How many watts per amp?

Anything electric, AC or DC

How many watts per amp?

Postby WarPony » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:06 pm

I'm going with a 12V setup in my trailer and want to know how many watts equal an amp? I'm just going to get a group 24 or 27 battery and use the car to charge it up or use a small 110V charger when I'm hooked to shore power. Solar stuff is too expensive and I don't want to buy a noisy generator. I won't be camping for months on end, Q....... or hunting in -300* below 0, Powderburn.......... :lol: . What I'm doing now is buying a small 12V fan, electric blanket, a 110v/12v TV and lights. Just trying to figure how much I can run at once and for how long with the battery I will purchase at a later date. This will be "One" of my winter projects for my trailer. Powderburn got me thinking about putting a small heater in my trailer after the pics he sent me of his :thinking:!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:46 pm

powderburn wrote:Watts devided by volts equals ampres.

Ah, yes. I forgot that formula. That also reminds me, in a 12V system the lower the voltage in the battery, the amperage goes up to keep the wattage the same (or as close as it can). That's how crappy car batteries burn up starters. I know that my setup in my trailer will never put a load on a battery that a starter does but it will make me keep on top of the battery charging, that's for sure.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Q » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:37 pm

Remember that when you build your engine/alternator that you'll need some sort of a flywheel. Lawnmower engines in general use the blade as a flywheel.

Q

powderburn wrote:PS

Im going with 12volt only in my TD too.Although,I will be building a 12v charger using an altinator and a lawnmower engion.
If I need a 110 volt service,I will just plug in a plug strip. :thumbsup:

KISS......(thats keep it simple stupid) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Kevin A » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:20 pm

Q wrote:Remember that when you build your engine/alternator that you'll need some sort of a flywheel. Lawnmower engines in general use the blade as a flywheel.

Q

powderburn wrote:PS

Im going with 12volt only in my TD too.Although,I will be building a 12v charger using an altinator and a lawnmower engion.
If I need a 110 volt service,I will just plug in a plug strip. :thumbsup:

KISS......(thats keep it simple stupid) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, Lawnmowers have the flywheel located on the opposite end of the crankshaft from the blade. The blade can easily be replaced with whatever drive unit one desires, sprocket for driving a chain or a pulley for driving a v-belt. Just be sure that whatever is added has been balanced.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby emiller » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:54 am

emiller
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:13 am

emiller wrote:8) Ever think of solar power

Yep, too much money and work. Cool website, though. I'm going to look into the Trojan battery.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Cutterpup » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 am

I use this type of solar charger to keep the battery fully charged when not in use. It will add some power to the battery when we are camping, but at 5 watts it just not that much.
http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=325.

The first year I own it I used it to keep the battery for the pool cover pump charged over the winter. Now that it mounted on the battery box I have to buy another one or keep charging the battery.
$>
Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Davel picked up some nice solar panels off ebay, they are what VW puts in the cars to maintain the batteries while in transit. They are not water proof but you could build a nice enclosure for them that would keep them dry. I think they put out 3.5 volts each. I think he said he paid $8.00 each but I am not sure.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:34 am

Handy Ohms law calculater...Steve

http://www.riedon.com/riedon_calculator.htm
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin