Tongue Box

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tongue Box

Postby jim7310 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:43 pm

I would like to incorporate a decent, weatherproof tongue box into my TD design. Something similar to the Tiny Camper design (http://www.tinycamper.com). This would be additional storage for light bulky items.

I would love to see what others have constructed and what advice you might provide.

Jim
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TonyCooper » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:47 pm

I'm am just starting the process of designing & building mine now. I plan on having a box that looks similar to the CampInn style that you referenced. I plan to have a hinge at the top where it meets the teardrop outer wall. I may even use the teardrop outer wall as the back wall of the box fully integrating it into the trailer. I am toying with several design issues right now. I have already picked up the stainless steel piano hinge and front latches.

One of the last design issues I need to settle is whether to go with a rectangle box like CampInn or to taper the box to the trailer tongue. Rectangle design is roomier, but limits the turn radius of the trailer.

Decisions... decisions....
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby madjack » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:27 pm

Jim, click on my WWW button and look at "glue and screw" to see how we did a Camp_Inn style box.................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Bandit » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm

This is my first post, but I have been esdropping for some time. The idea that I have for a front box is to integrate it into the front wall. Construct it from plywood and inner lap the aluminum skin with the front aluminum sheeting. I will have a longer tongue to accommodate the box and still maintain my turning radius. One of the design features of my box will be to split the box. The lower compartment will be accessible from the sleeping compartment then the access will be through a hinged lid. I want to try to maintain some of the contour of the TD in the lid of the box.
I can store bulky linen, pillows or clothing on the inside and store things like folding chairs, battery, etc. from the outside.

This forum has been great in gaining ideas and creating some of my own.
I have been reading the forum starting from the oldest to the latest. So it is taking me awhile to catch up to what you guys are currently discussing.
But, in time I should be current and then I will really start asking questions.

:thumbsup:
McMinnville, TN
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:12 pm

Bandit...welcome to the open air :thumbsup: we are glad to know you used your time "lurking" constructively. The more you know the easier it is to help you with your questions...The method you descibe for the front box is how we built ours...it works really good.
So we are here when ya need us and be sure and take those pics, 'cause Wright would be heartbroken without 'em...we really do luv de pics :D :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mexican tear » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:17 pm

Jim7310
Here is a pix of my tounge box. I bought it at one of the "big box" stores.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby randy chesnutt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:29 pm

jim, if you go to my photo album page 5 and 6 you will see how i did mine. that makes it easer thantrying to explan it
Last edited by randy chesnutt on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:54 pm

This is what mine looks like.
Basically a plywood box covered with aluminum that will hold an awning, chairs, door carpet, jackstands, extention cord, wheel chocks, and water hose.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TonyCooper » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:06 pm

Steve,

Your box looks great!

I am patterning mine alot after yours. Did you place your hinge at the very back of the top or out some from the wall?

Any issues with turning?

About a year ago I purchased a Northern Tool box like Kai's for 199.00 on the stipulation that I had no deadline for a return in case I didn't like the box for any reason. I actually got the agreement in writing from the store mgr. It simply had to still be in the original box. Once I had my tear in the dry I placed the box on the tongue and didn't like the asthetics too much. So I am going to send it back once I complete my custom box. My only real concern is that I won't be able to make my box as light as the store bought one.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:26 pm

I used a Delta Hopper that I salvaged out of my jeep.

It makes a good place to put the season salt. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:05 am

Tony,

Thanks, and yes, the hinge is at the back. If you look real close at the picture you will see a couple of "bumps" on the top of the box at the edges. Those are dabs of silicone and act as bumpers so the top will not hit the trailer when opened.

I built my frame knowing I would install a tongue box, so the tongue was made 46" long, the box is 12" deep, and that leaves 39" from the hitch ball to the corner of the box which is adequate for turning with no interferance.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ira » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:16 am

Enlighten me:

What is the issue with turning radius? If I'm towing with a truck, does this matter much to me? My box is huge.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 am

Ira it has to do with "jacknifing" that is when you back the trailer up and get a 90% angle in relationship to the tow vehicle...the idea is to be able to get to that angle without hitting the "camper" portion of the unit with the tow vehicle...normally you would want your (clear)tongue length to be equal to half the distance of tow vehicle width plus a little...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Bandit » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 am

The length of the tongue is directly related to your turning radius, unless you are making a gooseneck TD? If the tongue is too short or you have a large obstruction mounted on your too short tongue, when you turn sharply, as in backing into a tight sight, the corner of your truck bed will hit the outside corners of your box or even your teardrop and make large dents. This, in truckers terms is called jack-knifing your trailer.
I hope I explained that well enough.

:thinking:

Cheers!
McMinnville, TN
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby jim7310 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:43 am

Randy,

I like the design of your box - it blends very well with the lines of your trailer. Did you use side-access doors to avoid leaks from a top-side hinge? Also, is the diamond plate on the front of the box and trailer to reduce damage from road debris?

Jim
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques