The Fantastic Fan Order..

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The Fantastic Fan Order..

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:28 pm

I know this was discussed someplace but cant remember where :thinking:

Im going to order the Fantastic Fan but which thickness would you recommend? and if I should order a Fan with 2 or 3 speeds and reverse
fan - possibilites?? The reason I ask is there is so many models of these.
and its a bit confusing as to pick out the most suitable one... :? And shipping is so faraway.. so we thought its better to ask 1st...

Also Id prefer to order slim model so it would look good as well? With a smoke color ...

could you recommend a fan for us?

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:37 pm

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/index.htm

If you email them with your roof thickness they will give you the correct garnish. And they have several different styles/modeels low profile, and colored dome options
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:08 pm

They are all the same thickness, it just depends on where you want it to stick out, on the inside or the outside. Mine is flush on the inside, but the top isn't too bad. I have a 1 1/8in thick roof.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:59 pm

Finn....when you get the fan it will have a plastic flange on it that you can trim down to fit your purpose...I would imagine that you are going to insulate the roof right? Mine is 1 1/2...check my album and you can see how it fits up....I've got the 3 speed with reversable...works great for me...I think that one of the options is the thermostatically controlled motor...didn't get that option...maybe someone else on the forum did and they can comment on it....I've slept in some pretty hot temps in the tear and the reversable motor is a great option...just my opinion....doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:52 am

Ken A Hood wrote:http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/index.htm

If you email them with your roof thickness they will give you the correct garnish. And they have several different styles/modeels low profile, and colored dome options

Heikki, this is the guy I got my fan from, 3sp reversible. low profile with smoked/flat dome...the were really great to work with and they made damn sure I got what I wanted before they shipped...I highly recommend them
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:09 am

Thanks Guys! I really like the looks of that FINNTASTIC FAN 8) 8)
Did I spell that right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:31 am

Finn, I think you'll really like this fan. Lots of air movement and quiet too.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:21 am

Hey, guys--want to tell him the dimensions he's supposed to frame the roof for that? I forget--14" something?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:27 am

14.25 inches by 14.25 inches...................................................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:35 am

I was looking on that fan web and it has so many different model numbers. according to the space or size of area..

I noticed some of the framing for the fan.. That looks easy enough to do.

Thanks for all the necessary info...I have also heard from Cary that they
work real nicely..and a lot cheaper than those that we have available here regardless of the shipping from the USA..

The smoke color cover or lid will fit the color of them windows too...

Ohhh cool :twisted: Were rollin along everyday with somthing... :thumbsup:

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:42 am

Finn, even though you frame the opening 14.25 by 14.25 (I knew Madjack would know that), depending on the dimensions of your spar lumber, you may have to add extra sticks of lumber around that framing.

In other words, when you go to screw the fan in, the screws may just go into air. Know what I mean? Like for mine, the 1 by 2s I used weren't wide enough, so I had to add extra 1 by 2s around it.

Thank God someone told me this before I framed mine, and before I skinned. If you have your fan before you skin, you're cool, because you can test the fit.
Last edited by Ira on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:42 am

Heikki....get the 4000r 3sp reversible no tstat..if you want a tstat get the 5000rbt model................................ 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:50 am

Has anyone bought their Create-A-Breeze fan? It has the same basic features of the model 4000 (3 spd, no reverse, manual open), but is $28 cheaper. I wonder if it is as quiet, or as efficient, or will last as long. They only say it is made with different plastic, therefore cheaper. They also don't say if it is as large as the regular models, and it only comes in one model...no options for dome, profile, etc. like the standard models.

Not that I am considering buying it, just wondering. I think I'm going with the 4000 low profile with white tranluscent dome. I'm not concerned with mounting, as I'm getting the fan before I construct the mounting in the roof. Even though my roof is slightly curved, my fan mount will be flat on top and bottom, and will have the thickness necessary for a nice fit with no protrusion on the inside to bump my head on. In other words, get the fan first and make the roof mount to fit the fan, not vice versa.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Namsayn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:58 am

Well since Steve Frederick put mine in for me I have no info on installation. That said, I have used it some and have two comments. First, I can't imagine needing any but the lowest speed because it really moves a lot of air in such a small space. Second, I really like the thermostat for this reason: I usually camp with a bunch of rowdy ww kayakers and like to head for bed much earlier than they do. I turn the fan on exhaust (to move air and help cut the outside noise) and set the thermostat to the highest temp for it to stay running. Usually by the early morning hours the night air has cooled and the rowdy kids have passed out--taa-daa! The fan turns itself off. Works great.
Also it is my notion that these fans are designed for much larger campers and therefore move a lot of air for a TD? Others would know more about that aspect, no?
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 am

Yupper - Im going to insulate the ceiling for sure...

Looks like not that much more for the thermostat one since Im ordering from so far away...
I may regret later if I dont.. oh well matter of preference I guess..

Looks like they have sent them all over the world.

Classic Finn :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Next

Return to General Discussion