12 volt versus 120V

Anything electric, AC or DC

12 volt versus 120V

Postby Gary T » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:43 pm

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but here it goes:
Is there some reason why I couldn't make my trailer all 120 volt and just use a power inverter to convert 12volt to 120?
Seems like it would be a lot cheaper, and easier to source.
Am I missing something?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

GT
Gary T.

The mind is like a parachute. It works much better when open.
Gary T
Donating Member

Postby Q » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 pm

GT,

I don't see any problem with that at all. My PV solar powered home works the same way, with a 12V battery bank through an inverter into the mains. You'll loose about 10% efficency through the inverter, but that's usually not a big deal.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:26 pm

That's how mine is wired. When shore power is aval. I'll use it. Later on I will add an inverter and batteries as needed.
Just my .02 worth..
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:26 pm

Like Q said...sure but be aware that besides that 10% penalty, some 120v appliances will suck a battery dry inna hurry,,,such things as AC, microwave, stoves...even some lights, which would be better, efficiency wise run as 12v...my preference would be to run everything as 12v and use a battery over power supply to run most items and run a 120 curcuit for AC, microwave or other such items, that would only be powered when shore power was available...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:46 pm

Jack I agree. However I'm just a simple person with simple needs. t.v./vcr combo and very few lights. Incase of bad weather. Small battery power fan for the warmer days.
Also, I WILL allow better power options on the next one :worship: :lol:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:53 pm

Steven...we have AC...that is the only 120 we have besides a CHEAP 3stage charger...some 12v lights and fan and a couple of 12v outlets...nothing near as fancy as some of the setups I have seen on the board
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Gary T » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:28 am

I dont forsee camping for longer than a couple of days, and most times(99%) there will be shore power(campground).Any idea how long a battery would last with minimal use. I plan on having a few interior lights a galley light, stereo/TV/ Satalite. Don't plan on a fridge or a microwave. Pretty basic, a cooler a coleman stove and no furthur than 10 min from a beer store.
Gary T.

Gary T
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:22 am

...with no more usage than you claim a fully charged battery should last 3 days+...Ira has wired his TD for 120Vac only, saying that any campground without shorepower is to rough for him to camp at...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:27 am

I would wire for both just in case you change your mind. It is easier to add to your build than add it later ( especially with sandwich wall construction). I am glad that I wired for both and yes you can have the best of both worlds with 12 vdc and 120 vac systems camping. You never know where you might end up camping someday down the road. I have used both systems separately and combined when camping. Just my thoughts on the subject. Just make sure you install ground wires unlike someone we know (Ira) did during their build and you will be fine
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TomS » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:54 pm

At a minimumI would wire your lights and vent fan for 12-volt DC. You never know when you might find yourself in a situation without shore power. If you don't want to install a battery, you could put in a converter. In a pinch, you could run your lights off your tow vehicle, provided you are careful not to run the battery down.

Ira had difficulty finding a 120 Volt fan for the Crab. I don't know if he ever found one.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gary T » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:34 pm

I had that idea as well. I did a little more research into 12volt products and other than the vent fan they are priced reasonably. I guess I could run home runs back to a central location and just cover the exposed wires in the interior with some kind of cap.
As far as a fan goes with a little creative sheet metal work I bet this would do the job well and still be quite
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... pNo=706428
Thanks again for all the help

Should have my trailer kit Monday

Have a great Saturday
Gary T.

Gary T
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 am

TomS wrote:At a minimumI would wire your lights and vent fan for 12-volt DC. You never know when you might find yourself in a situation without shore power. If you don't want to install a battery, you could put in a converter. In a pinch, you could run your lights off your tow vehicle, provided you are careful not to run the battery down.

Ira had difficulty finding a 120 Volt fan for the Crab. I don't know if he ever found one.

Northern Breeze had the 120, but I put one in without a fan. I know it's a plus, but I have the AC, and I didn't want to spend the money at the time. The no-fan vent I bought was only like 20 bucks total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Return to Electrical Secrets