Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:53 am

Look great Bill Thanks for the pic on the box lid that confirms how I'm going to do my wheelwells.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 am

Looking good Bill.

That tongue box really gives another dimension on the front aesthetics. And, you can't beat its practicality.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:27 pm

We started working on skinning the tongue box today. My wife cut all the skin pieces while I started working on the trim. I was really concerned about bending the trim around the 8 inch radius of the lid.

This is pretty much where I started. It looked hopeless.

About 45 minutes later, it looked like this. It's not perfect, but it will look great once it's all polished up.

Tip for the day: Don't let molten butyl tape drip on your skin. It might as well be napalm.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Sun May 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Well it's been a year since I started my build and we are just now nearing the end. I got a VIN, title, plates and tags all in one day. We are completely street legal now! The trailer tows GREAT. 70mph is no problem at all. It tows easy and straight as an arrow.

Any guesses on what my little camper weighs????

This weekend I installed most of the LP line running from the LP tanks to the stove at the rear of the camper. I also added a quick connect off the side that I'll use to run my generator, camp stove, shower, lantern etc.

For those that are curious, I used a flexible LP line from my regulator to black pipe that runs the length of the camper. The quick connect is on the shore side, just behind the tongue.

Once I finish up the LP this week. I'll get the water tank and lines installed.

Even though I've got a small water tank, I think I may build a water tank and a grey water tank out of 3 or 4 inch pvc and hang them under the floor inside the frame. I'll probably put it right over the axle since I already have good tongue weight. If you've got any input on this plan, let me know...

Sorry, no pictures. The time got away from me today...
Last edited by wlivesey on Sun May 02, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby WesGrimes » Sun May 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Congrats on getting it all legal!
My guess is 1800#
WesGrimes
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 03, 2010 6:17 pm

WesGrimes wrote:Congrats on getting it all legal!
My guess is 1800#

Thanks Wes. It wasn't quite the nightmare I expected. It took at 5 hours to get it all done.

It weighed in at 1890 lbs - dry. It looks like I'm going to have to beef up those springs a bit.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby WesGrimes » Mon May 03, 2010 7:00 pm

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about it getting blown around too much while on the freeway. :D
WesGrimes
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm

WesGrimes wrote:On the bright side, you don't have to worry about it getting blown around too much while on the freeway. :D

That cup must be half full!! :lol:
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 am

Bill,

With your build almost finished, I need to swing by real soon to see your WW.

I really like how you've done your trim. I just don't know if I have the skills and/or the patience to do it that way.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby wlivesey » Tue May 04, 2010 12:41 pm

aggie79 wrote:Bill,

With your build almost finished, I need to swing by real soon to see your WW.

I really like how you've done your trim. I just don't know if I have the skills and/or the patience to do it that way.

It doesn't take much in the way of skills... If I can do it, I'm sure you'll have no problem. Patience, on the other hand was important. I'm still learning the hard way on that one.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 am

This weekend I finished up the propane lines. No leaks, no explosions so I'm happy.

I also installed my gray water plumbing. I decided to go with a hybrid - internal/external system. Even though I've got 10 gallons fresh water capacity, I don't really have room for a 10 gallon gray water tank. So instead of going with JUST an external tank, I decided to add a small 1.5 (estimated) gallon gray water tank made out of 3 inch PVC. The only time we will use this tank is at rest stops while traveling to our next destination. This way, I don't have to hook up our external tank every time we want to rinse off a plate. When we get to camp, I can just hook up the external tank and open the waste valve to empty the internal tank.

The waste valve is pretty well hidden behind the shore side tire.

Internal/External 1.5 Gallon (Estimated) gray water tank.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 24, 2010 5:33 pm

WE FINALLY WENT CAMPING!!!! We couldn't be happier with our maiden voyage. There were no breakdowns and no surprises. The only issues we experienced were little things that we expected.

The biggest problem is that the AC doesn't blow very cold. I have to get it ventilated better. It's not blowing cold enough to keep up with hot sumer days.

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Congratulations on a successful build and your maiden trip! Ya done good! :thumbsup: It looks like you had the campground all to yourself...not even a tow vehicle. (TeeHee!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:12 pm

:P :thumbsup: :beer:

Amazing Bill! Congrats on your first outing.

You did an incredible job with design through execution. I can't wait to see the finished version in person.

BTW - I finally understand your "issues" working with aluminum. The good news is that my weekend vocabulary is now considerably enhanced.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Ageless » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Righteous!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals