radius corner window

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

radius corner window

Postby surveytech » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:31 pm

Question for those who have used the radius corner windows in their tear.
Could you mount these without the clamp ring?

My wall are only 1/2" and the only rings I have found are for 3/4 and 1-1/2 inch walls.

Maybe drill through the face of the frame to mount them?

thanks,
Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Re: radius corner window

Postby Kevin A » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:57 pm

surveytech wrote:Question for those who have used the radius corner windows in their tear.
Could you mount these without the clamp ring?

My wall are only 1/2" and the only rings I have found are for 3/4 and 1-1/2 inch walls.

Maybe drill through the face of the frame to mount them?

thanks,
Walter

Have you considered using a 1/4" wood moulding/trim piece under the inner ring? I had the opposite problem, my walls turned out too thick for the ring so I did as you suggested and drilled mounting holes in the window frame itself to mount the window.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby madjack » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:02 pm

we also drilled holes in the outer frame and "blacked" some screws for mounting directly since we didn't care for the look of the ring(cheesy)...I had contacted the distributor and they told me they also did this...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby DestinDave » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:58 pm

I had been wondering the same thing. Thanks for the input Kevin & MJ. By the way, I've looked at several suppliers and most are pretty similar in quality and price. I want 12hx18w dark sliders. Any recommendations on a particular model or supplier?
Thanks, Dave...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby surveytech » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:02 pm

Kevin.....I realize I could trim out the door to get the proper thickness.
Not sure if I want the trim rings though.
Maybe I need them though to just finish it off on the inside.
not sure.

Jack.........how did you trim the windows on the inside if you didnt use the rings?

Dave........I think lowcost trailer supply has them for about 45 each and freight for two on their automatic check out to florida brings it to about 100 bucks delivered for two windows.
maybe others have found something better.

Guess I am just looking for options.
thanks!
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:32 pm

I used the radius slider window with the trim rings, but did not like the way the trim ring installed either. So, I used screws thru the rim of the window to mount and then the trim ring is just that, a trim.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Greg M » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:42 pm

Couldn't you just cut down the trim ring? If they're just an aluminum ring with an inside flange like I assume they are, then you should just be able to run them through a table saw.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Gage » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:54 pm

I had somewhat the same problem with my sun roof. Roof thicker than the sun roof. What I did was attach the sun roof to the outer skin and ply and then installed the ring with the outer skin wedged in between. Then added the bracing and inner skin. Both routed around the complete window which in turn gives me a flush fit. Picture below isn't that good but maybe you'll get the idea of the end result.

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:21 pm

Gage - Did your sunroof have a slight bow to it? I pulled an electric rollback one out of a Pontiac and it has a bit of a bow to it, (actually the glass is pretty flat mostly the frame's bowed) I was wondering if anyone else used on that was bowed. I know most car roofs are and that's where most of them come from. I want to use this one in the next one, already figured out how to trim the inside with a screen in it so that's not a problem, it's just sealing the bow that concerns me.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm

While you already have the radius windows with the slider it really doesn't matter...however....there is an advantage to the crank out windows....they don't allow water to come in when it is raining, not the same look however.......but I'd agree with some of the other replies...just cut down the ring on the outer portion....I've done it using a good variable speed jig saw...don't get in a hurry and let the saw do it's work....get the correct blade also...just my opinion....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Gage » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:09 pm

Nitetimes wrote:Gage - Did your sunroof have a slight bow to it?.........
Yes, it had and still does have a slight bow ('73 Chevelle). One reason I located the sun roof before I located the two cross frames for & aft of the sun roof. My roof is 1/8" ply and .062 alum. When I installed the inside ring with the factory screws it sucked the ply and alum up tight. From the outside, you can't hardly tell there is a bow. And it doesn't leak.

Did that answer your question? Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:43 pm

surveytech wrote:Jack.........how did you trim the windows on the inside if you didnt use the rings?
Guess I am just looking for options.
thanks!

...we used a 1/2 wide vinyl "T" molding around all of our cabinet doors(door edge and jamb)...we also used it several other places including the windows...it fits and looks great...since we haven't finished the doors i don't have a pic of how it worked out but if you click my www button and look at the galley album and "T" molding you will see it...it is aluminized and there is a protective tape onit...I got mine from tjtrailers.com but they are a distibutor for RedNeckTrailer Supplies and I found I could get them cheaper from my local welding supply house who also is a RedNeck dist. and not have to pay shipping for them...mine were 18x24. locally they were $48 bucks a pop
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:13 am

Gage wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:Gage - Did your sunroof have a slight bow to it?.........
Yes, it had and still does have a slight bow ('73 Chevelle). One reason I located the sun roof before I located the two cross frames for & aft of the sun roof. My roof is 1/8" ply and .062 alum. When I installed the inside ring with the factory screws it sucked the ply and alum up tight. From the outside, you can't hardly tell there is a bow. And it doesn't leak.

Did that answer your question? Have a good day.

8)

Yep, that's what I was uncertain of so I'd think mine will work just fine. That should make the wife happy, she really wants one in the next one.
Thanks, Rich
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby surveytech » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:25 am

Jack,
I like the vinyl T molding idea. Thanks.

I know my skills and I dont think I would be able to trim that aluminum trim ring to have it look right. I dont have a table saw and my guess is that I would have lots of "waves" in the aluminum with a jig saw .
perhaps I am just being paranoid.

The vinyl comes in colors too I think. That would be good to keep it all color co-ordinated inside. That should keep the misses happy and we all know how important that is!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby sunny16 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:59 pm

I sure am glad that this forum is here. I have been wondering how to trim out my windows, too. There will be a "gap" between the outer frame of the window and the inner trim ring. I was thinking of a strip of foam around the inside of the two but the t-molding ideas sounds like it might work AND look better. If anyone has trimmed thiers with t-mold and could post a picture I'm sure it would help to see the outcome.

If I read here enought all of my questions might just be answered! BTW I got my windows from a truck topper manufacturer in town. They are tilted but will work for what style of tear I am building. They had lots of sizes to choose from and they gave me a good price on them. Sliders and tinted.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques