Shock Absorbers

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Shock Absorbers

Postby Roberto » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:36 pm

Well I "Dove In" this weekend and started my trailer. What's the Pro's & Con's on 'Shock Absorbers on TD's.
I don't see them on any of the build pages, so are they needed to keep the TD's from bouncing all over the place or are they just not necesary.

Thanks,
Bob

:o
Roberto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaulC » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:50 pm

I'm not an expert on this but I've fitted leaf springs with an anti-rebound spring fitted to the top to minimise bouncing. I have not had a lot to do with torson type axles but I think that they would have anti-bounce built in. No shockers means keeping close to the original concept.
Cheers
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the membership is divided fairly equally between torsion and leaf spring axels...................but I don't know too many who have chosen to use shocks. I don't believe it's a "retro" thing, but just that for regular road use they aren't really all that helpful. I'm going with the torsion axel because I understand they ride a little smoother and I'm not crazy about the thought of breaking things in the galley. :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby goldcoop » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:17 pm

Roberto-

Check out:

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/s ... rokit.html

Lots of good info. on retro-fitting shocks to trailers.

I added this URL to links, sources of supply!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:54 pm

Roberto,
Welcome, There are a couple of tears out there with leafs and shocks. I think many people that want a smoother ride go torsion, and get an added benefit of adjustable ride height. I do not think it would be hard to retrofit shocks if you go leafs and find it too rough. Good luck
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 pm

Torsion axles combine the benefits of spring and shocks in one unit. However they are more expensive and only the Flexiride brand offers an owner adjustable start angle. Some people have tried lowering their air pressure to get a better ride with some success...Due to having a senior moment, I can't remember who did a shock re-fit to their TD and documented it in their journal...hopefully they will read this and respond
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:10 pm

That would be Larry and Diane's benroy...
http://www.outbackteardrop.com/
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby fromscratch » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Hi there. Just my 2 bucks(inflation) If aTorsion bar breaks you will be stuck where your at. If a leaf spring breaks you can readily get them.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
Benjamin Franklin
fromscratch
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Shock Absorbers

Postby Gage » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:48 pm

Roberto wrote:Well I "Dove In" this weekend and started my trailer. What's the Pro's & Con's on 'Shock Absorbers on TD's.
I don't see them on any of the build pages, so are they needed to keep the TD's from bouncing all over the place or are they just not necesary.
Thanks,
Bob :o
All I can say is you missed two build sites. The Outback and mine. People have followed me and asked why my tear doesn't bonce. I just tell them that it must be the shocks.

Have a good day.
8)
IF I was to build another. It would have leaf springs and shocks.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:51 pm

jus4fun wrote:Hi there. Just my 2 bucks(inflation) If aTorsion bar breaks you will be stuck where your at. If a leaf spring breaks you can readily get them.

I have heard and agree totally with that point of view...what I would like to know is if anyone out there has had a torsion axle break on them...or even heard of one actually breaking...what I am talking about is the torsion design used by Dexter and Flexiride...not the coil torsion design found on old KenSkills and such...really not trying to pick a fight here...just for informational purposes and my own peace of mind, I would like to know this, since it is the argument for which there is no response to in the great suspension debate and the one possible weak point of a torsion axle......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:59 pm

jus4fun wrote:Hi there. Just my 2 bucks(inflation) If aTorsion bar breaks you will be stuck where your at. If a leaf spring breaks you can readily get them.

Torsion axels, (at least the Flexiride I have, and the Dexter that others have) don't really have torsion bars, they use Goodyear rubber for the torsion effect not twisting bars of metal like some of the millions of cars on the road. But that's not the point of my post. It is a matter of preference. I liked the adjustable starting angle, and changable height ability. Also liked the fact the axle could be bolted right to the frame. 15" wheels and a relatively low ground clearance without having to use a drop axle. Although there is nothing wrong with drop axles if that is what you want. Lastly, torsion axles give you independent suspension. Guess that was about 3 cents worth of my opinion... Just the way I see it.

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:18 am

what I would like to know is if anyone out there has had a torsion axle break on them...or even heard of one actually breaking...

Jack,

Airstream trailers have been using the tortion type axles at least since the 60's, that I know of, and I've never heard of one breaking. I would think they are much heavier loaded than ANY teardrop could ever be.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:17 am

madjack wrote:
I have heard and agree totally with that point of view...what I would like to know is if anyone out there has had a torsion axle break on them...or even heard of one actually breaking...what I am talking about is the torsion design used by Dexter and Flexiride..

Do they break? Most definitely, in about 15 years of building and repairing trailers I have seen quite a few come back broke. But they don't generally break where you might think, I can only recall seeing 2 that the rubber went bad in them, don't know for sure what caused that tho. What I saw the most of was the spindle snapping off at the arm. (mostly on 2k axles) I replaced lots of them due to that but I also believe that the ones that were replaced for that reason should never have had torflex axles in the first place. They work well for what they are designed for but they don't handle abuse as well as spings do. If you aren't over loading them and staying to the highways/roads without craters in them you shouldn't have any problem on the other hand keep in mind that they can only flex so far, after that point something has to give and the only something there is the spindle. I personally don't care for them but I won't say for our application they aren't a good option. The choice between the two is mostly personal preference so use what you like.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:07 pm

....thanks NT, that is the kinda info I was looking for
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Shock Absorbers

Postby BobR » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:19 pm

All I can say is you missed two build sites. The Outback and mine. People have followed me and asked why my tear doesn't bonce. I just tell

Gage...make that three build sites. They really work well...when the auto transport company delivered my tear to me in Florida when I moved from Torrance, CA, the driver told me he had "never" pulled a trailer that tracked so well or rode so smoothly. He wouldn't have said that if he pulled it before I mounted the shocks :D

Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques