Bob Henry's 4x7

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:59 am

Well here I go again. I seem to have trouble finishing anything but have no problem at all starting another trailer.

The Chuck wagon has a little sister taking shape. Monday was a voulnteer day at work and a few of the guys wanted the hours so I unlocked the shop for them and did a little personal work.

Found a rather badly cupped 2x12 that was beautifully grained and knot free in the cull pile of "junk" lumber. I took this 14' er and cut two 3 inch wide boards from each side. I cut them into a 4' 3" and two 8 footers. I cut a rabbet 3/4 x 3/4 out of one edge. These 3 boards will surround a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood that will become the floor of my little 4x7'6" sleeper trailer.

All the remaining material was cut into 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 spars. a little over 4 foot long.

Not officially working and the shop off and running when the boss came in I took my newly cut toys and headed home leaving him at the helm.

Arriving home I fitted the 3 rabbetted pieces aroung the 4x8 sheet and glued and screwed the frame around the floor for extra strength. I miter cut the adgoining edges for a neater look. I had 2 4x8 sheets of zip wall , a fiberglass faced 7 /16 osb, to cut the sides from .This is neat stuff. I made a 2 foot and 4 foot compass out of a long piece of flat trim. I marked a center at 2 foot down the 4 foot direction and 2 foot back the 8 foot way this was the center point for my 2 foot radius and marked from 12 o clock to 3 oclock I measured back 2 more feet and placed a center at 2 foot down and 4 foot back (the exact center of the 4x8 sheet)for the center of the 4 foot radius from 3 o clock to the bottom edge of the sheet.
I tried several methods to rig up a 11 foot radius from tail to the 12 oclock mark (2' back on the very top edge. Nothing was working. I finally found a slender piece of trim that would bend from the tail edge to the top point and bent it into place. I had ol what's her name pencil in the line for me as I had my hands full trying to keep the trim bent properly and in place.
Profile now scribed on the sheet I placed the other sheet underneth and screwed them together in the scrap areas to keep the edges aligned. I started the slow process of jig sawing out the profile. During the cut the saw became all but impossible to keep on the line. I knew what was wrong and immediatly installed another new blade and the problem was gone. With the sides cut out I had my buddy Jim to help me support the walls while I glued and screwed them to the 2x4 floor halo. I used the scrap from the 2 foot radii cuts to square and stabilize the walls and after taking cafeful measurements and doing a bit of math I cut a couple temporary spars to support the walls. I cut down some 6" foam to fit the floor and had my neighbor Tom help me remove the saw horses and place the shell on the ground. At about 11:30 last night ol what's her name and I test fit 2 old fat people in a 4' by 7'6" teardrop to see if we can sleep in there comfortably. It passed the test ! So ends the 1st
5 hours of the build.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:26 am

Here is a very old thread where Andrew and I discussed using the compass method to lay out a teardrop profile.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=180832&highlight=#180832
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Stayed after work about 45 minutes and cut the rabbets for the spars.

I always cut a 1 1/2 wide by 3/4" deep notch in the side and set the 3/4 deep by 1 1/2 wide rabbet in the side panel. There is no twisting and there is a bit more glue surface.

Arrived home and hot as hell so I had dinner and cooled down. About an hour before sun went down I went outside and cut the notches in the side panels and glued and screwed in the spars. It took about 2 hours because my new neighbor wandered over and was playing 20 questions and HAD to see the Barn and Chubby. So a 10 minute tour and a 45 minute Q & A session and I got 8 of the 11 spars in before it got too dark to work safely. Total actual working time 45 minutes to an hour plus the 45 minutes at work. Work time to date 6 1/2 hours.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:52 pm

:) :thinking: :NC :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 am

OK ! OK ! I'll drag out the camera tonight !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Miriam C.

:) :thinking: :NC :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

YES. This thread is useless without pics. :lol:

Except, of course, for your description of the salvage of that nicely-grained 14' stick!

:thumbsup:

Excuse me; I should go work on my IRG wagon... :oops:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Nathan N » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Miriam C. wrote::) :thinking: :NC :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

:thumbsup:

:lol:
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:36 am

What a demanding bunch :shock:

And ol' what's her name had the camera with her and got home late. :(

I sorry ! :roll:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 am

OK ! Up at 5:00 and snapping pics at 5:45 am.

Here are a few.

This is only about 6+ hours into the project so progress is a little limited but it is starting to look like a teardrop.

Profile pic looks a bit funny because it is not setting level but it was do to rain today so I lifted the front so the water would shed off. Used the fence post treat on the 3/4 floor on all sides

I let the rear run long and decided to radius cut the rear.
What do ya think ?

Here is an end shot of the rabbet I was describing in an earlier post

Obviously a shot of the spars.

Here is how they attach. A lot of glue and one 3" construction screw angled up into the spar so it will travel cross grain. They run a fuzz long and will be sanded flush with the side later on.

Here is a closeup of the spar rabbets. They are supposed to be 3/4" deep this one looks a bit deeper.

Here is the little 4x7 I purchased abandoned and ignored in a back yard. I just walked up and knocked and $60.00 later I hooked it up and took it home.

It has an all aluminum bed and weighs 195 pounds total.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:09 am

:lol: :thumbsup: ;) Looking good so far! The lil trailer looks like in need some love! I sure hope that is not a 2"x4" I see... 8) Keep up the good work and let us know how the panels work; especially if they give off fumes. :thinking:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 am

No that is not a 2x4 in the frame pic. It is a 2" x 2" fold of
heavy wall aluminum rivited to the aluminum pan floor as
reinforcing ribs. Why they chose to use the mild steel clip
on the end I don't know.

You were right about it needing a little lovin'

all new bearings and seals had to be installed and the
dust caps were missing and needed to be replaced,
Tires are "tired" and will also be replaced soon
Last edited by bobhenry on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nathan N » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Looking good Bob :thumbsup:
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Billy K » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:58 pm

slow down a bit ,Bob....I think I saw a splinter up there.... :shock: :D
"...influence is no government." - George Washington
Billy K
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:55 am

I'll get it with the sander when I sand down the spars.

At this rate I should be able to drag it over to your place
for approval very soon ! :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Billy K » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Sounds good....approval from a 'yet to build'... :shock: oh wait you mean the cook's approval... :thumbsup:
By the way,I like the extra recurve on the tail.
"...influence is no government." - George Washington
Billy K
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals