H.F. heater

Anything electric, AC or DC

H.F. heater

Postby Chip » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm

Was the local Harbour Freight look and wish tonight and saw a small 12V car interior heater,,, It is supposed to be used for auxillary heat or to warm up the interior of a car or truck,,, Anybody seen these and I wonder how well it would work for a tear cabin heater,,, Any words of wisdom or thoughts from the group?? this gizzmo was less than 10 bucks so it could be something to consider in temperate cold areas,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chip » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:45 pm

powder I didnt get any of the specs on this unit,,, I am gonna only be using it with shore power hookup tied into a power converter so I am not worried bout draining a battery,,, its small, campact and inexpensive,,, and for the price I might try it just to see,, heck if it dont work in the tear then Ill use it in my car like it says I am suspose to,,,

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:19 pm

Hey Chip, we have an auxillary/defrost heater like that, however we got it from JC Whitney. We use it to warm the cabin air about 5-10 minutes before turning in. We also use the 12V electric throw that Northern Tools sell. The size is about 30 X 70 or so. This we use to warm the sheets up before crawling or pouring in for the night :?

The defroster does pull a lot of power. Very surprised that the throw doesn't pull too much. Then again, after about 15 minutes of warming the bed, we don't need it for the rest of the night.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:22 pm

Chip...we bought one a while back cause it was on sale for 6.99.
It does indeed put out heat.
Not a large volume of heat but It draws 10amps...the amount of heat it puts out is probably not really worth the amp draw...on shore power that really isn't an issue.
We haven't had it a tear yet since it isn't finished so I can''t say how well it would heat it, but it would take a bit of time to knock the chill off much less actually heat it
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Endo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:01 am

Chip

I have a HF heater in my tear. It does take the chill off and for the money it's not a bad deal. The fan does make noise, but I think the fact that it does not cycle on and off is an advantage. If you can sleep with the "background noise" then it's not a problem.

I have also used a ceramic heater with a thermostat. It did a great job of heating the tear but every time it cycled on it woke me up. The ceramic heater is not as loud as the HF heater but for some reason I would always hear the fan kick on and I would wake up.

I have my heater mounted at the front of my tear below the front shelf.

Endo

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:13 am

Thanks for the info and input,,, these little fans are on sale for $6.49 right now so me thinkd me gonna get one, even though it might wind up in the "not such a good idea" box in the corner

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:49 am

Oh, you got one of those boxes too? :lol: :x :cry:
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director