My AC solution

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

My AC solution

Postby deceiver » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I've got a Little Guy 6 Wide Sport. I've been looking at posts here regarding installation of air conditioning and after much pondering this is my solution. It's a swing arm that I welded up the other day and it holds the AC next to the open window in the door. BTW, the foam is easily available at lowes. They sell it as AC gasket for when you put your window up to install an AC unit so you can fill the gap at the top of the window.. about $4.

Here is a video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fZRhSoSRCU

and some pictures

Swinging arm

Gasket Glued on with contact cement

And the AC in place
Last edited by deceiver on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Way cool.................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Now all you need is a bungee cord, and a couple hooks in the side of your teardrop.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby kirkman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Brilliant simply brilliant! :applause:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deceiver » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 pm

mikeschn wrote:Now all you need is a bungee cord, and a couple hooks in the side of your teardrop.

Mike...

Well, another pin holds the arm from swinging out when it's in the stored position and the trailer is in motion. And I'm going to put a flat ribbon on the arm so that I can close the door on it and pull the arm closer from the inside. Although, the gasket seems to stay pressed up to the door by itself as the mass of the AC seems to stop it from swinging back easily.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby Ratkity » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Wow! Great idea! That arm really is enough to support the AC unit? It looks so thin. I wonder if that would work for my RT TD. I'd need one of those odd shaped ACs.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby revbigjohn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:54 pm

I've been looking at different ways to use AC in my 6 Wide Sport, and I think this is the solution.
John

revbigjohn
Teardrop Inspector

Cool Cooling

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Good idea would work on a stationary window also. Those units are not that heavy as long as it is locked down during transit and does not hinder an emergency exit should be great. :o Bill
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 pm

:thumbsup: Great idea! Now if you could make it swing back and carry the air back for you it would be even better. 8) ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rmclarke » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

That is what I love about this forum! From this vast pool of knowledge comes such intriguing and innovative ideas! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Bravo.

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby Mightydog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 pm

So, who sleeps in front of the AC unit or do you turn it off at night?
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deceiver » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 am

Mightydog wrote:So, who sleeps in front of the AC unit or do you turn it off at night?

Well, the vents are pretty adjustable so they point up and to the foot of the bed pretty good. I'm gong to fire it up and see how cool the inside can get and if I find that it's to much on my back I'l make a small scoop I can hang on the inside. The exit for the air is in a thin set of slots at the top of the AC anyway so I'm thinking that this thing, in such a small area, should be able to run on low fan speed much of the time. Of course I'm from Maine. Maybe I'm being naive and when i get to NM the thing will have to crank on full all the time?

I'm more concerned about getting electricity at/near the state/federal parks which is where we like to stay if possible.

Also, the arm has no give or bend to it. It's galvanized metal pipe from Lowes. The weld joints are permanent and the little Fridgidair 5000 btu AC unit isn't that heavy. I'm going to put a strap handle across the top so I can more easily move it to and from the storage bin. BTW if anyone is interested. I looked at a few small AC units. This one is pretty solidly made compared to some other brands. I'm pretty impressed considering the under a $100 price.

To answer a couple of other questions:

I have a flat piece of fabric connected to the swing arm. it pulls in under the door so that when I'm closing the door I can pull the arm close and get a good seal.

Also, Little guy trailers have two doors so there is an exit if need be. And the AC exit opens and the arm swings away as the door opens. So no danger there.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby azmotoman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 am

NICE!!!!!!! Wifey says we aren't gonna' do AC right away, but I have a feeling . . .
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Postby deceiver » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 am

azmotoman wrote:NICE!!!!!!! Wifey says we aren't gonna' do AC right away, but I have a feeling . . .

Well, in Aug/sept. the wife and I will be doing a xcountry loop starting in Maine hitting many of the 7 wonders of the US.. mostly in state and federal parks. The loop will be literally a loop, Maine to Seattle, down the coast to Arizona (relative) then up to the canyons and across to NC (daughter) then back to Maine. So, even tough AC is needed maybe 3 days to 2 weeks a year where I live I've visited NM and AZ... you guys are HOT there! I prefer a balmy 55 degrees, then I break out the shorts and T-shirt. The southern states to me is like putting a penguin in the tropics. And I don't know what's going on here but Ice is out a month earlier, Spring starts a month sooner than it did 10 yrs ago, and we often don't have snow for Christmas.. unheard of a decade ago. Global warming? sunspots? I dunno but it may be time to move north. This is getting painful.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 am

I did a neich that covered the entire window. My windows were removable so both panes and screen were removed and the neich was installed. Here it is in the heat mode but I built one for the a/c unit as well.
Mine took a few minutes to set up ,your idea is a most more user friendly answer!

We are looking at an August 1st gathering an probably 90 degree temps so a few weeks ago I threw this together for the barn.

There is no wrong way to be KOOL :fan:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to General Discussion