Safety check

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:40 am

It is also :stompspam: :stompspam: :stompspam: :stompspam: I am moving it and if the gentleman can email admin and explain he will be back. :(
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:19 pm

I do plan on using screw pin anchor shackle or a quick link on the safety chains rather than a S hook. I would think the ultimate for the ball/nut would be to use a castle nut and cotter pin. I just have a major problem with anything I can't easily take apart.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby afreegreek » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Corwin C wrote:+1
...on keeping big brother outta my business...

Well spoken afreegeek. :applause:

thanks bud.. 8) but it looks like I broke the rules a bit by saying so since my reply to the guy is gone.
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:16 pm

afreegreek wrote:
Corwin C wrote:+1
...on keeping big brother outta my business...

Well spoken afreegeek. :applause:

thanks bud.. 8) but it looks like I broke the rules a bit by saying so since my reply to the guy is gone.

If you read my post above you will see that he was removed as a spammer. 3 posts and 2 about his company. Sorry you thought it was you. I just removed his advertisement where it was quoted.

Your input is valued and I agree with the sentiment.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby canned o minimum » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:58 am

The thing bout safety is...you cannot be too safe. as a truck driver for 21 years, it is jus routine to go thru a "check list" every time before hittin the road. Lotsa great advise here... a reasonably prudent person would certainly do well to heed all this advise...
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bromleymark » Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Hardware stores with old-style inventories (nuts and bolts in bins, no bubble-packs) are a good place to get self-locking nuts. The top of the nut has a neoprene ring that very effectively keeps that nut where you leave it. Use a long-handled wrench and torque that nut hard. It will never come off.

And then, as you say, check it anyway, before every trip.
Tearhead's Guy

Opinions expressed are those of the Trilateral Commission, and are not necessarily those of the author, or either of his cats.
Bromleymark
Gold Donating Member

Postby frank_a » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:42 am

I keep a big channel lock pliers and an open/closed end wrench that fits the nut for any ball I'm using at the time. I check them religiously. I also periodically check the bolts attaching the hitch, just to be sure. I've been towing stuff a long, long time. Better safe than sorry!

Frank
Tiny travel trailer - 1979 Sunline Sunspot. Tow vehicles: 2008 Subaru AWD Outback, 2009 GMC 4WD Canyon. For fun: 1923 T bucket hot rod, 1962 Power Cat tunnel hull speed boat. 1974 Dodge Dart waiting for renovation.
frank_a
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 am

200 ft pounds is the ASTM torque value for a 3/4" common steel bolt, 300 for a 1"shank. I had to use values for the lowest grade steel because I have no clue what is actually in most trailer balls.
HF has a two foot end wrench for trailer ball nuts that should be sufficient.
When I took my 2" trailer ball off for the first time in a bunch of year (which means realistically that I can't room or when I took off last) I found a good bit of corrosion in the threads that would correspond with where the not ended up tightening the ball.
This as far as I'm concerned is sudden death and the ball will be replaced with a stainless steel one
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby frank_a » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Just be cautious. Stainless doesn't have the same hardness, flex, and and other characteristics that steel does.

Frank
Tiny travel trailer - 1979 Sunline Sunspot. Tow vehicles: 2008 Subaru AWD Outback, 2009 GMC 4WD Canyon. For fun: 1923 T bucket hot rod, 1962 Power Cat tunnel hull speed boat. 1974 Dodge Dart waiting for renovation.
frank_a
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:02 pm

1" 18-8 8 threads SS is 286 ft pound unlubricated.
The chrome, that which makes it stainless does make it more brittle but trailer ball is rated 6,000 lbs capacity. And yes I did think about it and investigate. Given a metalergical choice I would go with forged 4140 (what crane hooks and fork lift forks are made of) but this is way past stronger than the attachment to the car ;)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Morgan » Sun May 15, 2011 2:26 am

Thank you for the advice. I think that many times we get careless with things. We do them so many times we just assume we have done the job properly and don't do a final check. I will make it a point to double check this whenever we are using a trailer. I am sure that even if we do everything right, something can still go wrong. :o
Morgan
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 am

No where ,yet, have lug nuts and air pressure checks been mentioned. These have been my two gremins on the road.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Spare wheels?

Postby Breytie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Check all externally mounted spare wheels as well!
I once had one launched at me from under a utility trailer 15 meters /yards ahead of me as I was coming up behind him to overtake. Fortunately the trailer was empty otherwise I would have had a lot more than just one wayward wheel to avoid!
The trailer also bounced quite a few feet in the air in the process. I think it was as much fun for the driver of the TV as it was for me!
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Also, never trust the professional, at least double check him.
Had someone pull into shop with brand new tent trailer, guy was white as a ghost, said it was all over the road and put him into oncoming lane 3 times.
Everything installed by a huge reputable ??? Dealer.
Upon inspection they used a ball with 1" diameter shank on a draw bar with 1 1/4 d shank drill, insted of using approved spacer, guess they didn't have one in stock, the wrapped the ball shank with electrical tape and sent him down the road. Always check check and recheck
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Re: Safety check

Postby 8ball_99 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm

My guess is it was never torqued down tight enough. If the ball is put on right it shouldn't losen up. 300 ft pounds is much more then you think using a wrench.
8ball_99
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops