Modified design question

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Modified design question

Postby Danno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:56 pm

My first post here, but i had to register finally because I've been reading for days now and have decided I need to take the plung and start building something.

I have a 1980 Fiat Spider Convertible that I'd love to be a TV for a TD. I also have a 40x48 trailer that I'd like to use as my base.

with minor mods to the trailer to increase length (not width) I'd like to build something that looks appropriate and tows appropriately behind a small 4cyl and teensy sized car (the Spider is about the same size as a Miata for those who are unfamiliar)

Question: Has anyone built a 40"wide x 96"long x < 40" tall Teardrop? (sits between the tires, axle flipped to other side of springs)

I just want a dry place to sleep, with a very small galley out and maybe a place to throw a couple of things in cabinets inside. I think the Benroy is the basic TD I want, but just modified to those specs above.

I'm 6'2" and young, so I don't need lot's of extra sleeping space, but would like to be able to lay flat with head and toes not touching. I need just under 40" to sit up straight, so i think slouched sitting could work in about 36-38". I want to keep it as flat as possible because the roof of the car with the top up is like 50" and I plan on dropping it a couple more in the near future.

This will be the stepping stone into TTT building because that's what originally brought me to the site. I'd like to make all my mistakes on this and figure out what works for me and what doesn't. then I'm off to build a standie similar to donutboy's or the puffin (took me several days to read that 50something page thread, lol)

Thanks in advance for any leads, wisdom, advice, etc you may impart!
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Awsome tow vehicle!!!

I had a friend who had one of those, an older model though. It was loads of fun!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Danno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks, Mike. I love my little car (doesn't look near as nice as the new one in that ad!). It's amazing what 100hp can do when your car doesn't weigh much!!!!!!
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinksdad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:17 pm

There are several trailers here built on that trailer base, mine included. Itty-Bitty isn't quite the profile you are looking for; but at 7' cabin length it works for me. (The floor is the exact size of a twin mattress.) The major change I had to make to the trailer was to replace the stock tongue with one that was 2' longer. I haven't measured it to be exact; but I have about 43" headroom inside. Fully loaded to go camping the way I prefer, it weighs in about 450 pounds. I flipped the axle to the top of the springs and it comes about shoulder high on me (I'm 5'10").

Side note: Didn't think about it when I built mine; but the spring perches can be moved back about 9" and possibly get the extra foot of length that you are looking for and still give a good overall weight balance with a properly built floor structure.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Danno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 pm

tinksdad wrote:There are several trailers here built on that trailer base, mine included. Itty-Bitty isn't quite the profile you are looking for; but at 7' cabin length it works for me. (The floor is the exact size of a twin mattress.) The major change I had to make to the trailer was to replace the stock tongue with one that was 2' longer. I haven't measured it to be exact; but I have about 43" headroom inside. Fully loaded to go camping the way I prefer, it weighs in about 450 pounds. I flipped the axle to the top of the springs and it comes about shoulder high on me (I'm 5'10").

Side note: Didn't think about it when I built mine; but the spring perches can be moved back about 9" and possibly get the extra foot of length that you are looking for and still give a good overall weight balance with a properly built floor structure.

I just browsed your album and you have almost exactly what I'm looking to build, just a little tall and I think a little short. I probably could go minimalistic and keep your length (I'll have to sketch it out to see what profiles look best), but I know i'm loosing out on storage above my feet by chopping height off of the thing. I see lots of overbuilt frames here. I've been using my 40x48 trailer to haul a LOT of firewood for the past few years and I've built out in front by >1ft and <1ft in the back (it's 6ft exactly) with wood and it's held up fine. I can't imagine my skinny rear or my camping stuff being nearly as heavy as 1000lbs of firewood.

Your weight numbers sound about what I'd expect, but I think I'm aiming to be down around 350 when loaded for a trip. If my wife goes with me that may triple....
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rooky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! Have you checked out the design library yet? The Pico-Light sounds like the perfect design for your needs. :thumbsup:
Rodger & Tami
Rooky
Teardrop Builder

Postby Danno » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Rooky wrote:Welcome to the forum! Have you checked out the design library yet? The Pico-Light sounds like the perfect design for your needs. :thumbsup:

It's close, but it's built 48" wide. Otherwise it's the right height and could be the right length, but I was hoping to be more than a sleeping pod by adding a little length to the thing for some storage space (even if limited)
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby satch » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Piglet was built on a frame that size. She's built on a seperate frame and bolted to the trailer for removal. I built a new axle carrage so I could move it back for balance. I'm only 5'11" and I sleep fine in it, though, it's abit cramped!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Danno » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 am

Rick,
I'm digging the looks of that TD. I went to your album, but the pictures are all approximately 10 pixels x 12 pixels, lol. YOU NEED BIGGER PICS!!!

looks like that is just over 40 inches or right at that height, no? Did you just go at the build, or did you use some plans?
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby satch » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Sorry about the pics, I downloaded that way. :cry:
She's 82"long, 41 1/2 wide, and 46 tall (75 x 39 1/2 sleeping area)
I went with a benroy front for space and free lanced the butt. After I was done, I realized she looked like a baby "Lil' Guy"!
She works good for when I solo, but the deck is abit low for a 8" air matress, I hit my knees when I turn at night.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Danno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

I've decided upon a profile design. I'm not entirely sure about the cabinet and galley layout. It's sure gonna be cramped in this thing, but I don't plan on doing more than a couple of days at a time in this, and it should almost always correspond with decent lawn-chair weather. The wheel isn't exactly to scale, but I went out and measured, so after I flip the axle, the line you see across the bottom should correspond with ground, then the side skirts will ride lower and total height inside should be around 40" at the highest point (which currently corresponds with the cabinet face, so actually less than 40" wherever I'll be sitting, lol.....

doh, just realized this forum doesn't have the "attach image" option whilst posting. I'll get them uploaded and posted in a minute......
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am

here:

Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aaron Coffee » Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I am buidling #2 on what used to be a 40 x 48 trialer, I stretched the frame out to 80 inchs.
I will also be stretching the tongue an additional 2 foot.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Danno » Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm

I like it. How tall is it? do you have more pictures, or a build thread on it?
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danno » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:36 am

new TV might require a change in design....I just bought a 1976 Fiat 128 sedan. The car can hold the whole family, but can I still tow and build a TD that can hold us all? do I even want to try. I'm just not sure at this point, lol.
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Traditional Designs