Antenna

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Antenna

Postby 48Rob » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:40 pm

Hi all,

If you're offended by the thought of watching TV while camping...you might want to skip this post...

I've never had much luck getting a (decent) signal while camping.
Seems most campgrounds where I go are in the river bottoms, or otherwise blocked from receiving the signal.
We've tried various antenna setups, but have not found anything very effective.

This time, we opted for a DVD player, works great!
However, I'd sure like to be able to pick up a local station.

While building the latest trailer, a brilliant (I think) idea came to me :wacky

Since I was building the roof in layers, I installed a large, and a small loop between the two sheets of plywood.
The leads come inside, and are hooked to a coax tee.
The tee also accepts a coax cable that terminates outside the trailer, so that an exterior antenna, or cable TV (when available) can be easily attached without running cords through the window, etc.
I found a really neat little cap that protects the end of the cable connection at Lowes.

Don't know how well this "internal" antenna will work, but it picks up two stations inside my garage, if I'm really lucky, It will prove to be a good idea...if not, it'll make a great lightning rod!

This picture shows the exterior mounted cable hookup, with the protective cap.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Rob, I think you'll find a lot of teardrop owners/builders have TV/DVD setups in their tears. Can't think of anyone who would be offended. I think your idea is a good one. Be sure and let us know how well it works.

By the way, think you need to put that beautiful Cabin Car Tear of yours in the Hall of Fame.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Arne » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:13 pm

I use a a-b switch... one input from outside, the other from the tv antenna,, the output to the tv.. so I can switch from one to the other.... I also tape a lot of shows at home, and bring a bunch of tapes along.. Last time, I was gone for week, never looked at one tape....... but they are easy to tape at home and carry along if I have a boring night...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:23 pm

Here you go Rob. Lotsa $$$$ but wouldn't have to worry about reception. :lol:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YADeOjwNzW ... &I=700TVA5
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Hey, FREE SHIPPING..!
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby dacrazyrn » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:16 am

Something along these lines. I have myself a nice, new AM/FM/WC/SW/Air/TV crank, solar, rechargeable, battery operated Kaito KA009 Here that I was thinking on how to extend the range. So I figured I could run a line out of the tear and connected to the bare aluminum, so that the whole trailer is an antenna. That work, ya think?
Otherwise I will hookup an antenna for the TV/radio and coax and mount it on the exterior.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:05 am

Tracy,

Sure seems like it should work...but it didn't for me :(

We tried running wires up in the trees, and a number of other methods, but the best reception was gained from an amplified antenna (rabbit ear style) that we set on the roof.
Got it at Wal mart I think, cost about $30-$40, only problem is you have to plug it in.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:13 am

Gosh Steve,

Thats a bargain!! :D

Only $2,229.99

My son has tried to talk me into buying a satelite system for home use, that will also work on the road...
Not a bad idea I suppose, but we currently have cable internet through our cable tv provider, something I'm in no hurry to give up!

Now if a person could pay a one time fee, like the one above, and never pay a penny more for monthly service, it really would be a bargain, especially if it came with internet service.

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:19 am

About that built in antenna...

My fingers were typing faster than my brain was working :oops:

I said it consisted of two loops (oops)

There is one big loop, that runs from the front to the back, and is both vertical, and horizontal.

The other one is in an "U" pattern, like a set of rabbit ears, and of course they are isolated from each other.

May not make it work any better, but don't want to give out bad info...

The system can be seen (somewhat) in this picture.
It is a small copper wire covered by foil tape.

Rob

The outer one (loop) is for UHF.
The inner one is for VHF.
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Laredo » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:04 pm

That looks like the ideal setup for a crystal radio.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:45 pm

Where I live, the reception and local stations are so bad, you're literally FORCED to buy cable or satellite. And where I'll be TDing, I know it won't be any different. So it's DVD and wireless internet (if available) all the way,
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby 48Rob » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:24 pm

Wireless internet...Hmmm...

A place I camped at last year offered that for free, but I just plain forgot to bring my computer, and monitor, and keyboard along...

Now that I have a monitor/tv combination, what do I need to make use of it, and about what should the cost be?

I don't have a laptop, and unless one falls in my lap :lol: :( I probably won't be getting one any time soon...

I read awhile back about some sort of box that lets you "see" the internet on your tv?

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:30 pm

I just bought a laptop for myself as a Christmas present. I had $100 in Best Buy gift Certificates that were going to expire so I had to buy one there. I only need a basic laptop, to browse and read e-mail. My only 2 requirements were 15in screen or greater and integrated Wi-Fi.

I found a Gateway for $729 with $200 instant rebate, and $100 in gift certificates, I got it for $429! It's not the fastest thing but I was pleasantly suprised how upgradable it is, replaceable/upgradable memory, processor, and hard drive. I've had it for 2 weeks now and so far so good. I'm happy with it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:37 pm

Rob...

That was/is called WebTV and I'm not sure if it still available but the way it works (I think) is as a dial-up system so you would need a phone line. If you have a compatible cellphone you can use it to dial into AOL, MSN or the like and connect it to the WebTV keyboard and "watch" it on your TV set in the cabin. Assuming you can get a cellphone signal where you are camped.
For me it's a CD or three during the day, a DVD or VHS at night, and a radio for news & weather when I want it.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Boodro » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:01 pm

Want a small foot print pc? Check out this site! If ya allready have a monitor this could work.

http://www.cybernetman.com/
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques