heating a tear

Anything electric, AC or DC

heating a tear

Postby BrwBier » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:03 pm

For when you are hooked to shore power. Does anyone have any thoughts on using under floor radiant electric grids?
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:01 am

Might be a "shorter way around the barn"....
http://store.electricblanketupgrade.com/index.html
They even have one that is 12/110 volt switchable.

kurt
Last edited by kurtibm on Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:59 am

Is it human nature to take something simple and try to complicate it? Is it the winter doldrums?

One reason I mention this is I use a $18.00 box heater in my tear... the heater is on the top shelf, the warmth stratifies. I'm cool, but I put my hand up near the ceiling and it is 10 degrees warmer.... so, I add a fan to circulate the air.. now, all night, the heater goes off and on, the fan runs with a constant buzz...... finally I decided, I don't care. I'll let the heat sit up near the ceiling and the heater go off and on all night and I'll get rid of the buzzing fan.....

About radiant heat... I actually like the idea of it, but implementation might take a bit of doing, and I agree below the mattress makes little sense.... but, I think it migth be better in the walls than in the ceiling.... kind of fascinating, and it would be quiet. And, the wall are cold and I'm right next to them. Warm walls are good... I had even thought about adding a bit of carpet on them so when I touch them in the middle of the night it would feel better, but warm walls, now that would be great.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

carpet on walls, etc

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:35 am

Tell me what I don't know.... Can you not put a heating blanket on your mattress, then a sheet on that then sleep on that? So you have the heated blanket under you ?

Carpet on the walls... I have toyed with that idea, for sound proofing, texture, and a little extra layer of insulation that would be easier on the touch... kinda like putting a rug on a wood floor.

Julie

BREDBOX starts '06! :ok:
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:37 am

An electric blanket doesn't draw much, and they have 12v versions (not sure about the draw on those).

One thing about cold weather camping is many c/g's close for the winter. I expect when I head to FL from New England in Jan/Feb, I'll have to do some checking to find a place open after the first day's driving.. once I get further south, I don't expect a problem.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby toypusher » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:37 am

toypusher
Site Admin

heating a tear

Postby BrwBier » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:56 pm

First to Arnereil, of course we have to make it complicated first, that's how you pare it down to something simpler.
To Oklahomajewel, anyone can throw a electric blanket on, but what's the fun in that. It's a guy thing, we need to make it more technical than that.
To Toypusher, Now I think that the bunk warmer may be just the thing I was looking for, thanks.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Heating

Postby Big guy Tiny Tear » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:19 am

If you do have the room to install take a look it this heater www.eheat.com. I think I'm going to try to put it in my tear with a small fan. :thinking: Model#0604
Time to go camping!!!!!!
Big guy Tiny Tear
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:31 am

Bwrbier and all,

Don't rule out a forced air furnace just yet...

It works well, heating my teardrop up in just a few minutes; it's vented, so you never have to worry about carbon monoxide poisioning; it gets it's fresh air from outside; and it runs on propane, so you can stay warm off the grid, or on.

Check out the thread here...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 2488#22488

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:54 am

The eheat looks good, as I very rarely do not have power, even if outside a friends house while traveling... I like the quiet part... the heater is $80.00 and the thermostat is about $50... that's a kind of heavy hit for heat when a quartz heater is about $20.00 at h/d.... And the eheat will take the cold air and circulate it as it heats... a good concept. the box heate I use now has a level of hot air at the top, but the bottom, near the mattress remains noticeably cooler.

So, I do like the concept and will give it some thought....thank you for the link..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Q » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 am

Yes, I use the same unit. Got it out of an old camper I bought for cheap. I did have to play around with the location of the thermostat so as not to alternately cook and freeze every half hour. The fan uses some power from the battery but a standard RV battery is enough for at least a couple very cold (below zero) nights.

Q

mikeschn wrote:Bwrbier and all,

Don't rule out a forced air furnace just yet...

It works well, heating my teardrop up in just a few minutes; it's vented, so you never have to worry about carbon monoxide poisioning; it gets it's fresh air from outside; and it runs on propane, so you can stay warm off the grid, or on.

Check out the thread here...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 2488#22488

Mike...
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 am

Q wrote:Yes, I use the same unit. Got it out of an old camper I bought for cheap. I did have to play around with the location of the thermostat so as not to alternately cook and freeze every half hour. The fan uses some power from the battery but a standard RV battery is enough for at least a couple very cold (below zero) nights.

Q

I think the main difference is you bent your exhaust at 90* while I bent the ductwork 90*.

I don't have the photo of your heater installation... do you have a copy handy? A shot from the inside and a shot from the galley?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:17 pm

arnereil wrote:An electric blanket doesn't draw much, and they have 12v versions (not sure about the draw on those).

One thing about cold weather camping is many c/g's close for the winter. I expect when I head to FL from New England in Jan/Feb, I'll have to do some checking to find a place open after the first day's driving.. once I get further south, I don't expect a problem.

Arne,

If you can make it south of Richmond by the end of the first day, I think you'll be OK. There are lots of year-round CG's along 95 that stay open all-year for the Florida traffic.

We did it in 2 days, stopping in North Carolina.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:29 pm

I watched the E-Heat demo video. they say it should be turned on for 24 hours in advance of using it, and it is designed to stay on full time. Since it is only 400 watta, and is a passive heating system, that starts my brain turning over ideas to "do it myself and save $$". Why not use several light bulbs, or a heat lamp, in a aluminum enclosure that would allow air to pass through, but block the light from bothering you at night. This could be built for a few dolalrs, and be just as efficient, if not as space saving. Such a home-built unit could even be mounted outside, or in the galley of a tear, with air inlet and return from the cabin.

A small fan could be added to move more air. Small PC fans are quiet. I found a discarded CPU heat sink and fan when I took some scrap metal to be sold, and picked it up. I tried it at home, touching the wires to my truck battery, and it moves quite a bit of air with hardly a sound.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chip » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:08 pm

Iffin ya connected to shore power,,, no problem,,,, a standard electric blanket and a small box heater/fan set on lowest setting, crack open the windows a little for fresh air,, this combination kept the coldest natured little woman happy in mid 30 degree temps,,, in fact she actually cut the blanket off after it was warmed up inside,,, Now getting her outside in the cold to make the first pot of coffee,,, well never mind Ill just get up,,,, somethings ya just dont ask for,,,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets