagey on the subject.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:24 pm

Read page 7 of this link

it describes what can happen when people believe the hype about "sealed" and Valve regulated batteries, this one is specifically about Gel but valve regulated is same for both types.

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/pdfs/BSC78.pdf#advisory
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets