Teardropping in Ontario

Camping in Ontario & Quebec and the Central Canadian Chapter of TearJerkers

Postby jawbone » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Hey Ash - Welcome - I started with an old pop up tent trailer and went from there. Just keep checking around the neighbourhood - you can usually get them free.
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby ashkanr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 am

jawbone wrote:Hey Ash - Welcome - I started with an old pop up tent trailer and went from there. Just keep checking around the neighbourhood - you can usually get them free.

Thank you!

I went over the local classifieds and noticed few of those of about 200-250$ which is good for me (compared to the brand new galvanized trailers in hardware stores).
But I do not have any idea of their weight. Do you have any rough estimate of an emptied pop up trailer? (either an 8' or 10')
I though since they are old stuff, they must be very stiff made by heavy steel weighing more than 500lb even empty. Am I right? Please correct me!

Thanks alot!
Ashkan
Link to: My Album
ashkanr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jawbone » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm not sure what the weight is. I know when I stripped it down to just the frame I could lift up one side and flip it over. I have estimated my finished Tear (4 x 8) at about 800 lbs with a tongue weight of about 115.
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby ashkanr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:33 am

jawbone wrote:I'm not sure what the weight is. I know when I stripped it down to just the frame I could lift up one side and flip it over. I have estimated my finished Tear (4 x 8) at about 800 lbs with a tongue weight of about 115.

Looks great! I should go and search to find a small old pop up one now!
Ashkan
ashkanr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jawbone » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:11 pm

That was supposed to read (4 x 8) Those emoticons must have a mind of their own!!
The biggest problem with an old pop up is tearing it apart and getting rid of the waste stuff - but I found a lot of hardware etc. that I could reuse - so that was a bonus.

geez - it did it again - I guess an eight and a bracket adds up to a cool emoticon - who knew!!!
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby ashkanr » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:34 am

jawbone wrote:That was supposed to read (4 x 8) Those emoticons must have a mind of their own!!
The biggest problem with an old pop up is tearing it apart and getting rid of the waste stuff - but I found a lot of hardware etc. that I could reuse - so that was a bonus.

geez - it did it again - I guess an eight and a bracket adds up to a cool emoticon - who knew!!!

I like it 8) 4x8) 4 x 8 ) :D:D

Got this for 40$ :)

it's 9.5x6.5 and weighs about 430lb (including the wooden floor).

Thanks again for your hint!

Now,I'm reading different posts about designs and light weight structures and.............I should come up with an extremely easy plan and very few stuff to make sure I can build it-THIS IS GOING TO BE MY FIRST WOOD PROJECT!
even the WEEKENDER look complicated to me :(
Ashkan
ashkanr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jawbone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Hey ash - good score - that looks close to what I started with (well, plus the complete trailer pop up, tent etc.) I stripped mine down to the bare frame and then cut more of the metal off of that. I went 4 x 8 so everything is inside the wheels. Just keep checking in the contruction section of the forum - lots of smart guys and gals will talk you thru it. Start with your plans and do lots of thinkin' - that's what hurt me the most!!! All that thinkin'
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby ashkanr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:04 am

jawbone wrote:Hey ash - good score - that looks close to what I started with (well, plus the complete trailer pop up, tent etc.) I stripped mine down to the bare frame and then cut more of the metal off of that. I went 4 x 8 so everything is inside the wheels. Just keep checking in the contruction section of the forum - lots of smart guys and gals will talk you thru it. Start with your plans and do lots of thinkin' - that's what hurt me the most!!! All that thinkin'

:) Thanks!

I'm playing with my sketch in Solidwoks cad program to reduce the weight, while keeping the structure stiff enough....I'll post pictures when I come up with something!

I totally agree! It's hurting me so baaad!
Ashkan
ashkanr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby del690 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey Dave
Another St.Thomas builder here. Where do you camp in Niagara Falls if you don't mind me asking? We have had good luck with King Waldolf's (Marineland) campground, believe it or not.
p.s
Right now I'm just a wannabe TD builder but I hope to change that real soon.
del690
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Ontario & Quebec, Canada