what is the best way do you think i could cook in my car?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

what is the best way do you think i could cook in my car?

Postby curiouswill » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:55 am

I've been wondering about how i could cook something real quick without taking too up much spaces.

description of my "camper"

I got a 1988 Toyota Corolla FX and i've took out all the seat except for the driver seat. i plans to put a medium sized cooler in front of where the passenger seat used to be. the leftover floor space would hold the biggest storage bin possible to fit flat with the folded-down back of the back seat. that bin would be for clothes and other essiental camping item (maybe a 12 volt space heater). I plan to get a good peice of 4'x 8' plywood to go flat on top of the cooler and the bin. There will be another bin to hold any other essiental (like my books and folding shovel with a roll of TP on the handle ;-P ) look in whatever categories camper design is to see some more description of my plans.

as you can see i don't have much space to put many cooking equipment so i would like to know from you guy the best way to cook out of the back of the car (it would be alright if some of the cooking stuff use a 12 volt power outlet)

Don't worry about me not having a camping trailer. That will be down the road. i plan to build an actual galley with a compartment that hold the camping tarp to be draped onto the top of the car (with it hatchback door open) it should be small enought to fit on a morticycle trailer.

oh by the way i usually don't mind how hard i ned to cook as long as it is cooks well and cheaply.

I also want to know this so i could cook something to eat for my "lunch break" at 8:30 PM. (i'm sick of cold food) it starting to get really cold over here in CO.

sorry for rambling. i must be a bit more bored than i thought tonight.
well hopefully the next time i check, there r some idea for me to implement.
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:25 am

CW...check out this thread'
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ox&start=0
for some good info, also some of the obvious things like coleman type stoves, you would probably prefer the propane models as they are a little less hassle than the gas type and they can be had in 1,2 or 3 burner models.
Stop by any large truckstop and look at the various 12v appliances...they have a lot, but remember that their use can kill a battery with much use and they are usually slow as it takes 12v awhile to build up heat.
I think it commendable that you want to get out and encourage you to do so...there is a big and wonderful world out there...just beware the guy selling wooden nickels ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:44 am

"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:55 am

I picked up a 1200w inverter and a 950w microwave... that would be quick and easy.

Postby Duckdrop » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:25 am

That manifold oven is pretty cool. I have ahd manifold fold burritos before. The thought of doing a complete meal is intriguing. Lord knows my Wrangler puts off anough heat :thumbsup:
Terry D
Duckdrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby curiouswill » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:36 pm

i've been looking around and saw that coleman has a little propane cooker that goes on top of their camping propane tank. the package said that it put out about 10,000 btu on average so i thought that it may also be a good small space heater. I could try the manifold cooker but most of my camping will be done out of the car. i'm probably gonna just drive a short distance between each stop and beside i perfer keeping my eye on whatever i cooks. the coleman cooker is around $21.95 or something in wal-mart. they also has a set of 2 camping propane tank for like $3.64 i figure that this would be the best way since i'm planning to cook during my lunch break and my work place only have a microwave. i don't usually mind microwaved food but i still perfer actual cooked foods.
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:02 am

CW those little stoves make great little cookers and can work for a heat source
A WARNING....using an open flame for a heat source will produce cabon monoxide and it can KILL YOU...so allow for adequate ventilation and remember it is heavier than air so will collect in low spots
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby LeeB » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:19 am

There is a discount Coleman store in Castle Rock if your going that way. Thats were we got or stove it was $28 cheeper than Walmart you might give them a call for prices. When I worked on the road we used a propane torch for hot dogs and TV dinners (need to be thawed first) also used a metal bucket some holes on the side and grill or grate on top use balls of newspaper for fuel works great for hambugers the grease drips down on the newspapers and keeps the fire going. On use the ones with black ink the colored ink has some bad stuff in it not good on food. It might be a good idea not to do this in the car unless you install a smoke stack. Then someone might call the firedept. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy

Lee
LeeB
Teardrop Builder

best way ....

Postby jay » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:26 pm

with the windows open!

seriously... this isn't a good idea no matter what method causes heat...
jay
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:03 pm

JC Whitney carries a toaster, toaster-oven and coffeepot that all plug into a cigarette lighter. Don't know if they still carry the blender.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:59 am

I tried the manifold cooking years ago. I had a '71 F150 with the big V8. The large intake manifold was the perfect place to sit a double wrapped, heavy duty foil package of beef, potatoes, carrots, onions. It didn't even have to be tied down as the manifold was lower in the center than on the outsides. We just let it cook while we drove and when we stopped, instant pot roast. It doesn't get any easier than that. Most cars today have engine designs that make it harder to do manifold cooking.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:37 pm

cracker39 wrote:Most cars today have engine designs that make it harder to do manifold cooking.

You can say that again, everything is crammed in there. I remember the first time I looked under the hood of a 300ZX Turbo (the last model), the only thing I could think of was, "how do you work on that thing?"
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:42 pm

asianflava wrote:
cracker39 wrote:Most cars today have engine designs that make it harder to do manifold cooking.

You can say that again, everything is crammed in there. I remember the first time I looked under the hood of a 300ZX Turbo (the last model), the only thing I could think of was, "how do you work on that thing?"

You Don't. That's why we have to pay the shop mechs $65 and up per hour. They probably have to lift the engine out to change the spark plugs on some models. Luckily, my Nissan 4 banger has them on top, centered on the engine. I'm sure some of you remember tune ups that consisted of running a nail file across the points, changing the plugs, and setting the timing. Now it needs a $2 million computer to tune one. It's all electronic and chips now.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:07 pm

My neighbor is a professional mechanic, if I get stuck or need something special he usually has it. It's cool because if he is doing a side job at home, I sometimes have things that he forgot to bring home.

Anyway, he told me that some new GM cars you have to setup the body control computer when changing a window motor. It suprised me because we do the same thing where I work. Our motors are for precise movements (.01mm) you would never never notice that in a car window.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby caseydog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:33 pm

The Lunchbox Cooker. Truckers use them.

http://www.holyshitake.com/archives/200 ... t_one.html

And other trucker cooking devices...

http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-cook ... ooking.htm

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member