Installing an air conditioner in a teardrop...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:28 pm

I have a new Teardrop Trailer (Little Guy) and I am trying to figure out how to add an A/C. Can you stear me in the right direction? Mine has a Cargo Carrier from J.C. Whitney. Later. Nils Mahler, Houston TX
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Brads photo album

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:29 am

Nils,

I found a photo album on the web with Brad's air conditioner. See if that gives you any ideas!

Mike...

http://community.webshots.com/album/64208972XFrsCb
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Teardrop A/C

Postby bradley_1320 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:21 am

Nils, I have the a/c installed in the lower bulkhead with the exhaust blown out the bottom. It works fairly well, and completely hides the a/c from the outside. This was very important to me as I sometimes tow with my 35 Ford Tudor Sedan and wanted a traditional look to the tear with no modern accessories visible. I loose some efficiency by doing it this way, but it still will get down in the 60's inside the trailer even in 100 degree weather.

Brad Ferguson
bradley_1320
Teardrop Inspector

A/C for Teardrop trailers

Postby Nils » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:32 pm

Thanks for all your input.

I am born in Sweden and came over here in -82. I have always had American cars or Merchedes over in Sweden. (Only one Volvo.)

I realy like the Teardrop Design and it is a perfect size for my "American Car Friends" living in Sweden.

I contacted the "Little Guy" company and I have got approval to sell them in Sveden + North Texas. They are changing the Ordering Qty's so I have not decided what to do. My first plan was to send "The Trailer" with a Cadillac Eld. Biarritz Roadster-85. New paint and new fake conv. top. Only 63 K miles. I have had all kinds of problems from finding a hitch for the front wheel driven car to Emission control. I think that I have everything covered now. I am sure that something else will come up.

What I like about the Little Guy's besides the designe and the quality of work, is the 2" rear opening for a trailer hitch or a "Cargo Carrier". I have some photos but HOW DO I ATTACH A PICTURE TO MY MAIL?? I don't have a web site.
I also started to put together a list with part No'S. what parts are needed from my friends at JC Whitney to build the fold up "Cargo Carrier".

Your A/C design, is it a 5.5? ton unit??
Isn't it way oversized?

How many HP will it take to run that unit??

I was thinking of putting a small generator on the carrier.

I saw a design on TV were a lady turned her spare tire in to a table by swinging it out and turn it over.
Anybody that knows what I am talking about and have the designe?

Thats it.

Nils Mahler, N. Houston TX

Ps. I mainly have Fords -57 and a -62 Sports Roadster and some more.
Nils

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:36 pm

Nils,

When you log in you can upload to your personal photo gallery here. The only requirement is that the pictues be sized to something less than 800x600. Actually 640x480 is pretty much perfect for here!

The just upload your picture to your gallery and tell us all about them! :bounce:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

A/C for my "Little guy"

Postby nissem » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:27 pm

Hi again,

Nissem stands for Nisse=nickname for Nils ( like Lars = Lasse) and m is ofcourse for Mahler. I hope it is okay to use that username.

I do not want to sound too stupid but how do I upload ( I do have a PE in Mechanichal Eng.) like a photo or a spread sheet.?? I also hope that I can bring them down to 640 X 480.

What does BB Code mean??

Later,

Nils
nissem

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:12 pm

Hi Nils,

To upload a picture just click on Album, then Your Personal Gallery, and then click on the button that says "Upload Pic" and follow the prompts.

Before you start that you need to resize the pics to 640x480.

Do you have a program on your computer that does that?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Little Guy

Postby beverlyt » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:13 am

Hi Nils,
I'd like to hear more about your trailer. I was very close to buying one before we decided to build one instead.
Are you going to equip it with stove, etc.? Are you happy with the quality?
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

A/C for my Little Guy

Postby nissem » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:45 pm

Hi again.

I tried with a photo but was re-jected!!( Story of my life, I guess)
The file was too large.
I will try a gain later on. In the mean time, here is the web site to the Master Distributor, www.teardroptrailersexpress.com
Go in under "Little Guy Trailers" and you can find the different models, (Standard and Deluxe, the one I got + 14" wheels) and also a photo Gallery.

Also, at the top right, there is a different Teardrop designe, click on that also.

Regarding quallity, I worked for the same company for 30 years, started as a welder "and went down hill from there". When I took early retirement/ Longterm Disabillity, 2001, I was up to 16 titles.
I am very impressed with the quality incl. welds. The few things that I did not like, I have told the factory about. I was also a Production Engineer.
Regarding the galley, it is only a shelf that can be folded up. (I have complained about the screw that holds it up, it needs to be a bolt type)

When I took it to a swap meet here in Conroe end of february, I had a 6'2" guy get in it. He still had about 2" between his tennis shoes and the rear wall.
I had the best responce anybody could wish for!!! I was in Sales & Marketing my last 20 + years. Many times I had to set up displays and work the shows, so I have some experience.

The MRSP is $3,450 + freight. That is more than the Market can carry.
I had to pay about $400 in freight + I also have to pay 6 .25 % sales tax.
(As long as money changes hands here in TX, you have to pay Sales Tax, new or old)
The two I have sold, I have charged $3,550 net to the customer. That is including the adder for the 14" wheels.

Has anybody keept track how much you spent on your trailer ??

Again what is BB Code??

Later,

Nils
nissem
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:38 pm

BB is bulletin board, so BB code must be Bulletin Board code. Where did you see this term? Is it related to uploading something or putting tags on a page?

If you don't have a paint shop program installed, then go to http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/? and download paint shop pro. Open up your picture, and then from the drop down menu select IMAGE -> RESIZE, and specify 640x480. Save the new image.

Then you'll be able to upload your picture.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:44 pm

BBcode is in the profile Mike.

Bufordt :twisted:

PS: Good gash. didn't know there were that many emoticons :GMC:

mikeschn wrote:BB is bulletin board, so BB code must be Bulletin Board code. Where did you see this term? Is it related to uploading something or putting tags on a page?

If you don't have a paint shop program installed, then go to http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/? and download paint shop pro. Open up your picture, and then from the drop down menu select IMAGE -> RESIZE, and specify 640x480. Save the new image.

Then you'll be able to upload your picture.

Mike...
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:53 pm

Oh I see, BB code is a hot link too, so I clicked it, and it told me all about it. It's the tags we use in our messages, like bold face and images!

Oh you want emoticons? You got em! I was busy this morning, can you tell? :big1:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

A/C for a Teardrop Trailer

Postby nissem » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:18 pm

Hi again,
Sorry that I have not answered but I have been working on shrinking photos!!

That is a tough format to bring it down to and still show any details.

To sum it up regarding A/C for a small trailer, everybody is using a 5 ton unit or the smallest you can find at the local hard ware store??

What heating unit is the most common?? I guess you don't need much. Perhapes a Golf Cart heater will do the job??

Has anybody tried a "Battery Brain"?? A unit that you hook on to your car battery and it shuts off when the battery goes below 11.9 V. for one minute?? If it worked it would be greate, You only connect the two batteries together and forget about it.
I am thinking of putting one on the car that I am sending to Sweden together with the Teardrop Trailer.

That is all I got.

Thanks for all information.

Later,

Nils Mahler, North Houston TX
nissem
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:47 pm

Hi Nils,

First of all I took 1 of the pictures you emailed me, and cropped it a little bit, and then resized it to 640x480. I think there is enough detail. What do you think?

There are not many heaters in teardrops. Q has one. I have one. That's about all I know of. Most people use 12v mattress warmers. I can't find the link for electro-warmth right now, but here's a link to someone that carries their product.
http://www.kansaswindpower.net/bed_warmers.htm

Does anyone remember the right link. I'd like to get that posted in our links section.

Also the heater that Q and I use, looks like this...

As for air conditioners, most people use the cheapest one they can find. For example I used this one from sears. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... on.new=Yes

Tell me more about the battery brain. Do you have a link (URL)?

Thanks,

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

A/C and Battery Brain

Postby nissem » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:24 pm

Hi again,

Thanks and as long as everybody can see what a Cargo Carrier looks loke. I need to get a better program, if I am going to "hang" with you High Rollers. Joke!!

Battery Brain = JC Whitneys #81SB7213U. I am not working for JC but I am in to gadgets. I realy like the idea due to you should be able to use the Car battery from lets say Max. 14.5 V. down to about 12V.

Later,

Nils
nissem
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques