Can I use this with this to DO this?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Can I use this with this to DO this?

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:40 am

Having a heck of a time finding the 30 amp female adaptor for my electrical inlet box. I can probably find something with a cable attached, but they charge a FORTUNE for those at the marine stores.

Here's the 30 amp inlet that I have:

http://marinco.securesites.net/scpt/Pro ... creational

Here's the 30 amp female adaptor that I NEED and can connect to a heavy duty cord:

http://marinco.securesites.net/scpt/Pro ... creational

Will I die if just FOR NOW, just to get everything tested and working, I use this 20 amp adaptor instead?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... /311/310/9

I REALLY want to get some wiring done tomorrow, but I can't do a THING without that adaptor, and I've been calling all over town.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Arne » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 pm

30 amps is a lot... why do you need it.?

I used a connector I could connect a regular extension cord to....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

adapter

Postby JIML1943 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:18 pm

H ira if you just need something for testing i saw a reverse adapter at my local WALLY WORLD the other day, it was 30 amp female to 15 amp male you could plug it into a drop cord.it was only a few bucks.

Happy camping Jim :thinking:
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Jim, does the 30amp female side have the same configuration as the pins in the inlet that I showed in that link?

I'm so ignorant with this stuff--does it have the "holes" on the female side to accommodate those little catches on the end that lock-twist?

And Arn, I have a 30amp shore power inlet because my electric panel is 30amp.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

adapter

Postby JIML1943 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:35 pm

can't say for sure ira 30 amp should the same unless thats a twist lock.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:32 pm

I've seen them on eBay for around $20-25. I'm not at home, but I have an eBay seller's store saved in my favourites. They sell all kinds of electrical products, I'm sure they have what you need( and at a better price).

I'll post the link when I get home
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks. Ken--but I just got lucky. (I think.) And Jim--yeah, it has to be a twist-lock deal.

The guy from West Marine just called me back to tell me that he can pick up the original one I need from SOMEWHERE today and have it to me at his store--right near where The Crab resides--by 9AM in the morning.

It ain't cheap, $50 and change, but that's basically the going price.

It has to fit the inlet I have, be 100% weatherproof, and be 30 amp to match the inlet.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby mexican tear » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:01 pm

Ira
I have the same 30 Amp conector that you have shown, It is a big waste of money in a teardrop/. I would use a 15 anp conector like the one that they use on the Kampinn. They are not that hard to find and any regular 1 plug extension cord will plug in.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:01 am

mexican tear wrote:Ira
I have the same 30 Amp conector that you have shown, It is a big waste of money in a teardrop/. I would use a 15 anp conector like the one that they use on the Kampinn. They are not that hard to find and any regular 1 plug extension cord will plug in.

kai

See new post above.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Ira, just because you have a 30 amp panel, don't mean you have to put 30 amps to it..15 amps is more then your tear needs unless your running a A/C unit and a reefer and the entertainment center.. 8)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:09 pm

This has me thinking about my plans. I'm getting a WFCO 25 amp converter, so I assumed that I need a 30 amp input. I will be using a 5200BTU AC unit and 13" TV o n the 110VAC line, and 12V fan and lights. Should I try to get away with a 15 amp input or stay with the 30.

My shutoff breaker will be in the tongue box, so I planned on getting a 30amp cable (10ga) with plug and bare wires on the other end, or just buying a cable and cutting off the socket, and hardwire the bare end into the breaker box. The cable will go out through a standard plastic access box with lid mounted in the side of the tongue box, and be pulled into the tongue box to store it.

If anyone thinks of the battery in the same box, which it will be, it will be in it's separate compartment with a vent in the side of the box. It will be isolated from the 110VAC electrical wiring and breaker.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:26 pm

You aren't pulling anywhere near enough juice to justify a 30amp recepticle. If you use the one with the standard plug configuration an a 12 or 10 guage extension cord you will have plenty of power. The only real reason for breaking it down into more than one breaker is in case of a failure somewhere, it makes it much easier to find and lessens the likelyhood of fire.
If you consider that in your house there are anywhere from 6 - 10 outlets on one circuit (I've seen more) you aren't even close to under powered with a 15amp cord. I would suggest using a 10ga cord if going long distances but in most campgrounds you should be less than 25' from your hookup so a 12ga cord will be fine and a 15ga would do in a pinch.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:39 pm

If you're running an AC, and a microwave--about how many amps is that? Start-up amps.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:57 pm

Not enough to hurt a 12ga extension cord. Add in your 32" TV a coffee maker your game console, a couple 100 watt lights and it still wouldn't be upset with you.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:03 pm

seven
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets