If you were to build it all over again ...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

If you were to build it all over again, what's your main reason for rebuilding?

I really wanted better quality
14%
I really wanted it longer
8%
I really wanted it taller
4%
I really wanted it wider
21%
I really wanted it lighter
17%
I really wanted a woodie
3%
I really wanted a vintage looking aluminum one
3%
I really wanted a more modern looking one
0%
I really just want to purchase a factory model
3%
Other, I'll add my note below!
26%

Total votes : 205

Postby TinKicker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:36 am

Russ, I'm still planning mine too (almost a year now). Been busy getting a 16-year-old into her own wheels. :cry:
Maybe 2009... :thumbsup:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby Russ in California » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:42 am

TinKicker wrote:Russ, I'm still planning mine too (almost a year now). Been busy getting a 16-year-old into her own wheels. :cry:
Maybe 2009... :thumbsup:

Aye, my 17 yr old has now been on the 'war path' to get his license. Some how the TD frame got put back on the back burner. If only...
Soon... :lol:

8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 am

There was no choice (albeit a rare one) I didn't want it wider, I wanted it skinner! Exactly 2 1/2 inches skinner! Not a big deal once it is done though!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Muggnz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:44 am

I wanted to answer twice.

But ended up only voting once, for longer. I'd also like it lighter. I don't need wider, with it capable of taking a dubble bead.
Muggnz
Crybaby

Postby nevadatear » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 am

So far, only two changes. 1) tongue longer. Made too short for a tongue box. 2) Larger windows, more like on the little guy. Too dark inside in the day time, although opening the fan helps.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:37 am

We bought the first Mega-Mini at the beginning of the summer and we were asked for feed back. The subsequent models demonstrate the result of our feed back, that includes two doors and a single galley hatch, among others.
We also decided that there were a few changes we would have liked.
It is not all that often that you get a do over in life, but the guys at Eyes 4 Design are giving us the chance. We will be trading #1 for #6 and it will include our suggestions and a number of additional items (yes they do customize).
Additional drawers in the galley, pull out spray faucet, external shower, 6 gallon gas or electric water heater, (our present 4Gal gas only, uses quite a bit of propane to heat water, and as long as you are on shore power…). 4” deck plate ports for the external 5000btu air conditioner, internal Johnson Control thermostat which will also control a heater. Marine brass LED lights, AGP battery in the rear, connection and controller for the solar panel, awning rail on three sides to accommodate the Kelty car tarps.
The build will start shortly and Eric has promised build photos which I will post.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bve » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:26 pm

I won't vote, because I haven't built yet.

HOWEVER.... The one thing I would change is just going for it once I found the Generic Benroy plans, instead of watching everyone else build for the last 2-3 years learning what THEY would change.

I started out looking for plans for a small travel trailer - I didn't even know what a teardrop was until I started looking. My intent was to find plans and build right away using as much recycled material as possible. Well obviously that didn't happen - instead I got caught up thinking about what I want - and still have nothing built. Had I just gone for it - I'd have a few years of ideas down for the unavoidable teardrop #2.

What I can say though over the past two years I have gone from wanting a Grasshopper design to a Benroy to a Grasshopper to a Benroy to a Grasshopper to a Benroy to a Grasshopper.... but I do KNOW for certain after seeing CaseyDog's CaseyKraft 2 I really do only want very minimal cabinetry - that just seems far too functional to not be good.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Do Over

Postby john curtis » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:16 am

I voted other.The next time if I build again I would have the doors costom built.Reason being-#1 time factor #2 cost #3 finding matierals.
But the biggest reason is cost the factory doors are about the same price or abit more.I will find out what I will do different next time in the do's and dont's department when I'am completed the building and start using my TD next summer.
John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 pm

I'm in a peculiar spot...didn't quite "build "it, but restored it and customized it. Opened it up fer car show purposes with all my "themes'
The next one will have a galley fo sho ! I'm still torn between a woodie or an aluminum skin...Tho I rebuilt it the way "I" wanted it...don't we always want sumthin different ??
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Now I'm in a peculiar spot...I didn't actually "build" mine. I did RE build it and customize it.
Because I use my TD for car shows as well as campin, I opened it up and took out the galley area.
My next one will have a galley fo sho !
And...I'm torn between a woodie and an aluminum skin...maybe I'll jus put alum. on the roof and wood everywhere else !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

I know there's another build.

Postby FlyerSkip » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:52 am

We waited this long to build cuz we wanted to "do it right"....but.... time's awastin'. So here's the plan ...just build one stupid... If I wait till the time is right, the moneys there and I have it all planed down to the last screw and nut it will never happen. So we are building now. :D This trailer is very simple. The thought is to build this one and get camping agian. :thinking: Then decide what we want in the next one and take our time with it, do all the extra little things that make it slick. But by having done this one we will have a much better idea of what it is we want to have and not spend a lot of time and money on what doesn't work for us. This trailer is a test bed for the one to come. And in the mean time we get to camp. 8) :twisted:
A one legged duck swims in a circle.
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:31 am

If I were to do it again, I think it would be aluminum. All aluminum. So even if it gets wet, there isn't any wood to delaminate...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Rlowell » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

What a neat thread! Thanks for all the great ideas!
I am also on my first build using Mike's "Weekender" design as it should go well with my Aztek. We'll call it the "Ketza" :roll: :roll:
I just about have the walls ready to mount to the floor; hopefully this week.
I think that I am probably over building and should lighten up on the next one...we need the 5 x 10 size to sleep three. I have made several mistakes and it does take time to "fix" them. Hope to be ready for the fall camping season as we started in Feb. of this year.
Thanks again for all the great ideas throughout this forum.
Rod 8)
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

If I had the :money: I would buy a factory TTT.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Whenever I can start another build (probably not for at least another year) I plan on going wider, and doing sandwich wall construction instead of heavy 3/4" ply - will allow for some insulation, possibly lose some weight, and wires will be easier to conceal. It'll definitely be another convertible though! :)
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls