Table Pedestal

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Table Pedestal

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 pm

I'm waiting for my paint to show up so I can get the frame painted and get on with my build.
I realized that I should go ahead and build my table pedestal now so I can shoot it as well...
I need to do a sectional pedestal, because the table will be part of the support for the mattress... Directly over the dropped footwell, when it's in the stowed position.
The base of the pedestal will be welded directly to the tounge, which intersects the dropped footwell.
I need two different size pipes that nest together with a good fit.
So far the only good fit that I've been able to come up with is 2" schedule 80 and 1 1/2" schedule 40.
Yaa my frame is in there amongst the heavyweights, (By choice) but I don't want to be the record holder... :lol:

Anyone know of a good match in something a little bit lighter?

BTW-A buddy of mine is willing to lathe the schedule 80 down for me, he just doesn't know it yet... :lol:

Postby goldcoop » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Dean-

I used the traditional tubular table pedestal tube, cut to length and recrimped to fit base plates as shown towards the bottom of the page:

https://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalo ... gory_id=29

You may find the adjustable table leg at the top of that page interesting?

How about PVC drain pipes, they are lite enough...

Just some thoughts!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:31 pm

Coop,
Thanks...
That setup wouldn't be stout enough for my needs and if I was to do a telescoping pedestal, it would need three sections...
I looked at some pvc pipe yesterday, but found nothing in the larger diameters which nested well.
I guess a drawing or three would help to show what I'm after here...
I'm going to stop by my buddy's muffler shop this afternoon and see what he has in mind for me...

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:35 pm

Dean why not use some Al angle under the bottom edge of the seat area...raise the table remove the(now) one piece solid leg and set the table down on the angle to complete the bed area...KISS
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 pm

'Cause I'm a Norwegian, that's why. :lol:

Pst... Don't tell anyone, (Especially Buford) but I'm actually starting to take overall weight into account. :o :shhh: :P :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:43 pm

Well, I too have a pretty serious streak of Viking in me, and I learned a long ago that when I stopped banging my head against the wall, that I could see much, much clearer because the blood was no longer running down into my eyes... :o :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:00 pm

Jack,
KISS to me means just having to chuck the center section of the pedestal down into the dropped footwell when I go to switch from dinette to bed...
(Not to mention a small riser of some sort at each door to give the mattress support there too...)
I've got an idea of a hinged riser that flips down into the dropped footwell when it's configured as a dinette. Making the table split and adding a leaf is a considerartion too, but I'm not seeing a handy place to store the leaf when the table is set in the dinette mode.

Besides... Have you ever really seen a Norwegian that keeps it simple? :lol:

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:06 pm

What will the minimum height be when your table is down in the bed position?

You could get away with a boat seat pedestal. Something like this.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 001/110499
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:20 pm

From the top of the tounge to the top of the table in the sleeping configuration, that distance will be approx. 9 1/4". From the top of the tounge to the top of the table when it's set up in the dinette mode, that distance will be approx. 28." (Approx 30" from the bottom of the dropped footwell)
I'd need to have a three piece setup to telescope the table up to the dinette height.
I'd love to do it like that too, but I'm having a hard time finding two pieces which nest good, let alone three.

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:31 pm

I will take a look and let you know what I find out, my father-in-law is in the marine business and sells that sort of thing.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Thanks Fly Fisher,
Even a hydralic jack would be lighter than these two pieces of pipe I have right now. :lol:

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:48 pm

Well after a quick search nothing I found adjusts to those two heights.
But what I did find was you can get two different pedestals that are removeable.
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/ ... ogId=10051

They have a 9" one and a 30". Garelick is the brand.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby goldcoop » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:00 pm

Dean-

I got a better idea of what you are trying to do now that I see the drawings!

I did basically what MJ suggested, created a lip for the table top to set in (on my jump seats).

I just remove the pedestal post and throw it on a overhead shelf and drop the table top between the seats...

Are you thinking you need the pedestal for support in the retracted position?

I have a bed leaf on my folding configuration that is 1/2" ACX that is 2' x 6' and only supported on the two long edges, with no problem (we sleep 4).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Coop,
Thanks...
Now I understand what Jack was suggesting...
I thought he was suggesting spanning the distance between the two seats... :?
Sorry There Chief... (Wipes blood from eyes)
The pedestal idea I've shown will give support when stowed, but not as good as the lip idea...
Something I didn't mention before... Under the two benches... there will be four drawers. I gotta think of a clean way to do the lip... I was planning on using a face frame there for the drawers and I've got reservations about slapping up a piece of angle iron to the face plate, but angle iron would give the top rail of the face frame more strength to support the weight of my butt... :thinking:

Postby bdosborn » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:12 pm

Instead of angle iron, why not put a rabbet in the two seats so the table drops down into it?
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques