Super Simple Electrical System

Anything electric, AC or DC

Super Simple Electrical System

Postby caseydog » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 pm

A forum moderator requested that I post up how I made the super-simple electrical system for my minimalist teardrop. It's cheap. It's easy. It works.

You will need a Marinco 150BBI.RV RV On-Board Charger Inlet, available at Amazon.com for about twenty bucks. You also need a one-to-three short power cord, available from HD or Lowes, a hole saw for your power drill, some wire cutters/strippers, and a screw driver.

If you want, you can opt for a GFCI equipped short cord, like mine.

Drill the hole for your Marinco charger inlet.

Cut the three-prong end off of the power cord, and separate and strip the three conductors to attach to the charger inlet.

Slide the rubber cover from the charger inlet over the cord, and poke the wires through the hole in your wall from the inside to outside.

Attach the three conductors securely to the charger adapter. Slide the rubber cover up to cover the insides of the charger inlet and connections.

Insert the power inlet into the hole in your wall, and secure it with the three mounting screws that come with the inlet. A rubber gasket with a cap for the inlet comes with the inlet to keep it watertight.

You now have a super simple system that can handle 15 AMPS. I plug my Heater or AC into one outlet depending on the season. In my galley, I mounted a surge-protecting power strip. I plug that into another outlet. I have one open outlet for use as needed.

CD
Last edited by caseydog on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:35 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Fantastic CD. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Super Simple Electrical system

Postby yakcamper » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 am

That's great. Nice pics. Now does anyone have a super simple DC install pics. I'm getting ready to do the dc on my tear, with my neighbors help. I've looked at so many posts, my head is spinning. I think I will use something like what you have set up for the AC, because I won't be using AC much. I plan to have a deep cycle battery, converter etc. It's all the little parts and pieces that have my head spinning. I bought the 12 volt bible for boats. So I have a little help to straighten out this old brain. I thought I would use the 12-2 Romex from shore power to the battery. the 12 gauge for all the dc connections. Some of the information I have gotten from this wonderful site show using both 12 guage and 14 guage wire. If I understand correctly, if I use 12 gauge for all my inside dc connections, I can use circuit breakers to protect the wires and fixtures. Or......would it be easier to use the 14 gauge throughout, is there that much difference in the pliability of the wire?

Thanks for any input. Dazed and confused :?
yakcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:37 am

Minimalist for sure.

:thinking:

What's the fun in that? :lol:

Good concept for the electrically challenged, and a really lightweight, and safe way to get from point "A" to point "B". Thanks for sharing CD.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Uncle Chan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 am

We did something similar:

Works great! We run it through a breakered powerstrip.
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:05 am

Huh. I'd been wondering if someone made a heavy duty gfi power strip... but CD's rig is probably all I'd need.

Thanks!

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:00 am

Mine is a heavy duty strip, but not GFI, just surge. I have a tester I keep in the teardrop, not that I have used it yet honestly, I would at a mom and pop campground tho. My current "interim" set up is probably how I woulda planned it if I did it again.

I planned it for a fused AC->DC box with outlets, I have all the stuff but haven't gotten to it yet, all the DC wiring is done, just gotta install the box, battery and AC wiring to the outlets, just haven't seen the need yet. I love the look but since there was a workaround and you have to do things in order to get campable, this is how I ended up and I am very happy.

The Plan:

The reality:

The electrical room hidden:

The fusebox will go in here someday, for now a 6 plug strip powers my AC or Heater depending on the season, TV, DVD player, RCA jack converter dealie, with two left over for the fan, coffee maker or cell phone charger:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:26 am

Hum ?

On my barn build I went and purchased a heavy duty replacement male 120v plug and cut a section of 10 -3 SO cord, drilled a hole in the floor near the galley wall and shoved it thru and installed the male end on the cord. Tied the other end into my first electrical box and then daisy chained from it throughout the trailer.

In the pic you can just see the heavy black thumb size SO cord between the 2 studs coming up from the floor it is tied into the 1st receptical and feeds out from there forward around the trailer on the 12-3 yellow and up to overhead lighting on the 14-3 grey wire.

The little male plug just hangs under the trailer waiting to be plugged in to a heavy duty extention cord. Shivarees are kinda interesting the ice covered power inlet tends to smoke a bit and spit water and steam for a second or two when you first plug it in until it drys out. Maybe this year I should improve the system with a freezer bag over the dangling end until I arrive.

:thinking: Maybe a hairdryer plugged into the shore power and the feeding extention cord and dry it 1st. Well it is not without some inconveniences but it was cheap about $4.50 for the new male end 8)
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:02 am

Here is my 1st build and it is done the same way.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks caseydog for the great idea! I've done the same for my cargo trailer that I'm converting to a camper/motorcycle hauler.
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=777435#777435
:thumbsup:
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby Matap » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 pm

I assume the inlet is what plugs in to the RV campsites? Very very green to this whole thing and am going to start building my CT next month or so. I want to get the electrical down to the t and make sure I choose the right exterior connection.
Matap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Matap wrote:I assume the inlet is what plugs in to the RV campsites? Very very green to this whole thing and am going to start building my CT next month or so. I want to get the electrical down to the t and make sure I choose the right exterior connection.

:thumbsup: You got it! A good outdoor grounded drop cord will plug into the campsite and the TD. 14 to 12 gage will work. 12 gage is what I use most.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Toytaco2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm

CD, you dog!! How did you get inside my trailer to take that pic. It looks just like my 110 setup. I added a couple of power strips, one for the galley and one for the cabin. A simple, safe and effective system.

I also added 12volt DC and deep cycle battery for interior lighting and Fantastic Fan.

I wish I would have seen your pic before I figured it out on my own. It doesn't have to be complicated, it just needs to work.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Re: Super Simple Electrical system

Postby Dant » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm

yakcamper wrote:That's great. Nice pics. Now does anyone have a super simple DC install pics. I'm getting ready to do the dc on my tear, with my neighbors help. I've looked at so many posts, my head is spinning. ...

Thanks for any input. Dazed and confused :?

I wish someone had answered you. I have the same request, a simple DC system. Since I do not plan to stay at an RV park, I'm not installing any AC system.

All I need is a simple way to charge my house bank while driving, then disconnect when camping and use the house bank. I'll eventually put in solar panels to supplement, but I will only need power for low demand items like a fan, lights, recharging things like an electric tooth brush and tablet computer, ipods and the like.

My plan is to simply connect a fuse panel to the battery and wire in some 12 VDC cigarette lighter sockets. Prob'ly use a small inverter for things that are made for 120 VAC, but have minimal draw.

Speaking of which, my favorite reading light is an LED array that plugs into 120 VAC. I removed the converter and it seems to work fine on 12 VDC.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done that and what are the pros and cons; that is, converting a 120 VAC device to 12 VDC simply by removing the built in converter.
Dant
Teardrop Advisor

super simple

Postby nrody » Tue May 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Do I need a converter / inverter with the super simple electrical sytem to run my fan and 12v lights?
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets