Removing varnish

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Removing varnish

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 pm

:( Some of the varnish on my TD is cracked and peeling so I think it is time to completely remove the old stuff and start over. I have Baltic Birch plywood and really don't want it anymore messed up than it is so I would really appreciate some advice on what to use.......

Please and Thank you! :)

oh yeah, it has Hellsman spar and has a second coating of Minwax Clear Shield......
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Boodro » Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Ahhhh,,, Happy sanding Auntie M!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

If you sand it smooth & finish with a fine grit , you should be able to re varnish with no problems. Good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.s. Mine did the same but I had it outside & did not see it & water got under the varnish & turned black, what a PAIN@ :cry: :cry: :cry: Sanding it did no good it was into the sub layers . Thats why my TD is red now.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Awe, I love your red TD. That Clear Shield is proving very hard. I have some sun damage and some spots where small amounts of water got in. I am leaving it cause it just matches the rest of the thing......... 8) I am calling it a faux finish. :D
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 48Rob » Fri May 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Miriam,

Helmsman and Clear coat are both Spar Urethane Varnish, so should be compatable.
A light sanding, a good cleaning, and recoating will likely prevent any further damage.
As you've guessed, the areas discolored by water damage are very hard if not impossible to repair, as re staining is required, and it is near impossible to match the color.
Once recoated, keep a close eye on it, may need to sand and recoat every couple years, or more if weather/conditions warrant, to prevent moisture from getting behind the finish again.

It can be scary to take sandpaper to a nice finish, but it really will turn out okay.
220 grit is the roughest paper I would choose to use...
After sanding and wipe down with a clean cloth, further cleaning with mineral spirits, then a tack cloth before recoating will help give a very nice shine

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks Rob but I have varnish pealing around the edges of the scratched areas. When I try to get the loose edges off it peels up in sheets. I think I need to get to the wood this time.

I am pealing the parts that will peal now...... :?
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby afreegreek » Fri May 28, 2010 8:19 pm

one of the best things going for removing old finish..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 10&p=46266

you can pick up used ones at flea markets etc for about $10.00
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sat May 29, 2010 5:00 am

Auntie M

As Rob stated above. Fine sanding and in rough areas 220 grit is the roughest Id go as well.

You know that Ive used the Marine Urethane and Ive had to redo mine once. Light sanding is the key.. and good cleaning. And with patience. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Youve got some very nice birch there so sand lightly. ;)

It will turn out nice once again. Go gal. :)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby 48Rob » Sat May 29, 2010 5:17 am

Miriam,

If it is peeling off itself in large sheets, perhaps the two products were not compatible after all, or, there was a problem with adhesion due to some other issue?

If all the layers are peeling off the wood, with none remaining in the damaged areas, I'd be concerned that the stain, or other finish used on the wood was not compatible with the varnish...

If that is the case, a stripper and refinish may be the best option?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Classic Finn » Sat May 29, 2010 5:50 am

48Rob wrote:Miriam,

If it is peeling off itself in large sheets, perhaps the two products were not compatible after all, or, there was a problem with adhesion due to some other issue?

If all the layers are peeling off the wood, with none remaining in the damaged areas, I'd be concerned that the stain, or other finish used on the wood was not compatible with the varnish...

If that is the case, a stripper and refinish may be the best option?

Rob

Rob and Auntie M

I was just thinking about the same fact. Good point Rob. :thinking: :roll:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bobhenry » Sat May 29, 2010 6:58 am

Boodro wrote:Ahhhh,,, Happy sanding Auntie M!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

If you sand it smooth & finish with a fine grit , you should be able to re varnish with no problems. Good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.s. Mine did the same but I had it outside & did not see it & water got under the varnish & turned black, what a PAIN@ :cry: :cry: :cry: Sanding it did no good it was into the sub layers . Thats why my TD is red now.

AND why mine went from this....

to this.......

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat May 29, 2010 7:07 am

My new tow is a black metalflake dodge and I am
starting to think about the black bedliner spray and
while its wet hitting it with micro glitter with a sandblast
gun. The texture will hide the imperfections for another
season or to and offer better weather protection

I have also toyed with the idea of the rustoleum
stone finish it comes in several very natural stone
hues and would look fantastic with the smoked
bronze lexan.

Decisions Decisions........ :?

here is what I was up againstImage

and here is the new tow ...Image

The trailer pictures were in the spring of 09 by
late fall it was grinder time there was no sanding
to be done. I simply removed the fraying outer ply
in the bad areas and slopped on some latex enamel
exterior house paint I had laying around to slow
down the deterioration.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat May 29, 2010 7:49 am

Miriam,

How's the sanding going? My TD, now SandyD's TD has been getting it's "every two year" sanding and recoating of Helmsman Spar Urethane. I used 220 grit myself back when I did it, sanding more where the finish had checked and less where it was still pretty good. I had a little peeling where I didn't scuff up the surface enough between coatings. I think Sandy was planning on sanding out some of my runs from my last coating job. She is taking very good care of my "baby".
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate your replys.

Well here is my efforts for yesterday. As you can see it comes up in large sheets in some areas. I started using a box cutter blade to get the loose edges off and it started coming up. I never argue with success.

Yes Rob it is coming off the wood. I used Minwax from start to finish following their directions..... But it might have been the wood itself. Oddly it is the places where I can tell the sun is doing damage that peal the hardest.... I am thinking a stain remover when the varnish is up........

Almost half of one side done.

btw---we caulk the trim on our houses----why not our TD's?

Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 48Rob » Sat May 29, 2010 10:25 am

Miriam,

WOW!

That looks kike a major adhesion issue between the wood and varnish.

Sometimes the people at the mill can get carried away with the wax, or maybe something in the glue they used?
After cleaning/scraping off the finish, be sure to use solvent to clean the wood, to remove whatever is causing the problem.

btw---we caulk the trim on our houses----why not our TD's?

We do, or at least I do.
I use clear gutter sealer. It blends perfectly with the varnish, and helps to keep moisture out of places I don't want it.

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 29, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks Rob
I used mineral spirits on it before I stained it. Really it worked great until it got a scratch and I tried to sand it out...... :? :? :?

Any suggestion for which solvent????? :worship:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques