Cool LED Lights

Anything electric, AC or DC

Cool LED Lights

Postby sid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:51 pm

For those looking for lightweight lights with a super low profile, this is a neat item. I have seen them in amber before, but not white. They could be inlaid almost anywhere, and it's not too bad of a price for LED lighting. Very little drain on the battery too. I just wish I knew how much light they actually put out..... anyone using LED's now?

ebay cool lights

Here's de pic with de post Mad Jack......

sid

How's this for the greatest partner in the world!???
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi Sid,

Looks like a pretty neat light...wish I could think of a place to use one!

I'm using a 50 LED. strip light in the galley.
It is supposed to be a "warm" white.
It has 25 white, and 25 amber led's in an alternating pattern.
The light is warm, but if they were all white, I would be happier with the output.
The strip light pre made was 20 bucks. To make the same setup with pieces and parts would cost me 50-200 dollars.

I've experimented with several led lights and combinations, and if you really want lots of light, leds CAN do it, if you have plenty of money.

The technology is still too expensive for a tinkerer like me to create something that rivals a 60 watt light bulb.

Some day...

I picked up an under counter spotlight from Menards last week.
Cost ten bucks. 9 leds, very bright in a 12" circle 24" above the counter.
Three of them (30 bucks) would light up a galley well, but pricey for what they are.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby John Foote » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:52 am

Given that I'm no expert, what research I've done was less than convincing on the energy savings potential for bright white LED's.

IIRC, you save SOME juice, 30% or so, but not the 70%+ of the reds and other colors.

Also, I read somewhere that white LED's are either very, very expensive, or the cheaper ones are just tricked out, over-cooked colored LED's that don't stay white very long.

I'm interested to learn if this is true or not...
John Foote
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:54 am

I've been using LEDs in my trailer and I'm happy with them. I get them from here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

I've found you have to be carefull and read the voltage rating of the LED you plan to use. They are very sensitive to voltage and will burn out lickity split if they are overdriven. So that fancy 3 stage battery charger that rises to 14.5V will burn out the LEDs in about 8-10 hours if you don't pick the right LED.

I also had trouble with fluorescent lights. I used a cheapy JC whitney model in my galley and the tubes burned out the first time I camped in cold weather. I replaced them and they burned out the next time it got cold. I'm replacing the lamps with LED strips.

The LEDs are a little more monochromatic (mostly blue light) than I like but, for me, they are the best compromise between battery life and light output. Here's some pictures of the LED lights I made for our trailer

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebdosborn/tea ... htBar.html

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets