Is This One Any Good?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Is This One Any Good?

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:20 pm

In our second tear, we are going to have 110v and 12v. There will be two 12v lights and two 110v lights in the cabin and one 12v light only in the galley area.
I am wanting to install a converter. Saw this one on ebay. Since I know nothing about these things....is this one any good? CONVERTER

Thanks for your help,
Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Ross,

That's the converter that came with our Tab... I hate it... It doesn't charge the battery... it's supposed to... so something is obviously amiss...

I would definitely look for something a little bit more robust...

At first blush a 12v power supply along with a separate battery charger comes to mind... but maybe there's other ideas here... How about it you electrical guys?

Mike...

P.S. Here's the pic of our power supply in the lil diner...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:46 pm

After MUCH discussion on another thread, I gave up on the cheaper conveters and decided on this converter with multi-stage charging . The guys who know the electrical forward and backwards, agreed that this one does a good job of charging and you can keep power to it all the time at home as a float charger after the battery is up to peak charge. At $123, it is still a lot cheaper than most converters I've looked at, and standard UPS shipping is free. It's only 25 amps, but that is more than most TDs or TTTs will need. This page has more descriptive information.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:55 pm

Mike and Dale, thanks for your quick responses.
After remembering about a few leftover parts from our travel trailer we sold, I have a 40amp converter. It's never been used. This should work alright, shouldn't it? INTELI POWER 9100 :thinking:
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:57 pm

here is another option Deltran 6A charger/power supply ...this unit is a multi stage charger that is also rated as a 6A powersupply...there have been several threads on this subject lately in the Electrical Secrets forum
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Ross Wade wrote:Mike and Dale, thanks for your quick responses.
After remembering about a few leftover parts from our travel trailer we sold, I have a 40amp converter. It's never been used. This should work alright, shouldn't it? INTELI POWER 9100 :thinking:

that'n will work just fine................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:22 pm

Ross, I looied at the thread for your converter. I'd think the charge wizard would ba a good idea.

madjack wrote:here is another option Deltran 6A charger/power supply ...this unit is a multi stage charger that is also rated as a 6A powersupply...there have been several threads on this subject lately in the Electrical Secrets forum
madjack 8)

Jack, this one is just a charger isn't it? But, it would keep the battery up while the 12V devices are being used...that would be the same as having a converter. I may to this route instead of the converter I posted above. It should serve the same purpose.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:45 pm

Dale, according to the tech manual it is rated as a 6A12vdc70watt switching POWER CONVERTOR which puts out clean DCv...anything over 6A would be pulled from the battery and the unit is meant to be hardwired into the system for permanent hook up...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Hi Dale

further to Jacks comments 13.6 Volt output is NOT a charger its a power supply that will put a bit back into the battery, dont ever expect fully charged though maybe 90% after 3 to 4 weeks (as long as you are not using any power)
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:34 pm

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful :applause: :thumbsup:

Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby dacrazyrn » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:27 pm

Not too sure on that 90% George. From this...
Deltran Power Tender Plus Waterproof 12V 6A
Microprocessor Circuitry, correctly charges any type of lead acid, sealed maintenance free or AGM battery.
Charges any size (capacity) lead acid battery
Included is a quick connect lug harness hard to reach areas
Charge/Maintain up to 4 batteries (of similar type - in parrallel)
Reverse Polarity Protection
Temperature Compensation (Available on some models)
Complete 4-step charging program (Qualification, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode)
Input Power: 115VAC @ 60Hz
Temperature Range: -20F to 120F
6' fused output cable
I would think the Deltrans would completely charge it. Or am I missing something?
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:00 am

This is a question, not an answer. I use a deep cycle 12v battery and a battery tender to keep it charged all year (whenever I have 115v available, whether home or on the road).

http://store.azmusa.com/56-1129-az.html

Does anyone have a clue if these can be hard wired to the battery, meaning will they discarge the battery while I'm traveling if left connected to the battery?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:38 am

...according to what I could find at batterytender.com the answer is yes you can and no they will not discharge the battery....they are designed to be hardwired in place and left
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:58 am

The WFCO I was planning on buying has a boost charge of 14.4V. The Deltran doesn’t state the voltages, but since it is a 4-stage charger, I’d think it should match the voltages of the WFCO. The Deltran doesn’t have the converter features of the WFCO, so it is cheaper. The WFCO has built-in spaces for two 110V breakers. With the Deltran, I’d need a separate 110V breaker box. With either, I’d still need a main breaker shut-off. The WFCO is a 25 amp converter, and the Deltran puts out only 6 amps. But, I don’t think I’d use more than 6 amps at any time, unless I bought some 12V appliances, and they would be used for a very short time. A 6 amp charger would keep my batteries supplied very well.

Bottom line Feature/Benefit comparisons:

WFCO 3-stage converter:

Advantages: 25 amp output. All in one unit--Built-in AC breakers and 12v fuse panel (simpler installation?)

Disadvantages: Higher cost - $123, free shipping.

Deltran Power Tender Plus:

Advantages: Cheaper – $81.72 with shipping. (BUT, would having to buy separate 110v breaker box and 12v fuse panel offset cheaper price???)

Disadvantages: Would need separate 110v breaker box and breakers, and separate 12v fuse panel. Only outputs 6amps. More elaborate installation (charger, 110v breakers, 12v fuse panel).

Based on the above comparison of features/benefits, I’m not sure that the Deltran would be the better buy. The WFCO has more advantages and fewer disadvantages.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:14 am

...I see nothing at all wrong with the WFCO...especially used from the get go....the Deltran unit would be a great retro-fit to a more standard wiring system(non power convertor/power handling system)...like the commercial used to say"...you can pay me now or pay me later"...one other thing to consider...if something on the WFCO goes bad and needs replacement, you might have to replace entire unit and rework you wiring...with the Deltrans you would simply replace the unit...one would hope these considerations would never come into play and are probably not that big a deal
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets